LDraw.org Discussion Forums
OMRize tutorial at main page - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: General LDraw.org Discussion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: OMRize tutorial at main page (/thread-20170.html)

OMRize tutorial at main page - Willy Tschager - 2016-01-24

Hi,

I have copied Philo's wiki OMR tutorial to the main site.

w.

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Damien Roux - 2016-02-13

Is it possible to make a LDR file OMR compliant or does it only works with MPD files?

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Orion Pobursky - 2016-02-13

Well an LDR is just a single file MPD so it should work.

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-02-14

As far as I know that's perfectly fine. I already uploaded a few .ldr files to omr.ldraw.org too.
Only thing is that MPDCenter doesn't really work with ldr files.

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-02-14

Looks like there is a little credit issue here Wink http://omr.ldraw.org/file/52

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Michael Heidemann - 2016-02-14

MPDCenter works with ldr files! But MPDCenter is NOT designed for OMR checking. It is designed for working with mpd content files. But I will have a look at the source code for your wish to have MPDCenter as THE checking tool for OMR conformity.

Well, yes it works with ldr files, but I believe there were some minor things that didn't work (very well). I can't remember what it was though and it was nothing major or anything.

Quote:But I will have a look at the source code for your wish to have MPDCenter as THE checking tool for OMR conformity

Isn't it already a bit like that? I mean, probably most people use MPDcenter for checking OMR conformity right? I also use it to update ~moved references and remove inlined parts (because official ones exist). I've checked every file at omr.ldraw.org, A LOT of the models from the originial omr zip file weren't updated in a long time and included all kinds of those.

Oops. Fixed Wink

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Christian Neumann - 2016-02-14

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:I also use it to update ~moved references and remove inlined parts (because official ones exist). I've checked every file at omr.ldraw.org, A LOT of the models from the originial omr zip file weren't updated in a long time and included all kinds of those.

Is there a way to track which models still use inofficial / inlined files based on a specific library version? Or is this step done every time a new part library update is released?

Well, I was actually thinking about this earlier today. At the moment, there isn't any automatic checking of models already on the site. I doubt if that's really needed though (aside from the fact if it's possible); there are only about 2 parts releases a year. So, when there's a new part release, I can download all models from the website and run them through an offline program that checks them and then update the ones with changed parts.

As far as I know though, there's not a piece of software at the moment that can bulk check a lot of files one after another.

Of course, in an ideal world the whole website would be automated. And maybe it will be in the future, but at the moment it isn't Wink

If I look at the pages I see some data with (in my eyes) misleading description.
Example:

Code:
File header
0 FILE 6232 - Skeleton Crew.ldr
0 Skeleton Crew
0 Name: 6232 - Skeleton Crew.ldr
0 Author: Stan Isachenko [angmarec]

In my understanding of the different things, this is the starting section of an mpd content file. As mpd content files does not have a header the description "File header" is not correct.

I am fully with you if you delete a line like "0 FILE xxxxxx" as this is only necessary for mpd content files. The lines after that line are the perfect file header of the first file in the mpd content file.

Just my 0.005 cent.

I just went to the standard and there i find the following sentence:
Code:
Each model in the OMR will consist of several files that are packaged together into a single MPD file.

This implies to me (not native english) that each model is a mpd content file.
Therefore only this check is integrated into MPDCenter!

With MPDCenter it is also easy to convert a ldr into a mpd content file.

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Orion Pobursky - 2016-02-14

I thought we changed that to allow a single file with no unofficial parts.

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Willy Tschager - 2016-02-14

No. Single LDRs got repacked as MPD 'cos OMR allows only MPDs.

w.

Well, to me that sounds a bit silly. The only real difference between an .mpd and a .ldr is the file extension. I mean, you can name a .mpd a .ldr and it would work fine in most software.

If the model is small or simple enough that it doesn't need any submodels, an .ldr is enough right?

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Jaco van der Molen - 2016-02-17

FMI: Does a OMR model contain steps or is it just the model?

Re: OMRize tutorial at main page - Orion Pobursky - 2016-02-17

Steps following the original instructions are desired but not required