LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Too many decimals..... - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Authoring (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Too many decimals..... (/thread-23422.html)

Too many decimals..... - Victor Di Rienzo - 2019-05-17

Guys I'm using ldpattern and i have summited some models. Sometimesi got this type of reviews letting me that 2 or 3 devimals its enough. What does it means and how do i do this?

Quote:Reviewer: MagFors
Certification: certify
Comments:

To many decimals. 2, or 3, is enough.

RE: Too many decimals..... - Orion Pobursky - 2019-05-17

(2019-05-17, 11:22)Victor Di Rienzo Wrote: Guys I'm using ldpattern and i have summited some models. Sometimesi got this type of reviews letting me that 2 or 3 devimals its enough. What does it means and how do i do this?

The Library file format restrictions, the number of digits after the decimal should be, at most, 3. This isn’t a hard limit but I’d just stick with 3 unless you can articulate a good reason

RE: Too many decimals..... - Victor Di Rienzo - 2019-05-17

(2019-05-17, 13:01)Orion Pobursky Wrote: The Library file format restrictions, the number of digits after the decimal should be, at most, 3. This isn’t a hard limit but I’d just stick with 3 unless you can articulate a good reason

Yes i supposed that but how i limit the software to use only 3 decimals, so i don't edit every single number by hand. Our is a tool to do this?

Quote:Numeric Precision and Format
Precision

In general, three decimal places are sufficient for parts, sub-parts and primitives representing portions of parts that are not intended to be scaled (for example, studs, pegs, peg-holes, clips, hinge ends, etc). Four decimal places should be used for hi-res primitives and any primitives designed to be scaled (for example, cylinder sections, boxes, rectangles, discs, edges, etc) as this allows such primitives to be scaled by a factor of ten while still preserving three decimal places of accuracy. The primitives reference indicates which primitive families are not supposed to be scaled.

RE: Too many decimals..... - Philippe Hurbain - 2019-05-17

(2019-05-17, 14:01)Victor Di Rienzo Wrote: Yes i supposed that but how i limit the software to use only 3 decimals, so i don't edit every single number by hand. Our is a tool to do this?
There are many tools that can perform this automatically, among them LDPartEditor, Datheader and LDrawDesignPad.

RE: Too many decimals..... - Magnus Forsberg - 2019-05-17

(2019-05-17, 14:42)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: There are many tools that can perform this automatically, among them LDPartEditor, Datheader and LDrawDesignPad.

In Datheader open Options/Preferences and set decimal accuracy to a prefered value. I use 4/5/4 in my reviews.

In LDDP open Tools/Options/Configuration_Values/Edit Behaviour and set Decimal Accuracy

In LDPE click on Round-button. 00>0. Open settings with Ctrl+Click, on that button, or use shortcut Alt+C and set Rounding Precision.

Do you know of Unificator?
When I think I'm done with a pattern, (I use both LDDP and LDPE), I often change the settings and round off all the values to only have two decimals.
I then use Unificator, with "Snap on subfiles" activated. This gives a low number of decimals where is doesn't matter, and a higher number of decimals around curved primitives.

(2019-05-17, 16:27)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: When I think I'm done with a pattern, (I use both LDDP and LDPE), I often change the settings and round off all the values to only have two decimals.
Note that 2 decimals may not enough for 3D patterns (thin quads tend to get warped when rounded)

Thank you guys i will be implementing any of thoes apps when i make a make future pattern

i have being playing with all the recommendation that i was given

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=3039p07.dat

i have use the recomendation from UR and re made all the pattern. this is the first time im using primitives.

[Image: OMRLlvU.png]

i have run edger2 -u+ option and i got the file i have added. as you can see the red lines around the primitives. that should be that way if not how do ii fix that.

i ahve also used datheader to make some corrections.

btw i hate this brick Wink

This comes from the vertex in the middle of sides of 4-4ndis that is unmatched. But I genrally neglect this as it never causes visual issues.

ok so i will recheck the file and upload to part tracker
thank you

RE: Too many decimals..... - Magnus Forsberg - 2019-05-17

(2019-05-17, 18:50)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: This comes from the vertex in the middle of sides of 4-4ndis that is unmatched. But I genrally neglect this as it never causes visual issues.

Yes, it is accepted practice to ignore that vertex.