LDraw.org Discussion Forums
View unread posts, by account - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Administrative (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: View unread posts, by account (/thread-21447.html)

View unread posts, by account - Milan Vančura - 2016-04-01

Related to what Philippe reported but I do not want to "hijack" his topic so I add the new one.

I want the function usual all other forums I know: posts not read yet by me. Plus option "mark as read", of course. Of course I mean links to post and not threads, as Philippe already wrote.
EDIT: better said: a link to the first unread post in each thread.

So I can easily see what's new for me. Then open those I want to read, mark the rest as read and "have a clean table" for  the next time.

Is this possible?

RE: View unread posts, by account - Milan Vančura - 2016-04-01

I've found this myBB module looks kind of "standard" for this feature. It's also on github.
Please, can you look at it?

RE: View unread posts, by account - Orion Pobursky - 2016-04-02

Something smells about this one.  He's added a tracking pixel to paypal in the code.  Since it's GPL'd, I can modify it as long as I make the source code available. I'll dig into the code some more to see if I can easily remove the tracking stuff.

This plugin is now live. I excised the advertisement code.  Source available upon request.

RE: View unread posts, by account - Milan Vančura - 2016-04-02

(2016-04-02, 6:53)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This plugin is now live. I excised the advertisement code.  Source available upon request.

Thank you, Orion. It's almost what I requested. The only missing bit is a link to the "first unread message of each thread". Imagine a linear display of the thread. Then, the link would point to the first "new" comment and the user can just start reading there comfortably. I understand this feature is not so much useful for people using threaded mode of display. So, please add such link if it is easy enough for you to add it to the code.

Either with or without that link, thank you very much for this mod. This is what I missed at old ldraw forum a lot.

I'm If you click the little green arrow or the last post link it should take you the first unread post. This may get a little screwed up since the hybrid threading plugin messes with the post order a bit.

RE: View unread posts, by account - Milan Vančura - 2016-04-03

(2016-04-02, 20:36)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm If you click the little green arrow or the last post link it should take you the first unread post. This may get a little screwed up since the hybrid threading plugin messes with the post order a bit.

Great! It really works and makes reading ldraw forum much easier and more comfortable. Thanks a lot!
I hope more users find this new feature among all those links in the page header. I understand it's new for everybody here but once understood, nobody wants to go back to "today posts" lists etc. At least nobody I know (on another forums) Wink
I've already bookmarked this as my entry point to the ldraw forum.

RE: View unread posts, by account - Travis Cobbs - 2016-04-07

This works great, but I do have a request. Since the threaded view reorders posts, it would be very useful if the new "View Unread Posts" page would indicate the number of unread posts in each thread. That way, if I'm navigating into a thread with only one post, I don't have to scan the rest of the thread for the red unread tag, and for threads with more than one, I'll know how many to look for.

RE: View unread posts, by account - Orion Pobursky - 2016-04-10

I didn't write the plugin but I'll have a look and see what I can figure out.

RE: View unread posts, by account - Milan Vančura - 2016-04-11

As those red links "Unread post" have their own CSS class, it is possible to use CSS counters and let the browser to show the number of new posts. Then, it would be just a matter of the page template editing and no code on the server side would be needed.

Basics of the idea: add counter_reset(newposts) to <body>, counter_increment(newposts) to .post_unread_marker and add a new <div> near a page footer showing the total number using counter(newposts) - and position that <div> as needed. For example fixed to the screen so it is still visible.

Just an idea.