LDraw.org Discussion Forums
POV-Ray export questions - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: POV-Ray export questions (/thread-21710.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

POV-Ray export questions - Roland Melkert - 2016-08-13

Hi all,

I've been working on a POV-Ray export for LDCad 1.6

I'm not seeking to replace LDView's export I mainly want to do animation exports.

I would be very interested what the more experienced POV-Ray users have to say about the generated file I've got so far.

Attached is a zip with some test output, It renders like so:
[attachment=2432]

I think it's not bad but it could be better, probably by tweaking the global settings / light (currently it exports the OpenGL light position) / sky sphere stuff.

One thing I don't really understand is the small black square at the bottom left, I have no idea where that's coming from.

Any help / pointers / thoughts would be highly appreciated.

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Damien Roux - 2016-08-13

The square looks like the shadow of something.

Does it appear if you remove all the parts ?

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Roland Melkert - 2016-08-14

(2016-08-13, 21:08)Damien Roux Wrote: The square looks like the shadow of something.

Does it appear if you remove all the parts ?

Yes, but it gets bigger the more you re-add it's very strange.

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-08-14

Could it be the shadow of the baseplate if it's very high in the air for some reason?
Just thinking out loud, I don't use POV-Ray very often...

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Travis Cobbs - 2016-08-15

(2016-08-14, 18:18)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Could it be the shadow of the baseplate if it's very high in the air for some reason?
Just thinking out loud, I don't use POV-Ray very often...

I think Merlijn is right. Instead of having a "floor", it looks like you render the model inside a great big hollow sphere. So that's probably the shadow of the model itself on the inside wall of the sphere. LDView uses a plane placed at the model's maximum Y location (in the original LDraw coordinate system, where positive Y is "down", by most people's description).

I think there is a POV material setting that can declare a surface as not receiving shadows. If so, you could turn this setting on for your sphere.

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Roland Melkert - 2016-08-15

(2016-08-15, 6:04)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I think Merlijn is right. Instead of having a "floor", it looks like you render the model inside a great big hollow sphere. So that's probably the shadow of the model itself on the inside wall of the sphere. LDView uses a plane placed at the model's maximum Y location (in the original LDraw coordinate system, where positive Y is "down", by most people's description).

I think there is a POV material setting that can declare a surface as not receiving shadows. If so, you could turn this setting on for your sphere.

Thanks Merlijn/Travis, you are right.

I was using a sphere in the hopes to improve global lighting but that isn't working as I hoped anyway.

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Roland Melkert - 2016-08-15

Made some improvements

It now exports animations and I discovered the proper use of 'emission' Smile

[attachment=2433]
[attachment=2434]

Radiosity does seem to cause some noise though

Attached is the scene (use the ini to render all frames)

I'm still looking for some expert help on setting up generic global lighting (some stuff is still very dark at certain angles)

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-08-16

Maybe this guide is of use to you?

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Roland Melkert - 2016-10-08

Hi all,

I've almost finished the POVRay export feature for LDCad 1.6 but I'm having problems with the default material definitions.

Below is a zipped export of the 5571 model which renders nice using normal lighting, but acts very weird when using radiosity. It's caused by the chrome material but I have no clue on the why.

Anyone has some pointers or alternative chrome material definitions  (or any of the other material kinds rubber/metal/mattemetal/plainplastic/pearl)

normal render:
[attachment=2523]

radiosity:
[attachment=2524]

pov files
http://www.melkert.net/action/download/pov5571.zip

Any help / pointers are welcome

RE: POV-Ray export questions - Michael Horvath - 2016-10-10

(2016-10-08, 23:01)Roland Melkert Wrote: Hi all,

I've almost finished the POVRay export feature for LDCad 1.6 but I'm having problems with the default material definitions.

Below is a zipped export of the 5571 model which renders nice using normal lighting, but acts very weird when using radiosity. It's caused by the chrome material but I have no clue on the why.

Anyone has some pointers or alternative chrome material definitions  (or any of the other material kinds rubber/metal/mattemetal/plainplastic/pearl)

normal render:

radiosity:

pov files
http://www.melkert.net/action/download/pov5571.zip

Any help / pointers are welcome

Is "max_trace_level" set too low maybe? Radiosity is very finicky. You may have better luck posting to the POV-Ray newsgroup.