LDraw.org Discussion Forums
parts authors - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Administrative (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: parts authors (/thread-2157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

parts authors - Steffen - 2011-12-08

I just noticed that in the forums some roles are displayed for some users, for example:

Orion Pobursky
Website Administrator
LDraw.org Steering Committee Member
James Jessiman Memorial Award Recipient

That's nice, as it gives the readers and posters more context information of the poster.

However, I am missing that all part authors do not get such an attribute:
There should be an attribute "Part Author".

While adding this, I'd like to request a little cleanup. The attributes are not coherent currently:
some have a leading "LDraw.org", some don't. So for example one attribute reads
"Website Administrator", and not "Ldraw.org Website Administrator",
and the other reads
"LDraw.org Steering Committee Member" and not "Steering Committee Member".

As everything which happens on this site automatically and impliticly is ldraw.org stuff,
it is not necessary to precede each Attribute with "Ldraw.org ...".

So I suggest removing that prefix from all attributes.

Re: parts authors - Tim Gould - 2011-12-08

How about 'Uber parts author' Wink

That way those of us who dabble aren't put in the same section is those who seem to make most of the library (like you!)

Tim

oh... - Steffen - 2011-12-08

I'm sorry if the previous post created the impression that I'd want to have just my "reputation" raised.
I thought about all authors alltogether.
Everybody whose name appears in the official parts should carry that Attribute here in the forum IMHO,
just like the LSC members etc. do.
Actually, to be honest, I felt a little "under-reputated", seeing the pile of titles of Orion (Orion, no pun intended!)

Re: oh... - Tim Gould - 2011-12-08

I didn't take it that way.

I more meant that those who do HEAPS of part authoring should get a title but those (like me) who don't do that much probably shouldn't.

ie. only people like you, Philo, Mike, Magnus etc. should get a title. (and anyone else you would suggest)

Tim

Re: oh... - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-08

Lol. Truth told I'd like to add bunch more titles but that'll be a much larger undertaking than the 3 titles I added. The committee members were easy since there are already Forum groups for the committees. The JJMA title was an experiment to see if I could do it and there are 3 JJMA recipients that don't have a forum account...

Re: oh... - Steffen - 2011-12-08

I think that we should treat all part authors equally.
Even the smallest contribution, e.g. of just a single part, is appreciated, and helps us.
And also old contributions need credit, not just the recent PT actions.

Re: oh... - Tim Gould - 2011-12-08

The problem with that is, I suspect, that building such a library of people would be very time consuming and non-automated. Singling out those who make a big contribution is much easier (although not without problems).

Perhaps Orion will correct me though.

Tim

Re: oh... - Chris Dee - 2011-12-08

I'm not sure how you intend to re-implement the existing PostNuke groups PTsubmit (= Parts author) and PTreview (= Parts Reviewer) in the new website CMS, but if those user properties can be surfaced to the Parts Tracker (as they need to be), could they also be surfaced to the forum software?

add some more links to PT recent activity table? - Steffen - 2011-12-08

maybe the names of the parts authors in the table of the recent PT activity
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/tracker/activity.cgi
can be made clickable to point to the ldraw.org "homepage" of a certain user.

currently, sadly, users seem to have 2 such:
- one on ldraw PT
- one in this forum

I think the 2 should be merged, and the PT should link to the merged one

This way, PT contributions and forum contributions can be seen

Re: add some more links to PT recent activity table? - Chris Dee - 2011-12-08

Steffen Wrote:- one on ldraw PT

The Parts Tracker, per se, does not have its own user list. It interfaces to those registered on LDraw.org website (which currently uses the PostNuke CMS). Since that is scheduled for replacement, there seems little value in hyperlinking the occurences of UserIDs in the Parts Tracker pages to some soon-to-become-obsolete user home page.