LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Tourguide or walktrough animation - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Tourguide or walktrough animation (/thread-23778.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Tourguide or walktrough animation - Philippe Hurbain - 2020-05-10

(2020-05-10, 15:26)kevlamar Wrote: this is probably the most rookie question ever, but i have been trying to figure this out for a long time and just have to ask...
"how do you do an inventory search?"  I see the little man with magnifying glass, but clicking on him just open a subcategory that has no parts in it!    i can also use the filter feature to narrow down to a certain part but i have to have the right subcategory open first.
That's precisely the purpose of minifig with magnifying glass bin: search regardless of category. But you have to enter some filter text to see parts appear...
Otherwise, you can have a look at my roller coaster test (post 3 of this thread) for a usage example that works in 3D and not only at ground level.

RE: Tourguide or walktrough animation - kevlamar - 2020-05-10

(2020-05-09, 22:20)Roland Melkert Wrote: 4: Open the windows file explorer and using the mouse drag the .lua file onto the LDCad program window while your model is open in it.
7: In the top menu bar their is a 'scripting' item inside it is an item with the name of the current open file, inside that item their is an item "Minifig tour". Use that to start the animation.

A 150 thousand part model might not be able to animate in realtime (at 25fps), you would need to lower the frame rate or export it to a collection of png files which you can combine into a movie using a video editor.
i am really close but here is what the scripting console window shows when i try to run the minifig script
[string "tour.lua"]:140: Active refline link needed.

i am able to run the tour file fine and initiate the minifugure tour. 

i open the ldr file the drag the .lua file into the window. the first time i did it, i was given two choices that i didnt understand and i selected one. now i am no longer given those options even though i have deleted and recreated all the files fresh

what an i doing wrong?

RE: Tourguide or walktrough animation - Roland Melkert - 2020-05-10

(2020-05-10, 17:46)kevlamar Wrote: what an i doing wrong?
Nothing, I forgot to mention there needs to be a submodel with the name:

fig.ldr

the script uses it to position the camera.

(2020-05-10, 17:53)Roland Melkert Wrote: Nothing, I forgot to mention there needs to be a submodel with the name:

fig.ldr

the script uses it to position the camera.
Oh yeah, now we are going places!   is it possible to position the camera to look straight ahead?

this is exactly what i had in mind.

Would you consider doing some tutoring via zoom helping me get a handle on the process of rendering animations and pov-ray in general.  would be glad to pay up front with Paypal $30 hr  or do you know anyone who from the community that would.  My objective is to create pov-ray video animations.  

Kevin

(2020-05-10, 19:30)kevlamar Wrote: Would you consider doing some tutoring via zoom helping me get a handle on the process of rendering animations and pov-ray in general.
I'm very busy this week, but I'll try to answer any question asked here as I often visit the site in my breaks.

(2020-05-10, 15:42)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: you can have a look at my roller coaster test (post 3 of this thread) for a usage example that works in 3D and not only at ground level.
Did you compensate the ori matrix for the deforming my initial version has ?

Should only need a simple crossproduct if you don't actually do loops.

(2020-05-10, 20:50)Roland Melkert Wrote: I'm very busy this week, but I'll try to answer any question asked here as I often visit the site in my breaks.
thanks. i was able to open the source code to the .lua file in a text editor and found the setting i was looking for.  i will continue to play with it as i put the for the time being. I am still a little way from having my model completed.  once it is finished i will likely need some help videoing it

thanks
kevin

RE: Tourguide or walktrough animation - kevlamar - 2020-05-23

(2020-05-10, 21:30)kevlamar Wrote: thanks. i was able to open the source code to the .lua file in a text editor and found the setting i was looking for.  i will continue to play with it as i put the for the time being. I am still a little way from having my model completed.  once it is finished i will likely need some help videoing it

thanks
kevin
roland i got the script working fine in small models and have learned how to make some basic alterations to the script but when i tryed to run it in my large model i get this error msg:  

Playback is too slow for 25 fps at an avg frame time of 145.31ms.

how do i drop the frames per second down to a lower level.  i have scrolled through the lua script several times but do not see any obvious tags that say 25 fps.  am i overlooking it? if so can you tell me about what line it is on. or maybe does fps need to be set in ldraw?  can you help me out?

RE: Tourguide or walktrough animation - Roland Melkert - 2020-05-23

(2020-05-23, 20:17)kevlamar Wrote: how do i drop the frames per second down to a lower level.  i have scrolled through the lua script several times but do not see any obvious tags that say 25 fps.  am i overlooking it? if so can you tell me about what line it is on. or maybe does fps need to be set in ldraw?  can you help me out?

FPS can be set using the session panel. For this move your mouse over the file name area in the top right corner of the editing space.

On the animation tab there is an indication of the current fps, click it to change it.

RE: Tourguide or walktrough animation - Moreau - 2020-05-25

(2019-12-06, 1:59)Roland Melkert Wrote: I liked the idea of an animated model tour from a minifig's perspective a lot (see  https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23512-post-34790.html#pid34790)

So I made a start on a generic script for it, to be included with LDCad 1.6c

Many things can be improved, but I'm very proud on the fact this was 'doable' without finding any bugs out of the box.

Attached a demo.

Any feedback / ideas on improvements are welcome.

A appropriate (big) model for testing purposes would be appreciated too.

edit:
This animation takes over the camera during playback. You can disable/enable that by clicking the 'CAM' label in the top right session panel in animation mode.
i tried deleting a few lines i thought might be restricting the camera angle of view but must have deleted too many lines so i ended up trashing tho whole script since there was nothing i could do to restore it. I'm still not sure though how to release the camera angle in a way that won't return to preset with every frame. i also have not found out how the script knows which "breadcrumb" to GOTO next in the line on the model. any hints?