LDraw.org Discussion Forums
[LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Released - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Author Tools (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Released (/thread-21041.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Released - Nils Schmidt - 2016-03-07

Hi,

with a little overdue of one month*... here is the LDPartEditor 0.8.5 Beta release!
I will now focus on tutorial videos since this version should be stable enough to work with (though its still a beta).

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
You can download LDPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:

With this release you will be able to...
  • ...use up to 9 decimal places for rounding (coordinates + matrix). [requested by Gerald]
  • ...open the part in the 3D editor from the text editor window (orange "3D" button) [requested by at least two users]
  • ...use "save as..." to store files under a new filename (text editor only) [requested by Magnus]
  • ...use a button for single vertex manipulation ("SyncEdit") in the text editor [requested by Willy]
  • ...benefit from a new "how-to-use" description for the SlicerPro2 tool.

The following critical issues were fixed:
  1. Rectifier created rect#.dat primitives when "Split" and "SlicerPro2" were used.
  2. Rectifier created rect-prims that were scaled in three dimensions.
  3. Fixed an issue which was related to the parsing of the !HISTORY meta command
  4. Fixed a null pointer issue with "Add Quad" and other "Add..." functions.
  5. Fixed incorrect cursor movement when single vertex manipulation was active.
  6. Fixed a GUI access issue, which occured on drag&drop with text editor tabs.
  7. Fixed a random null pointer issue, which could disable the tab from the text editor window when more than one tab was opened.
  8. In some rare cases when a flat subfile was scaled in X/Y or Z and the transformation matrix contained more than one space as seperator between the values, the corresponding "Quick Fix" was not able fix the scaling.

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, it is still a beta version and something can go wrong in about 100.000 lines of code.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1. Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LPE.
  4. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LPE.

Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, LPE 0.8.5 was carefully tested and developed, there are already known issues for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".

LPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (32/64bit): Windows [XP; Vista; 7 or newer], Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 2.5GB
  • Video-Memory: 512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB

Recommended Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7, Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:

Code:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

In general, I recommend to install the 64-bit version of the JVM for Java 8.

___
* normally, I want to do at least one release per month.

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Released - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-08

Going on with my questions... While there are lots of options to inline something, I found no "built in" way of making a subfile from a selection. So I tried the manual route: cut elements to be moved in the subpart, created a new subpart and... failed there: it seems you can't paste things to another file?

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Released - Gerald Lasser - 2016-03-08

That works for me.

- Create the empty subpart in the project's "s" directory
- Select from the original 3D view the items you want to copy (prims, quads, lines all together)
- Copy them (Ctrl-C)
- Paste (Ctrl-P) them in the new subfile

that worked for me.

Indeed a button to do that would be perfect!

What Nils intended is:
- Do your part.
- Whatever you want to subfile shall be framed by
0 !LPE INLINE 1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\test2.dat
4 12 -40 -12 -20 40 -12 -20 40 -12 60 -40 -12 60
1 12 0 -20 20 36 0 0 0 0 -44 0 -1 0 48\4-4disc.dat
1 12 40 -32 -12 0 -80 0 0 0 -26 26 0 0 4-4cylo.dat
0 !LPE INLINE END
- Click on "Compile Subfile Data" and test2.dat is created in "s"

Indeed, it works. But I have lots of focus issues (eg. if you click on a button, the 3D window is no longer focused, without any visual clue, so I guess the ctrl+c was missed).

Quote:What Nils intended is:
- Do your part.
- Whatever you want to subfile shall be framed by
0 !LPE INLINE 1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\test2.dat
Interesting, but quite complex compared to similar function in LDDP (do a selection, hit the subfile button, selection is moved to subfile and a reference to the subfile is created)

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Released - Gerald Lasser - 2016-03-08

Your suggestion would really make the workflow smoother as the step of sorting and collecting will be skipped.

And actually an improvement over LDDP since there you can't select non-contiguous pieces of code...

Focus issues... - Nils Schmidt - 2016-03-08

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Indeed, it works. But I have lots of focus issues (eg. if you click on a button, the 3D window is no longer focused, without any visual clue, so I guess the ctrl+c was missed).

That's interesting! Smile
I heard something similar from Willy Tschager and created a high-priority ticket for this issue. It should be easy to reproduce and to fix.

First Tutorial Video Is Online (Topic: Download & Installation) - Nils Schmidt - 2016-03-08

Hi,

I just finished the first tutorial video with some audio commentary and subtitles.
The topic is "Download & Installation". You don't have to watch this video if you are using LDPE already.

You can watch it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ektI6yMB-2s

How do I proceed in the future? I will focus on some basic stuff first. Installation, startup and then all functions and features.
One by one, from opening a file, adding a vertex, to generating CSG bodies, !TEXMAP, ...

Later on, I will do a video about the topic: "What is LDPartEditor?" and why I created it...

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Released - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-09

Found two little glitches...
- In the attached file, I colored two rectangle greens. But LDPE shows them as main color, even if LDPE selection window shows that the color is indeed '2'.

- In the same file, if I select the two yellow boxes then select -> touching, the two green rectangles are not selected, though they are touching (that's something I can understand, determining adjacency of 2 subfiles is not easy)
- Stranger, the 3 red lines on the back face get selected, though they are definitely not touching...

"Select -> Touching" Issue / Subfile Selection - Nils Schmidt - 2016-03-09

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Found two little glitches...
1. In the attached file, I colored two rectangle greens. But LDPE shows them as main color, even if LDPE selection window shows that the color is indeed '2'.
2. In the same file, if I select the two yellow boxes then select -> touching, the two green rectangles are not selected, though they are touching (that's something I can understand, determining adjacency of 2 subfiles is not easy)
Stranger, the 3 red lines on the back face get selected, though they are definitely not touching...

1. The solution is very easy. There are two overlapping surfaces:
Code:
4 16 -38 16 -18 -38 16 -12 -38 8 -12 -38 8 -18
4 16 -38 8 18 -38 8 12 -38 16 12 -38 16 18
You have to delete them. Select the two green rectangles. Hide them (with a click on the ghost button). Select the two unwanted quads, delete them and click on "Show All".

2. Indeed, the "Select -> Touching" feature behaves strangely. I have to investigate what was going on there.