LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Where can I download LDraw? - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Help (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Where can I download LDraw? (/thread-21481.html)

Where can I download LDraw? - Marco Driesen - 2016-04-18

Hey Guys,

I am German and not very good in English so it might be that I am just too silly to find the link to the download of LDraw...
It would be nice if someone could post a link to the MLCAD needed LDraw base package Smile

Thanks very much!

Marco

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - Damien Roux - 2016-04-18

Search for the ldraw All in One Installer. You'll get everything.

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - bob mcpherson - 2017-01-20

(2016-04-18, 13:17)Damien Roux Wrote: Search for the ldraw All in One Installer. You'll get everything.

I am new to the LDraw community and am having issues downloading the complete pack for Mac OS.

every time I click on the link to get LDraw it takes me to the latest parts page.  The complete pack is for windows.  It has a .exe file which is not compatible with Mac. 

Please help.

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - Orion Pobursky - 2017-01-20

(2017-01-20, 4:05)bob mcpherson Wrote:
(2016-04-18, 13:17)Damien Roux Wrote: Search for the ldraw All in One Installer. You'll get everything.

I am new to the LDraw community and am having issues downloading the complete pack for Mac OS.

every time I click on the link to get LDraw it takes me to the latest parts page.  The complete pack is for windows.  It has a .exe file which is not compatible with Mac. 

Please help.

I assume you are following the Mac instructions here:
http://www.ldraw.org/help/getting-started/mac.html

Per the instructions, you'll want the "complete.zip" file.

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - bob mcpherson - 2017-01-20

(2017-01-20, 4:51)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 4:05)bob mcpherson Wrote: I am new to the LDraw community and am having issues downloading the complete pack for Mac OS.

Please help.

I assume you are following the Mac instructions here:

Indeed I did. Normally there would be a .dmg file for Mac, but there is a .exe, which is a windows executable file.

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - Orion Pobursky - 2017-01-20

(2017-01-20, 5:09)bob mcpherson Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 4:51)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I assume you are following the Mac instructions here:

Indeed I did. Normally there would be a .dmg file for Mac, but there is a .exe, which is a windows executable file.

Right, ignore the .exe files.  Actually, I not sure why we still offer those since unzip capability has been built into windows for a while.

Anyway, maybe the instructions for Step 1 aren't clear but you want to download the "complete.zip".  That's the bottom link on the table.  Once you've downloaded that file, follow the rest of the instructions in Step 1. The library isn't a .dmg because it's not a program, it's a collection of files and .zip is cross platform.

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - bob mcpherson - 2017-01-21

(2017-01-20, 17:04)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 5:09)bob mcpherson Wrote: Indeed I did. Normally there would be a .dmg file for Mac, but there is a .exe, which is a windows executable file.

Right, ignore the .exe files.  Actually, I not sure why we still offer those since unzip capability has been built into windows for a while.

Anyway, maybe the instructions for Step 1 aren't clear but you want to download the "complete.zip".  That's the bottom link on the table.  Once you've downloaded that file, follow the rest of the instructions in Step 1. The library isn't a .dmg because it's not a program, it's a collection of files and .zip is cross platform.

Thank you for explaining that a little better...Sorry. I usually can figure these things out..call it a Brain-Fart.

Thanks again.

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - Orion Pobursky - 2017-01-21

(2017-01-21, 4:36)bob mcpherson Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 17:04)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Right, ignore the .exe files.  Actually, I not sure why we still offer those since unzip capability has been built into windows for a while.

Thank you for explaining that a little better...Sorry. I usually can figure these things out..call it a Brain-Fart.

Thanks again.

No problem.  Happy LDrawing.

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - Simon Williams - 2017-05-19

(2017-01-21, 5:24)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2017-01-21, 4:36)bob mcpherson Wrote: Thank you for explaining that a little better...Sorry. I usually can figure these things out..call it a Brain-Fart.

Thanks again.

No problem.  Happy LDrawing.

I must admit, I was totally confused by this too. Step 1 asks us to download and install the original Ldraw package, adding that "This step cannot be skipped". I did this, only to find myself wondering why there was a .exe file and no .dmg file.  Clicking on Step 2, then, offers the option of downloading either the complete package or just the software. Surely, it seems to me, it would make more sense to have this as step 1?  As a complete neophyte, it wasn't obvious at all to me that the LDraw package didn't contain any actual software.

Regards

Simon Williams

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - Simon Williams - 2017-05-19

(2017-05-19, 2:22)Simon Williams Wrote:
(2017-01-21, 5:24)Orion Pobursky Wrote: No problem.  Happy LDrawing.

I must admit, I was totally confused by this too. Step 1 asks us to download and install the original Ldraw package, adding that "This step cannot be skipped". I did this, only to find myself wondering why there was a .exe file and no .dmg file.  Clicking on Step 2, then, offers the option of downloading either the complete package or just the software. Surely, it seems to me, it would make more sense to have this as step 1?  As a complete neophyte, it wasn't obvious at all to me that the LDraw package didn't contain any actual software.

Regards

Simon Williams

Hmmm... nope. Still confused, I'm afraid. The video I'm watching speaks of an "LDraw Installation Package" and seems to refer to an actual programme, rather than just a collection of files. Sorry if I'm being a little slow, but what am I missing here?

Cheers
Simon

RE: Where can I download LDraw? - Orion Pobursky - 2017-05-19

(2017-05-19, 2:34)Simon Williams Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 2:22)Simon Williams Wrote: I must admit, I was totally confused by this too. Step 1 asks us to download and install the original Ldraw package, adding that "This step cannot be skipped". I did this, only to find myself wondering why there was a .exe file and no .dmg file.  Clicking on Step 2, then, offers the option of downloading either the complete package or just the software. Surely, it seems to me, it would make more sense to have this as step 1?  As a complete neophyte, it wasn't obvious at all to me that the LDraw package didn't contain any actual software.

Regards

Simon Williams

Hmmm... nope. Still confused, I'm afraid. The video I'm watching speaks of an "LDraw Installation Package" and seems to refer to an actual programme, rather than just a collection of files. Sorry if I'm being a little slow, but what am I missing here?

Cheers
Simon
Well that's 2 people confused so I'll rewrite the instructions. Basically you want to down load complete.zip and unzip it into your home folder. Then download Bricksmith without the library (since the library that comes with it isn't up to date). Copy Bricksmith to your Applications folder and from there, when Bricksmith asks where the LDraw library is point it to the unzipped LDraw folder in your Home folder.