LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Retire MPD - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Official File Specifications/Standards (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Retire MPD (/thread-23610.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Retire MPD - Johann Eisner - 2019-08-16

(2019-08-15, 20:43)Roland Melkert Wrote: There are some tools, like:

reorganize/detach content (on a selection)
session/detach this subfile

but for mass conversion I suggest using mpdcenter as the selection detach isn't applied recursively.
As already mentioned, I never thought I would become a diehard LDCad'er.
What has completely changed in the meantime, and I already regret that I did not change earlier.
Were probably the perfect MLCad tutorials from Willy. Big Grin
I am also completely satisfied with the program. Sometimes it is just whining at a very high level.

RE: Retire MPD - Max Martin Richter - 2019-08-17

I'm completely fine with having the mpd beside ldr and dat extension.
It shows perfectly, what is inside a model.
dat -> for parts (and subparts)
ldr -> for single models
mpd -> for models with submodels or several single models.

Therefor  I don't like the idea to retire the mpd extension.

/Max

RE: Retire MPD - Philippe Hurbain - 2019-08-17

(2019-08-17, 17:58)Max Martin Richter Wrote: I'm completely fine with having the mpd beside ldr and dat extension.
It shows perfectly, what is inside a model.
dat -> for parts (and subparts)
ldr -> for single models
mpd -> for models with submodels or several single models.

Therefor  I don't like the idea to retire the mpd extension.

/Max
+1...

RE: Retire MPD - Travis Cobbs - 2019-08-17

I'm going to go on record stating that I totally disagree with all of these claims that knowing that a model is "multi-part" has any value at all to the average user. A model is a model is a model. Whether or not the author of that model chose to split it up into sub-models has absolutely no bearing on what it is. And any MPD can of course be flattened, which results in a model that is indistinguishable to the end user, but very different internally. Confusing users by having two separate file extensions for "ldraw models" is, in my opinion, a bad thing.

RE: Retire MPD - Philippe Hurbain - 2019-08-18

You have a point...

RE: Retire MPD - Orion Pobursky - 2019-09-23

(2019-08-17, 22:03)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I'm going to go on record stating that I totally disagree with all of these claims that knowing that a model is "multi-part" has any value at all to the average user. A model is a model is a model. Whether or not the author of that model chose to split it up into sub-models has absolutely no bearing on what it is. And any MPD can of course be flattened, which results in a model that is indistinguishable to the end user, but very different internally. Confusing users by having two separate file extensions for "ldraw models" is, in my opinion, a bad thing.

I'd like to revive this discussion. Everything Travis write above I agree with. I'll go one step further in saying unless someone can come up with a really good reason why we shouldn't retire mpd, then we should. There will be less confusion going forward (LDCad and Bricksmith all ready save mpd files as ldr by default) and existing mpd files will still work.

RE: Retire MPD - Lasse Deleuran - 2019-09-23

(2019-09-23, 17:14)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'd like to revive this discussion. Everything Travis write above I agree with. I'll go one step further in saying unless someone can come up with a really good reason why we shouldn't retire mpd, then we should. There will be less confusion going forward (LDCad and Bricksmith all ready save mpd files as ldr by default) and existing mpd files will still work.
It would make life easier for me as I do not have to arbitrarily decide when a file is an LDR and when it is an MPD. It can still be handles as a legacy format, like old Excel formats and such - only the conversion is trivial here.

RE: Retire MPD - Roland Melkert - 2019-09-23

(2019-09-23, 17:14)Orion Pobursky Wrote: There will be less confusion going forward (LDCad and Bricksmith all ready save mpd files as ldr by default) and existing mpd files will still work.

LDCad saves as mpd if the current (new) model has submodels, otherwise it will save new files as ldr.

I could remove that from the upcoming 1.6d to let it always save as ldr, or make it an option.

RE: Retire MPD - Willy Tschager - 2019-09-23

(2019-09-23, 17:41)Roland Melkert Wrote:  the upcoming 1.6d

1.6d ??? What happend to that 2.0 project with the new GUI? (Addmidately the new themes posted the other day are a giant leap forward). I still have plans to rewrite the MLCad tutorials for LDCad, but ... but only if ... you know how much I hate your menus.

w.

RE: Retire MPD - Johann Eisner - 2019-09-23

(2019-09-23, 18:43)Willy Tschager Wrote: 1.6d ??? What happend to that 2.0 project with the new GUI? (Addmidately the new themes posted the other day are a giant leap forward). I still have plans to rewrite the MLCad tutorials for LDCad, but ... but only if ... you know how much I hate your menus.

w.

https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23672-post-34043.html#pid34043