LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3 (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3 (win+linux) (/thread-21643.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2016-07-03

Hi all,

I've released LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3.

Quite a few bugfixes and general tweak/changes in this one.

But it also introduces some (hopefully handy) new features, like:

- Selection MPD embedding.
- Selection MPD detachment.
- Full LDraw org header editing (Including full history and help).
- LPub, LSynth, MLCad meta are recognized and highlighted / editable in the source window.

It also vastly improves the new region selection feature, it is actually usable now Smile

And I finally got to include a 64 bit Windows version as the mingw-64 now includes a suitable threading model for use with my static linkage setup.

I'm not sure if and how I will include the 64 bit version in the installer though, any thoughts on that are welcome.

This is still an Alpha version so it might be (very) unstable use it separate from your normal LDCad installation and make backups of the files you want to edit.

Download it here:
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/nextVer

I again only made the 64 bit Linux version as the 32 bit VM is currently (way) out of date. Nobody seems to need the 32 bit version anyway but if you really do need it please let me know.

Any feedback / thoughts / suggestions are welcome.

ps: Fun fact I've passed the 1000 commits mark in svn Smile

RE: LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3 (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-07-04

Great news! Started to play with it a bit...
- My Avast antivirus complained that these files (both 32 and 64b) are very unusual (as far as I guess, means that local AV software can't analyse them) and that they were sent to Avast labs for further analysis... (Edit: a few hours later, got a notification that the file was sound Wink )
- What is the potential benefit of 64 bit version? faster? even bigger LDraw files editable?
Quote:It also vastly improves the new region selection feature, it is actually usable now [Image: smile.png]
Indeed! one little caveat though, looks like selecting an axle by the middle is impossible, I guess because there is no vertex there? (Edit: after applying to real model building, area select proves very useful!)

- Looks like the flex parts are broken... "Content" meta is missing so nothing gets displayed.
- "Select same step" issue is corrected... but not if the step is the last in the model. In this case first step parts are selected instead.
- Trying to add a flex part to a submodel while in nested mode hangs LDCad

RE: LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3 (win+linux) - David Manley - 2016-07-04

(2016-07-03, 21:09)Roland Melkert Wrote: Hi all,

I've released LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3.

<snip>

Any feedback / thoughts / suggestions are welcome.

Hi Roland,

a suggestion for your consideration.

When parts are selected in a "source" window, they can be dragged within the window to move their position in the instruction steps e.g. move them from one step to another. If would be useful when dragging them to the top/bottom of the source window if the window content were to scroll while the mouse was positioned near the top/bottom. This would allow the parts to be more easily moved to a building step not currently visible in the "source" window.

Regards,

David

Quote:If would be useful when dragging them to the top/bottom of the source window if the window content were to scroll while the mouse was positioned near the top/bottom. This would allow the parts to be more easily moved to a building step not currently visible in the "source" window.
Already asked for that, but Roland wisely answered that auto-scroll rarely works at usable speed (either too fast or too slow...). Instead, even with selection attached to cursor, you may scroll source window using keyboard (up/dn, pgup/dn, home/end) or mousewheel.

Not really related to 1.6...
Part 92909 is missing connectivity for 32494:
Code:
0 //NOTE current version has no solution for the nodged sphere socket (see 32494.dat), just define a fixed ori sphere for now
0 !LDCAD SNAP_GEN [group=nudge1] [gender=F] [bounding=sph 6] [pos=0 0 30]

RE: LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2016-07-04

(2016-07-04, 7:21)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Great news! Started to play with it a bit...
- My Avast antivirus complained that these files (both 32 and 64b) are very unusual (as far as I guess, means that local AV software can't analyse them) and that they were sent to Avast labs for further analysis... (Edit: a few hours later, got a notification that the file was sound Wink )
That's the first time that has happened as far I know. It's hard to say what the problem is given such a vague description though. Maybe they just don't like the filesize or something.

(2016-07-04, 7:21)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: - What is the potential benefit of 64 bit version? faster? even bigger LDraw files editable?
The 64bit version is about 5% faster rendering wise on my setup. The exe is slightly smaller but it uses more memory. The main selling point of 64 bit versions is the option to use the full system memory pool but LDCad isn't that hungry to begin with (I haven't seen it using more then 500MB unless you are loading really large models). So in the end it's just the 5% boost I guess Smile

(2016-07-04, 7:21)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Indeed! one little caveat though, looks like selecting an axle by the middle is impossible, I guess because there is no vertex there? (Edit: after applying to real model building, area select proves very useful!)
Yes after some larger chunk tests, it tests every vertex of the part until at least one is inside the region's frustum. That method gives the least (zero) false positives.

(2016-07-04, 8:31)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: - Looks like the flex parts are broken... "Content" meta is missing so nothing gets displayed.
- "Select same step" issue is corrected... but not if the step is the last in the model. In this case first step parts are selected instead.
- Trying to add a flex part to a submodel while in nested mode hangs LDCad

Can't believe I missed this, I'll do a Alpha 3a for this asap. Thanks for reporting.

(2016-07-04, 9:42)David Manley Wrote: Hi Roland,

a suggestion for your consideration.

When parts are selected in a "source" window, they can be dragged within the window to move their position in the instruction steps e.g. move them from one step to another. If would be useful when dragging them to the top/bottom of the source window if the window content were to scroll while the mouse was positioned near the top/bottom. This would allow the parts to be more easily moved to a building step not currently visible in the "source" window.

Regards,

David
Like Philo wrote waiting forever on a scrolling window is something I hate myself so I left that out. Instead you could (temporary) open a second source window and drag and drop in between them. Just be sure to disable 'follow selection' and 'follow step' in one of them.

Also the mouse wheel scroll does work while dragging lines (hold ctrl down to scroll faster).

(2016-07-04, 13:46)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Not really related to 1.6...
Part 92909 is missing connectivity for 32494:
Code:
0 //NOTE current version has no solution for the nodged sphere socket (see 32494.dat), just define a fixed ori sphere for now
0 !LDCAD SNAP_GEN [group=nudge1] [gender=F] [bounding=sph 6] [pos=0 0 30]

Thanks, this actually needs a new kind of shape/meta variant so the orientation can be forced at 180 deg.