LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Blender LDraw import tool - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: Blender LDraw import tool (/thread-22780.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Blender LDraw import tool - Philippe Hurbain - 2018-04-02

Interesting - I imported mpd in this mode, and it renders fine...

(2018-04-02, 15:28)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: What import settings have you used exactly?
Defaults ones... Worse, it seems that my machine "contaminates" files that worked fine on other's machines (see my answer to Steffen) Sad

RE: Blender LDraw import tool - Steffen - 2018-04-02

So this has to be somehow related to your user settings I fear.
Sadly, they are binary, so cannot be compared easily Sad

What about this option ("choose which channel to render")?

[Image: choose_blender_color_channel.png]

What is the status of these configuration buttons on your machine?

(Did I mention that I HATE the goddamn complicated Blender user interface??)

RE: Blender LDraw import tool - Merlijn Wissink - 2018-04-02

(2018-04-02, 17:03)Steffen Wrote: (Did I mention that I HATE the goddamn complicated Blender user interface??)

I personally don't like it either. Although a while ago I followed a short beginner tutorial/course on Blender and after that the UI did make a lot more sense to me. But A) I forgot a lot of that over the months/years since I don't really use Blender and B) while the UI might be great for regular users, it's (in my opinion at least) a horrible experience for newcomers...

(2018-04-02, 17:03)Steffen Wrote: What is the status of these configuration buttons on your machine?
I _think_ they control just what is displayed from rendered image and have no influence on the render process itself. Choosing the green channel diplays a black image
Quote:(Did I mention that I HATE the goddamn complicated Blender user interface??)
+1!!!
Quote:So this has to be somehow related to your user settings I fear.
Not so sure since when I copy paste the objects in another scene all channels are rendered...

RE: Blender LDraw import tool - Philippe Hurbain - 2018-04-03

I installed Blender and the converter on another machine, and there it works better. I can get an image with "normal" colors when using the Cycles renderer. Unfortunately, the (faster) Blender renderer doesn't work better, providing a black shadow on grey background. Now I am not fully convinced that it is worth the trouble compared to POV:
- overall look is great
- nice little bevels on sharp edges without requiring LGEO parts
But...
- More than 1 hour to render vs. less than 3 minutes
- Weird artifacts (look at the arm shoulder of the monkey)
- Pretty clumsy to properly frame the scene compared to LDView or LDCad (OK, this may be caused by my total ignorance of Blender!)
[Image: 3628_-_perry_panda_and_chester_chimp-pov.png][Image: 3628_-_perry_panda_and_chester_chimp-bdcycles.png]

RE: Blender LDraw import tool - Steffen - 2018-04-03

I agree with you.
Also the front of the motorcycle looks much less smooth in Blender.
And achieving that nice default lighting of course is also possible in POVRay
if you tinker a little with radiosity and a surrounding lighting sphere.
For now I think I will stick with the combination LDView + POVRay, too.
But having the Blender importer available is a very, very nice thing to have for the Blender fans.

RE: Blender LDraw import tool - Ben Supnik - 2018-04-08

(2018-03-31, 13:59)Steffen Wrote: I also tried this now Smile
I downloaded Blender 2.79b, installed that plugin and directly imported and rendered one of my 12V train test scenes,
without adjusting any settings manually:
That looks great!  How many parts are in the scene? I've used the importer on some vehicles for this April Fools Day gag, but when I tried to import a serious model (e.g. 10k parts) the importer just hung for a few minutes and I gave up.
The only problem I had with the import of the small model is one of LDraw and my target engine: LDraw models end up with a huge number of triangles because there is so much detail in each part. I've been thinking about how to write some kind of "thinning" tool, e.g. to remove the tubes from a stack of 2x4s and other totally occluded geometry.

RE: Blender LDraw import tool - Merlijn Wissink - 2018-04-08

The biggest model I have rendered so far with this tool had about 5000 parts and the import took about 5 minutes (I think, I haven't measured it). I think the more parts the longer it takes, as it has to convert each and every part in your model to Blender. Of those 5000 parts, most are on the inside and if I'd remove those the render would look exactly the same but the import would probably be faster.

RE: Blender LDraw import tool - Steffen - 2018-04-12

Quote:I've been thinking about how to write some kind of "thinning" tool, e.g. to remove the tubes from a stack of 2x4s and other totally occluded geometry.
An approach like that was done at LDrawBoxer:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ldrawboxer/