LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Any good LDraw viewer for Ubuntu 16.04? - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Any good LDraw viewer for Ubuntu 16.04? (/thread-21493.html)

Pages: 1 2

Any good LDraw viewer for Ubuntu 16.04? - Patricia Moya Nosquera - 2016-04-27

LDView doesn't run in new Ubuntu 16.04, is there an alternative viewer or a tick for install LDView?

RE: Any good LDraw viewer for Ubuntu 16.04? - Roland Melkert - 2016-04-27

Although technically not a viewer, I've just tested LDCad 1.5 with Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

All seems fine including the setup script to associate it with mpd/ldr files etc.

I tested this using VMWare and the live iso but that shouldn't matter.

Alternative might be to manually compile LDView.

RE: Any good LDraw viewer for Ubuntu 16.04? - Milan Vančura - 2016-04-27

(2016-04-27, 17:29)Patricia Moya Nosquera Wrote: LDView doesn't run in new Ubuntu 16.04, is there an alternative viewer or a tick for install LDView?

We maintain sources of Linux-friendly versions of many LDraw SW here: https://github.com/ldraw-linux
You can get ldglite there, for example. Or you may combine that with LPub.
Sorry we do not have binary packages for all distros yet. Work in progress, you know.

As a completely different option, you may try brigl. Demo is here. But you can install it locally as well.

RE: Any good LDraw viewer for Ubuntu 16.04? - Peter Bartfai - 2016-07-12

(2016-04-27, 17:29)Patricia Moya Nosquera Wrote: LDView doesn't run in new Ubuntu 16.04, is there an alternative viewer or a tick for install LDView?

New version 4.2 provides Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/Centos/openSUSE packages.

ldview-4.2-ubuntu-16.04.amd64.deb
[size=medium]ldview-4.2-ubuntu-16.04.i386.deb[/size]

You can also check on Opensuse Build Services:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:pbartfai/LDView

LDView for Ubuntu 16.04? - Trevor Sandy - 2016-12-17

(2016-07-12, 6:40)Peter Bartfai Wrote:

New version 4.2 provides Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/Centos/openSUSE packages.

ldview-4.2-ubuntu-16.04.amd64.deb
[size=medium]ldview-4.2-ubuntu-16.04.i386.deb[/size]

You can also check on Opensuse Build Services:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:pbartfai/LDView

Help, I can't seem to get LDView to work on Ubuntu 16.04 either. 

I'm working on my x11 LPub3D port and I'm able to render with Peter's ldglite1.3.1 package and 'povray3.7-stable' from github (using L3P1.4LinuxBeta). 

However, LDview 4.2, referenced above, is not successfully receiving my passed command line parameters - it's throwing a bunch of GL errors in the console (I'll post an update shortly).  

Peter's LDView 4.3 package is doing a bit better, but still throwing some console messages about the passed parameters, and rendering only the colour of the part in big squares. I'll prepare a short video of the behaviour shortly.

If I open a model file from the GUI, all seems to work well with both 4.2 and 4.3. The problem seems to be with accepting command line parameters.

Cheers,

RE: LDView for Ubuntu 16.04? - Travis Cobbs - 2016-12-17

For command line use, the OSMesa-based command line-only "ldview" (not "LDView") will probably work better. I'm not sure if the Qt LDView supports -SaveSnapshots, which LPub3D started supporting a few months ago. (I think -SaveSnapshots support has been added to the development code, but was missing in the 4.2 release.) I think you can disable usage of -SaveSnapshots in LPub3D.

RE: LDView for Ubuntu 16.04? - Trevor Sandy - 2016-12-18

(2016-12-17, 22:10)Travis Cobbs Wrote: For command line use, the OSMesa-based command line-only "ldview" (not "LDView")...

Very well, I am able progress with this information. However without passing the ldraw path (LDrawDir=) via the command line, I get the message "Critical Error: Could not find LDraw directory." Do I have to pass the ldraw library path (like with ldglite) on the command line for the OSMesa-based executable ? LDrawDir is set in /home/trevor/.conf/LDView/LDView.conf which seems to only be read by "LDView". I could not find a separate .conf for "ldview".

I created /home/trevor/.conf/LDView/ldviewrc after receiving the message "Error setting INI File to /home/trevor/.ldviewrc or /home/trevor/.conf/LDView/ldviewrc" but while this action removed the message, it is still necessary to pass the LDrawDir via command line.

(2016-12-17, 22:10)Travis Cobbs Wrote: (I think -SaveSnapshots support has been added to the development code, but was missing in the 4.2 release.) I think you can disable usage of -SaveSnapshots in LPub3D.

I'm using Peter's LDView 4.3 package which support -SaveSnapshots so this is not an issue for me. But I must say it would have been quite a pity to not have this capability on x11 because it represents such a big performance improvement when rendering with LDView, not to mention the significant work to rewrite LPub3D to accommodate this parameter.

Cheers,

RE: LDView for Ubuntu 16.04? - Trevor Sandy - 2016-12-18

(2016-12-17, 22:10)Travis Cobbs Wrote: For command line use, the OSMesa-based command line-only "ldview" (not "LDView")...

Is this behaviour the same for OSX ?

Cheers,

RE: LDView for Ubuntu 16.04? - Travis Cobbs - 2016-12-18

(2016-12-18, 13:22)Trevor Sandy Wrote:

Is this behaviour the same for OSX ?

Cheers,

No, the Mac LDView app should work fine from the command line. I'm not even sure if I've ever compiled the OSMesa ldview on a Mac. Of course, to use it on the command line, you have to access the executable inside the app wrapper (for example, /Applications/LDView.app/Contents/MacOS/LDView).

RE: LDView for Ubuntu 16.04? - Travis Cobbs - 2016-12-18

You can create a ~/.ldviewrc file that contains settings for things like the LDraw dir. I think if you copy the Qt LDView config file and rename it to ~/.ldviewrc, it will work, although I'm not 100% sure about that. I can't remember off-hand where Qt stores application config files.