LDraw.org Discussion Forums
3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw.org Announcements (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-1.html)
+--- Thread: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker (/thread-23540.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Magnus Forsberg - 2019-07-23

(2019-07-23, 7:10)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: Does anyone know if it is on purpose that one of the transparent sections has more surfaces, hence the darker hue of the transparent section?

I don't see any error in the code of that part, but also doesn't understand where you think you see an error. This part should have four transparent sections, three LBG sections and one DBG section. Could you place an arrow or a ring around the issue?

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Lasse Deleuran - 2019-07-23

(2019-07-23, 7:26)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I don't see any error in the code of that part, but also doesn't understand where you think you see an error. This part should have four transparent sections, three LBG sections and one DBG section. Could you place an arrow or a ring around the issue?
Check out the darkness of the top left and bottom right windows. in the picture. They show darker panes than the rest of the transparent sections. This is due to additional transparent (color 40) triangles being drawn on top of each other.

Either there are multiple parts lying on top of each other, or I have made an error in the renderer.

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Magnus Forsberg - 2019-07-23

(2019-07-23, 8:06)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: Either there are multiple parts lying on top of each other, or I have made an error in the renderer.

I can't see anything wrong in the part, or its subparts, that would create extra surfaces. The four trans window panes are created by using the same subfile four times, one for each pane. If there was something wrong, you ought to have the same error in all four.

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Lasse Deleuran - 2019-07-23

(2019-07-23, 9:54)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I can't see anything wrong in the part, or its subparts, that would create extra surfaces. The four trans window panes are created by using the same subfile four times, one for each pane. If there was something wrong, you ought to have the same error in all four.
This tells me that the renderer is making a mistake. I will look into it.

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Travis Cobbs - 2019-07-23

(2019-07-23, 10:01)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: This tells me that the renderer is making a mistake. I will look into it.

I don't see the problem when viewing the part from a similar angle in LDView:

[attachment=3863]

--Travis

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Orion Pobursky - 2019-07-23

This is now implemented

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Travis Cobbs - 2019-07-23

(2019-07-23, 22:30)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This is now implemented

Turning on BFC highlighting on 44375bps0 no results in no display. (There is initially no update, but when you then spin, it disappears.)

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Orion Pobursky - 2019-07-23

(2019-07-23, 23:37)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Turning on BFC highlighting on 44375bps0 no results in no display. (There is initially no update, but when you then spin, it disappears.)

Seems to work on my phone. Try a ctrl-shift-r to reload the cached scripts.

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Lasse Deleuran - 2019-07-24

(2019-07-23, 17:28)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I don't see the problem when viewing the part from a similar angle in LDView:

--Travis

I have found the issue. It is due to how WebGL handles drawing order. I have reduced the error to these 3 transparent quads for an example:

[Image: t2hEM3S.png]

There is one big quad in the background, and two smaller quads flying in front of it. All in the same color (trans black color 40).

On the top of the right side you can see they are in the same geometry, so they are belonging to the same "Object" being drawn by WebGL.

The reason why only one of them works correctly is their order in the object: The small left triangle comes first, then the big one, and the failing one to the right comes last.

WebGL only renders transparent triangles correctly when they are drawn before the stuff behind. This is the reason why I am separating transparent and opaque stuff in the code base. Unfortunately I do not know how to fix this issue without either making all transparent geometries not culled, or do some crazy inefficient sorting before rendering.

So what do you guys think? Is this a big enough issue to reduce efficiency by not culling transparent elements, or should it just be left like this?

RE: 3D Part Preview added to Parts Tracker - Orion Pobursky - 2019-07-24

How noticable can these errors be? If it's something that will be noticed only for those who know about the error or only under extreme zoom then I think it's a non-issue.