LDraw.org Discussion Forums
[Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Administrative (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? (/thread-2084.html)

[Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? - Tim Gould - 2011-12-06

Personally I find it really frustrating that the LDraw.org logo in the top left corner links to the main website and not the forums. But I suspect that its 'natural destination' might vary depending on who you are.

So I'd like to take a poll of people here to see what users think. When it comes to UI issues like this I figure the users are collectively more accurate than the webmasters.

So please vote. I've left it open indefinitely but the sooner we get a bunch of votes (and a trend) the sooner decisions can be made one way or another.

Tim

Re: [Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? - Roland Melkert - 2011-12-07

The picture says: "LDraw.org", so unless you change the picture so it says "LDraw forum" it should link to the main site .

Re: [Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? - Tim Gould - 2011-12-07

Agreed. Actually that also reminds me that it should say "Centralised" to keep with the AUEnglish standard.

Tim

Re: [Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? - Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2011-12-07

Logically, it should link to ldraw.org.

However... as a user, my first intuition (before clicking it) was that it would bring me to the front page of the forums. (It was rather annoying to type in forums.ldraw.org to return to the main page before I noticed the LDraw.org > Forums link directly under the banner.)

There is the possibility that if it links to the main forum page, and if someone unacquainted with LDraw happens to stumble upon the forums for the first time via google or a blog or whatever, they may assume that the main forum page is the main ldraw page. Along those lines, I propose we modify the image at the top to clearly state that we are on the forums, not LDraw.org itself.

Whatever we decide, I think it should be re-evaluated when the new main site is launched.

Re: [Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-07

I like to add that this is an easy change so whatever is decided, I can change it right away. Actually I might even be able to make it a user changeable option.

Re: [Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? - Jim DeVona - 2011-12-07

I'm on record that the logo at the top of the forum pages should go to the front page of the forums. At least, that's what I keep thinking will happen whenever I click on it!

Tim Gould Wrote:Agreed. Actually that also reminds me that it should say "Centralised" to keep with the AUEnglish standard.

Tim

Done http://forums.ldraw.org/showthread.php?tid=2100&pid=2100#pid2100

Re: [Poll] To where should the top-left picture link? - Philippe Hurbain - 2011-12-07

What about creating a forum logo with a distinct graphic look (might be as simple as a different brick color - I don't think the simple text change as done by Tim is enough to know which is which at first sight). Then we could have a forum logo on the left leading to forum top, and a LDraw logo on the right, leading to LDraw website.

Totally agree. Willy suggested this to me by email too. He also suggested some other changes that are a bit harder so it will take a bit longer.

Tim

why not 2 images? - Steffen - 2011-12-07

(a)
I agree with previous posters:
As long as the image says "ldraw.org Logo", it should link to ldraw.org.
Would it show an "ldraw.org Forums Logo", it should link to the forums start page.
So I cannot vote currently, because I cannot express this :-(

(b)
why not have 2 images there at the top?
one with the ldraw.org logo, it links to ldraw.org.
one with the ldraw.org forums logo, it links to the forums start page :-))))

Re: why not 2 images? - Tim Gould - 2011-12-07

Completely agree with this. Left-top should, IMO, link to the forum (since this is standard for most sites), Right-top should link to the main site.

But I'm happy for them to be the reverse.

Re: why not 2 images? - Jim DeVona - 2011-12-07

I like this idea too.

Re: why not 2 images? - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-07

How's it now?

Re: why not 2 images? - Tim Gould - 2011-12-07

ALmost perfect. But you need to update the red brick image with the latest from my BS. Willy made me update it Wink

Tim

Re: why not 2 images? - Steffen - 2011-12-07

the ldraw.org logo should be at the same place all over the site ldraw.org.

It should not jump from left to right etc.

As you already wrote, most other sites have the logo in the top left,
so we should do that the same.

So we just need a place for the "forums" home image.

I suggest to not put it to right corner, because this maximises the distance to the top left corner,
and all navigation should be accumulated at some central place.

So my suggestion is:
1. put ldraw.org logo to top left corner across all pages, including the forums.
2. put ldraw.org forums logo just next to it

99% there - Steffen - 2011-12-07

nice, the 2 images are now present :-)

what is confusing to me now is that the ldraw.org logo jumps from the top left corner
(e.g. on page www.ldraw.org, or on the PT)
to the top right corner
(in the forums).

it should be at the same place always.
I prefer top left corner for that purpose.

Re: 99% there - Steffen - 2011-12-07

can the favicon.ico of the forums be changed to the blue brick as well?

Re: 99% there - Tim Gould - 2011-12-07

Having thought about this some more (and looked at other sites) I agree with you.

It would also make them follow the breadcrumbs.

Tim

Re: 99% there - Chris Dee - 2011-12-07

... or we could generate a "Parts Tracker" logo for the top left of the PT and put the main LDraw logo also on the top right there. I had been thinking about that challenge as part of the "Parts Requestor" development.

Tim, would it be possible to have images other colours with the text "Parts Tracker" and "Parts Requestor"?

Re: 99% there - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-07

So switch the positions?

Very easy. I've got it all set up now for easy editing and rendering.

Any preferences for colours?

Hmmmm...

I like Chris' suggestion too though: each section has its own link in the top left while the main site link remains in the top right.

Perhaps switch them for now (to keep in consistent with the present site design) and when we redo the website we can make a final decision.

coherence - Steffen - 2011-12-07

currently, yes, please,
because currently the forums are the only sub-site which let the logo jump from top-left corner to top-right.

should a later decision decide to put it somewhere else,
this can easily be done,

but currently, user interface coherence is more important IMHO

Re: 99% there - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-07

Ok, so how should we do the main site logo? I'm currently editing the new site now so if we finalized the look I can incorporate it into the design.

Re: coherence - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-07

Switching is easy so when we decide how to do this in the future, I can just edit the CSS.

Blue Logo link seems broken - Travis Cobbs - 2011-12-08

The blue logo doesn't seem to have the proper link attached. For me, it's always a link to the current page I'm looking at, no matter what that is.

confirmed - Steffen - 2011-12-08

same here. should point to http://forums.ldraw.org IMHO

Re: Blue Logo link seems broken - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-08

Fixed. A typo in the setting template.

Re: 99% there - Jean-Philippe Ouellet - 2011-12-08

Could it blend to transparent instead of blend to white? IMHO it would look better against the light-grey (gray?) background.

Re: 99% there - Tim Gould - 2011-12-08

Yes it can in theory. But I haven't decided if I prefer it enough to try it yet Smile

Re: why not 2 images? - Willy Tschager - 2011-12-08

Both logos need some room above and below. My guess is 20-30 px.

w.

Re: why not 2 images? - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-08

How's that? We still haven't answered the question of where the main site's logo will go.

Re: why not 2 images? - Willy Tschager - 2011-12-08

Orion Pobursky Wrote:How's that? We still haven't answered the question of where the main site's logo will go.

Better! Try 5 px more. As for the logo: Top, left-hand corner (as almost all sites).

w.