LDraw.org Discussion Forums
[LDPartEditor] 0.8.37 Beta Released (Critical Bug Fix) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Author Tools (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.37 Beta Released (Critical Bug Fix) (/thread-22288.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[LDPartEditor] 0.8.37 Beta Released (Critical Bug Fix) - Nils Schmidt - 2017-08-30

Hi,

here is a release which wipes out some critical bugs.

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
As always, you can download LDPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:
(7 bug fixes)

The following critical issues were fixed:

1. Edger2 created duplicated TYPE 2 lines which were hard to spot.
  2. The primitive text search field was sometimes failing / sometimes primitives were not shown at all.
  3. Edger2 only created condlines if the adjacent surfaces vertices matched perfectly.
  4. Undo/Redo did not work with the CSG_EXTRUDE meta command.
  5. CSG inlining did not use all CPU cores.
  6. The new numeric input fields were blocking the common thread pool (no crash, only performance degradation).
  7. There was an endless loop regarding the new numeric input fields (no crash, only performance degradation).

What will the next release 0.8.38 deliver? A new CSG engine with great triangulation features...

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, it is still a beta version and something can go wrong in about 100.000 lines of code.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1. Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LDPE.
  4. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LDPE.
Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, this version was tested, there are already known issues for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".
I listen carefully to your requests and possible complaints. Please leave me a message, with your thoughts and wishes to further improve the software.

LDPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LDPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • 64-bit Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (64-bit): Windows [7 or newer], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4], Mac OS X [>=10.6]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Video-Memory: 1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB
Recommended Requirements:
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7,8,10, Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4], Mac OS X [>=10.6]
  • OpenGL 3.3 compatible Graphics Card
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB
  • For a faster start, LDPartEditor and the LDraw™ library should be installed on an SSD.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

New CSG Engine - Nils Schmidt - 2017-09-18

I am working on a new CSG engine which will generate less triangles and a better overall triangulation.
There are already some promising results, but I need to define more testcases to deliver a rock-solid implementation in the end.

RE: New CSG Engine - Philippe Hurbain - 2017-09-19

(2017-09-18, 18:44)Nils Schmidt Wrote: I am working on a new CSG engine which will generate less triangles and a better overall triangulation.
There are already some promising results, but I need to define more testcases to deliver a rock-solid implementation in the end.
An incentive to finally learn CSG in LDPE Wink
...and thanks for the headup, I somehow missed that release announcement (and did sometimes noticed a slowdown - nice to know it's fixed now!)

RE: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.37 Beta Released (Critical Bug Fix) - Willy Tschager - 2017-09-20

Bug of the day:

* No notification pop-up when update is completed
* Prog does not store my full screen window status but reopens the window a bit smaller
* Prog does not store the status of the "Move adjacent data" button. Launches always with unpressed status
* Adding a blank while in "Triple manipulation" in the text editor causes havoc. I would expect that the rectangle around the triples are a safe harbour as long as I don't select something else independently what I'm inserting.

w.

RE: New CSG Engine - Gerald Lasser - 2017-09-20

(2017-09-18, 18:44)Nils Schmidt Wrote: I am working on a new CSG engine which will generate less triangles and a better overall triangulation.

You could use the code for the Jurassic World Sphere to test:
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-16357.html?highlight=CSG

I managed to do it with different steps and with Intersector to reduce the number of triangles. I promis I finish the part soon, right now comparing it to the LDD version

RE: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.37 Beta Released (Critical Bug Fix) - Magnus Forsberg - 2017-09-26

Bug report
  • An edge, or cond-line is selectable through a surface, even if it is hidden behind that surface, if a vertex of that line is visible and that line is part of a primitive.
  • Sometimes long edges are hard to select until both vertices are visible
[attachment=2907]

This picture show an example of two selectable edges, included in prims, but the edge at the red arrow is not selectable.

RE: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.37 Beta Released (Critical Bug Fix) - Philippe Hurbain - 2017-10-31

Probably the thing I miss the most in LDPE (already asked for that Wink ): a slanting tool...

RE: New CSG Engine - Nils Schmidt - 2017-11-04

(2017-09-20, 22:31)Gerald Lasser Wrote:

You could use the code for the Jurassic World Sphere to test:
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-16357.html?highlight=CSG

I managed to do it with different steps and with Intersector to reduce the number of triangles. I promis I finish the part soon, right now comparing it to the LDD version

Thanks Gerald! I will use the sphere to test it. I already knew something about your work (J.C. Tchang mentioned it in his LDPE manual).

My plan is to release the new CSG engine in December. I started to optimise the CSG triangulation in September, but then I had improve the overall stability of the algorithm and discard the  triangulation optimisations. Now, I am working on triangle optimisations again.

Bug report: MeshReducer does a wrong check for common vertices - Nils Schmidt - 2017-11-12

Today, I fixed an issue (#608) which is related to the MeshReducer tool.  At the moment there is a chance that MeshReducer could generate holes (There was a wrong check for common adjacent vertices).

The bugfix will be included in the next 0.8.38 release.

Bug report: TJunctionFinder does not fix t-junctions anymore. - Nils Schmidt - 2017-11-12

Today, I fixed another issue (#608) which is related to the TJunctionFinder tool.  At the moment the tool will not fix t-junctions anymore ("Find Only" still works).

The bugfix will be included in the next 0.8.38 release.