LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Missing Ldraw Colors - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: General LDraw.org Discussion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Missing Ldraw Colors (/thread-21749.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Missing Ldraw Colors - Willy Tschager - 2016-09-06

(2016-09-05, 22:19)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: We call that colour Pearl Light Grey, LDraw Code 135
I don't know why it is matched to lego id 179 in ldconfig.ldr. Maybe Willy knows?

You picked an interesting example, Sven. My personal opinion is that the connection in ldconfig.ldr between lego id 179 and ldraw code 135 is not correct.

Every time the LDraw and LEGO color number does not match it's a clear indicator that we already had a LDraw legacy color and based on the RGB and other information picked a LEGO color. Sometimes sources where not clear and it was all about a guessing game. What we also had in mind was an AFOL approach rather than a LEGO one. This means that if there was a BL name available we would favour the BL name. Therefore "Maersk Blue" over "Pastel Blue". Keep also in mind that we are working with "shadow colors". The RGBs LEGO provides are the ones used on there systems to represent a brick color and does NOT match 100% the real ABS color.

Back to "296 Cool Silver". Apparently BL also uses "Pearl Light Grey" and what about 179 and 135. Proposals -  and please use a very practical approach?

w.

RE: Missing Ldraw Colors - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-09-06

Maybe this table could be of use for your investigation. To me it seems like it is the most complete and especially the most organized out of all the color tables.  Smile

RE: Missing Ldraw Colors - Sven v. Beuningen - 2016-09-14

(2016-09-06, 9:03)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2016-09-05, 19:48)Sven v. Beuningen Wrote: I can provide these kind of information for the other colors aswell, if you like to proceed like this.

This is what I'm looking for, with the chance of other people chipping in. Keep them coming but please wait 'til we have sorted out the color in question.

w.

Sorry, I didn't receive any mails from the forum for your replies. Therefore I thought there weren't any. I'll provide the information in the next days.

So Long

Sven

(2016-09-06, 9:31)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2016-09-05, 22:19)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: We call that colour Pearl Light Grey, LDraw Code 135
I don't know why it is matched to lego id 179 in ldconfig.ldr. Maybe Willy knows?

You picked an interesting example, Sven. My personal opinion is that the connection in ldconfig.ldr between lego id 179 and ldraw code 135 is not correct.

Every time the LDraw and LEGO color number does not match it's a clear indicator that we already had a LDraw legacy color and based on the RGB and other information picked a LEGO color. Sometimes sources where not clear and it was all about a guessing game. What we also had in mind was an AFOL approach rather than a LEGO one. This means that if there was a BL name available we would favour the BL name. Therefore "Maersk Blue" over "Pastel Blue". Keep also in mind that we are working with "shadow colors". The RGBs LEGO provides are the ones used on there systems to represent a brick color and does NOT match 100% the real ABS color.

Back to "296 Cool Silver". Apparently BL also uses "Pearl Light Grey" and what about 179 and 135. Proposals -  and please use a very practical approach?

w.

Hi Willy,

what about keeping the mapping for LEGO color 179 to Ldraw 135 for backwards compatibility reasons. In addition we could introduce a new color for 296 Cool silver? If we do it this way we can clearly distinguish the colors. At least from their IDs. If the optical difference is near zero, we could map LEGO color 296 also to Ldraw 135. But we need the information from someone who owns parts in both colors. 
Therefore I suggest:

LEGO color 179 (Silver Flip Flop) -> Ldraw 135 (Pearl Light Grey)

LEGO color 296 (Cool Silver) -> new ID, new RGB and new Ldraw name 
or
LEGO color 296 (Cool Silver) -> Ldraw 135 (Pearl Light Grey)

What do you think?

So Long

Sven

RE: Missing Ldraw Colors - Max Martin Richter - 2016-09-14

Sorry for popping into this discussion, but a colour for Rubber Green also missing.

/Max

(2016-09-14, 18:45)Max Martin Richter Wrote: Sorry for popping into this discussion, but a colour for Rubber Green also missing.

/Max

Hi Max,

do you have a clue or something about lego id or name? Maybe a part where it is used would help to identify the LEGO color. If we could identify it, I'll add it to the list.

So Long

Sven

RE: Missing Ldraw Colors - Magnus Forsberg - 2016-09-14

Sven,

Have you read this article?   The curious case of LEGO colours

Finding the "correct" colour isn't allways that easy, and maybe it sometimes isn't that important to have the correct shade of grey...
But I agree. We seem to be missing some important, common colours.

RE: Missing Ldraw Colors - Willy Tschager - 2016-09-15

(2016-09-14, 18:45)Max Martin Richter Wrote: Sorry for popping into this discussion, but a colour for Rubber Green also missing.

/Max

Please let us tackle one color at the time.

w.

RE: Missing Ldraw Colors - Willy Tschager - 2016-09-15

(2016-09-14, 18:15)Sven v. Beuningen Wrote: LEGO color 179 (Silver Flip Flop) -> Ldraw 135 (Pearl Light Grey)

LEGO color 296 (Cool Silver) -> new ID, new RGB and new Ldraw name 
or
LEGO color 296 (Cool Silver) -> Ldraw 135 (Pearl Light Grey)

I'm more inclined to replace 135 with LEGO color 296 (Cool Silver) but since it has been replace by LEGO color ID 131 Silver and LEGO color ID 315 Silver metallic
we should pack 135 with 296+131+315.

w.

RE: Missing Ldraw Colors - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-09-15

(2016-09-14, 19:58)Sven v. Beuningen Wrote:

/Max

Hi Max,

do you have a clue or something about lego id or name? Maybe a part where it is used would help to identify the LEGO color. If we could identify it, I'll add it to the list.

So Long

Sven

I don't know too much about LDraw colors, but I think rubber green is the same story as rubber black. On inventory sites such as Rebrickable and Bricklink, rubber parts in black (often tires) just get assigned the color 'Black', because it is black. In the LDraw world, there are 2 blacks though: normal black and rubber black. Because, in real life, rubber parts in black look less 'deep black', they look more grayish (because of the material rubber) and more matte. So, when you give rubber parts the color rubber black, they look more 'realistic' in renderings and such. 

I can't find a comparison, but you can easily make one yourself I think  Wink