LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Minifig faces and primitive substitution - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Authoring (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Minifig faces and primitive substitution (/thread-23881.html)

Minifig faces and primitive substitution - N. W. Perry - 2020-02-07

A post in the Stud.io forum touches on an issue that I've been thinking about, so to follow on with that discussion…

Briefly stated, in programs that use hi-res primitive substitutions, when the minifig head is rendered it tends to leave the patterned face portion unchanged, so it sticks out from the otherwise round head and leaves visible gaps. (See the linked post for full discussion and image.)

Is it feasible that there could be a hi-res substitution created for at least the standard grin pattern, for those programs that might use it? I know there are zillions of MF faces nowadays and to do all of them would be prohibitive, but might it be worth it for at least the "classic" visage?

(Or is there indeed already a solution out there to this problem, and I just don't know about it?)

RE: Minifig faces and primitive substitution - Ulrich Röder - 2020-02-07

(2020-02-07, 6:39)N. W. Perry Wrote: A post in the Stud.io forum touches on an issue that I've been thinking about, so to follow on with that discussion…

Briefly stated, in programs that use hi-res primitive substitutions, when the minifig head is rendered it tends to leave the patterned face portion unchanged, so it sticks out from the otherwise round head and leaves visible gaps. (See the linked post for full discussion and image.)

Is it feasible that there could be a hi-res substitution created for at least the standard grin pattern, for those programs that might use it? I know there are zillions of MF faces nowadays and to do all of them would be prohibitive, but might it be worth it for at least the "classic" visage?

(Or is there indeed already a solution out there to this problem, and I just don't know about it?)

... the only good solution would be that the software in question is able to handle primitive substitution ....
as far as I know...Studio has not been able to offer that yet ... and Modo users are also lost in the landscape ...
... we can only hope that it will change soon.

Uli

RE: Minifig faces and primitive substitution - Gerald Lasser - 2020-02-07

(2020-02-07, 8:27)Ulrich Röder Wrote: ... the only good solution would be that the software in question is able to handle primitive substitution ....
as far as I know...Studio has not been able to offer that yet ... and Modo users are also lost in the landscape ...

Uli

AFAIK there is some Primitive Substitution done in Studio, which also leads to these artifacts on top of the barrel. That's why I have changed it.

for the minifig head, may be it would be best to inline the torus? , then no substitution is done...

RE: Minifig faces and primitive substitution - Philippe Hurbain - 2020-02-07

I have thought a lot about these issues in the past. IMHO the only sensible way to cope with primitive substitution next to patterns is to use texmap!

RE: Minifig faces and primitive substitution - N. W. Perry - 2020-02-07

(2020-02-07, 8:27)Ulrich Röder Wrote: ... the only good solution would be that the software in question is able to handle primitive substitution ....

What might be causing the issue in Studio then, if not primitive substitution?

(2020-02-07, 9:28)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I have thought a lot about these issues in the past. IMHO the only sensible way to cope with primitive substitution next to patterns is to use texmap!

That occurred to me too, but I wasn't sure how it would be put into practice. Is the idea that programs would be able to render their own hi-res substitute parts—the full minifig head, for example—and then apply to texture to that? (I'm not entirely sure what goes on behind the scenes of primitive substitution.)

RE: Minifig faces and primitive substitution - Philippe Hurbain - 2020-02-07

(2020-02-07, 17:44)N. W. Perry Wrote: What might be causing the issue in Studio then, if not primitive substitution?

That occurred to me too, but I wasn't sure how it would be put into practice. Is the idea that programs would be able to render their own hi-res substitute parts—the full minifig head, for example—and then apply to texture to that? (I'm not entirely sure what goes on behind the scenes of primitive substitution.)
Studio DOES "some" primitive substitution...
For texmap result with primitive substitution, see eg. https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-4261-post-5008.html#pid5008
Texmapping image was rather lo-res, but that can easily be improved Wink