LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Different Stud Text - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Authoring (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Different Stud Text (/thread-23858.html)

Different Stud Text - Gerald Lasser - 2020-01-22

There is a thread on the LEGO-logo modeling but one thing I could not find there:

There are studs that read "LEGO" and there are studs that read "SCALA" (I found some more crazy parts, like the Scala Baseplate and Supports...)

How is e.g. LDView (or LDPE) deciding what to put on top of a stud? Are they only looking for a "stud.dat"?

How can they forced to pick another logo? Of course it must be another name for the stud, but is this assignment in the code or in a config file?

I modeled the SCALA text and redid the (solid) Scala studs as there are three different ones. In the picture I added the text manually.

RE: Different Stud Text - Travis Cobbs - 2020-01-23

(2020-01-22, 23:31)Gerald Lasser Wrote: How is e.g. LDView (or LDPE) deciding what to put on top of a stud? Are they only looking for a "stud.dat"?

When primitive substitution is enabled, LDView looks for "stud.dat" (or "stu2.dat" when running in low-res mode), and uses a disc with a LEGO texture on it in that case instead of an unadorned disc. (It also keeps track of mirroring to ensure that the logo itself is never mirrored.) There could be other primitives that deserve a LEGO logo, but LDView doesn't support doing so with them. If you have a Scala part, and that contains a stud that is identical to a LEGO stud in every way except for the logo on top, I personally think it would still be best not to use stud.dat on that part.

RE: Different Stud Text - Chris Dee - 2020-01-23

(2020-01-23, 1:55)Travis Cobbs Wrote: When primitive substitution is enabled, LDView looks for "stud.dat" (or "stu2.dat" when running in low-res mode), and uses a disc with a LEGO texture on it in that case instead of an unadorned disc. (It also keeps track of mirroring to ensure that the logo itself is never mirrored.) There could be other primitives that deserve a LEGO logo, but LDView doesn't support doing so with them. If you have a Scala part, and that contains a stud that is identical to a LEGO stud in every way except for the logo on top, I personally think it would still be best not to use stud.dat on that part.

I agree. I think the reference to stud.dat in p/stud5.dat should be inlined. Similarly 8\stud.dat in p/8/stud5.dat.

RE: Different Stud Text - Gerald Lasser - 2020-01-23

Travis, Thanks for your explanation.

Chris, I planned to submit the Scala-studs in the pictures, which involves also the re-done stud5

I would suggest to assign a new stud primitive to the center stud that can sport the Scala-Logo in future, i.e. where programs can look for it and place the corresponding logo on top.

RE: Different Stud Text - Chris Dee - 2020-01-23

(2020-01-23, 11:05)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Travis, Thanks for your explanation.

Chris, I planned to submit the Scala-studs in the pictures, which involves also the re-done stud5

I would suggest to assign a new stud primitive to the center stud that can sport the Scala-Logo in future, i.e. where programs can look for it and place the corresponding logo on top.

I don't think it is necessary to have a new primitive for the centre of the Scala stud - just apply the logo to the stud5.