LDraw.org Discussion Forums
How to save comprehensive parts list for multiple models? - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Help (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: How to save comprehensive parts list for multiple models? (/thread-2120.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: BrickStore - Derek - 2011-12-11

actually, this does help. I can't seem to reconcile the missing parts, the brickstore inventory goes from Slope 30 to Slope33, and Slope 31 is rather important to me.

How did you make those submodels work like that? When I import submodeels, they're one uneditable model without a parts list. I could just import them all with no steps and have MLCAD generate me a part list and buy them manually.

As far as the size, it's a combination of Dan Efran's OGRE Lego models, I have to give him credit: http://www.efran.org/embassy/lego-gev.html
I just recolored them and added ones from another one of his .ldr files (on a linked page)

Re: BrickStore - Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2011-12-11

Derek Wrote:How did you make those submodels work like that? When I import submodeels, they're one uneditable model without a parts list. I could just import them all with no steps and have MLCAD generate me a part list and buy them manually.

Work like what? I'm afraid I don't actually know what you mean here. All I did was essentially combine all your submodels into one model (which would be a very terrible thing to do for anything other than a parts list).

Re: BrickStore - Derek - 2011-12-14

Yes! I realize that, but for the sake of a parts list, how do I combine submodels into one model? When I do it, the submodels are one unit, not a series of pieces.

Re: BrickStore - Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2011-12-15

If I understand your question ("how do I transform the file I (Derek) posted into the file you (Jean-Philippe) posted?") then it is a simple matter of opening the file in a text editor and removing every line that does not begin with the number 1.

I actually did it using the following command:
Code:
grep ^1 derek.mpd > derek-new.ldr
where derek.mpd is a file in your working directory, and derek-new.mpd is the resulting file will all submodels combined.

Note that this ONLY works for models where each submodel is included exactly once. It is also bad because it removes the headers (file name, author name, etc.). This is by no means a proper approach, but it works in this specific case.

Re: BrickStore - Derek - 2011-12-16

oh, so I can't combine multiple submodels this way. I guess I'll get cracking on drudging through the text documents and manually editing them.

Idea! - Derek - 2011-12-16

If I made a copy of the file, then I copied each submodel as many times as I needed it, but did so by highlighting pieces and copying and pasting them inside the submodel (example, LGEV's submodel now contains 8 copies of all the requisite parts, the HVY model contains 6, etc), and did this for all of the submodels I've got, would that work?

Re: Idea! - Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2011-12-16

Yes it would.

Also, you don't need to paste the parts in the same model, you could just create a duplicate model if you wish... as long as each part appears the correct number of times in the file, it doesn't matter which submodel it is in, because submodels are all joined anyway, but please understand that this is not a proper solution at all. It just works in this case. You shouldn't rely on it to work for all models.

Re: Idea! - Derek - 2011-12-17

I understand that this is neither proper or ideal, but at least I can get it to him some time around christmas.

Re: Idea! - Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2011-12-17

Good luck, I hope it works out.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Re: How to save comprehensive parts list for multiple models? -- And for future reference... - Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2011-12-28

For future reference...

Bricksmith can generate a parts list:
selecting
[Image: zNUtv.png]
provides
[Image: e5TbJ.png]
and clicking "Export Parts List..." yields a file containing:
Code:
Quantity    Part    Description    Color
1    3001.dat    Brick  2 x  4    Blue
1    3002.dat    Brick  2 x  3    Green
1    3003.dat    Brick  2 x  2    Red

LDView can also generate parts lists:
selecting
[Image: 1bpic.png]
and
[Image: RgQei.png]
generates an HTML file which looks like
[Image: 1aBvy.png]
I'm pretty sure LDView can write the parts list in other formats too, but right now I can't seem to find how. Nope. Read the next post.

and many other tools can do so as well. I'm pretty sure LPub can generate a graphical bill of materials... and if I recall correctly MLCad can also generate a parts list... Point being, there are many tools that you can use, it's just convenient to use BrickStore because it can export XML that you can paste directly into Bricklink to automatically fill your shopping cart with the parts in your model, if that's your end goal.