LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans (/thread-18426.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Milan Vančura - 2016-01-20

OK, and why didn't you add snapping for those parts, already?
My experience: it's so easy that it's usually easier to create such snapping info than to put the part at the correct place manually. Since I found that, I never place parts without snapping. You only need a small preparation work at the first time. Next times, it's an easy operation in LDCad.

Full howto is in one of older LDCad threads, just shortly:

preparations:
a. go to your LDCad folder (use your filemanager), to shadow/ subdir and unzip the offlibShadow.csl file. You may need to rename it to .zip first
b. start LDCad, set shadow parameter of your LDraw dir to the directory instead of .csl file (Prefs->LDraw)
c. restart LDCad and allow "shadow editing" feature: "Prefs" -> "Editing" -> "Part editing" -> "Part (shadow) editing"

Since now, everything is easy. Each part in the part bin has an edit icon. Click on it and edit shadow info: in the part bin, go to "main group" -> "Special parts" -> "LDCad snap meta items", take the snapping object you want (usually a cylinder but in the case described above, use a sphere), put it at the correct place and press a middle button to open preferences window. There, fill in all properties you need (at least male/female and size).

Go back to the main model and test it. When you are OK with it, go to the model/window with the part and save it. And then, send new shadow files here, as we do.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-01-20

Quote:it would be nice the the part-snapping supports the ('new') ball-joints

I'll try to add most info for the 2015-02 parts in the 1.5 release. Don't know when though, I haven't had much bug reports etc so not much has changed in the current builds compared to the online beta. I have managed to add MSAA though so maybe I do a definite release this or next weekend anyway.

In the mean time you could add it manually like Milan wrote, and because this part uses primitives you probably only have to add the below line to "joint-8-socket-frica.dat" to cover them all in one go.

Code:
0 !LDCAD SNAP_GEN [gender=F] [bounding=sph 8] [match=size] [placement=free]

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-01-20

Hmm, I just tried, but I couldn't get it to work.

I added joint-8-socket-frica.dat to the shadow library with the line you specified, but it doesn't work. It's probably me who's doing something wrong, right? Wink

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:Hmm, I just tried, but I couldn't get it to work.

I added joint-8-socket-frica.dat to the shadow library with the line you specified, but it doesn't work. It's probably me who's doing something wrong, right? Wink

Did you update the search paths to use the unzipped shadow location?

Also I just noticed these socket parts are unofficial, so I won't be adding them to the default shadow file.

Instead you could also just add the !LDCAD line directly into the "joint-8-socket-frica.dat" of your unofficial library file location itself. That way you wont have to unpack csl's/adjust settings etc.

Yea, I just noticed too that the (sub)part is still unofficial (altough why!? after almost 2 years...).

Anyway, I didn't updated the search path, I just rezipped it to the csf file. I supposed that would work too...
But, I just realized I was only testing with 1 part. And guess what, it was exactly a part that still didn't work.

That leads me to the folllowing question: any idea why the ball-side of part 14419 and 15456 still aren't connecting the the socket, while parts like 14417 do connect? Am I missing another connection line?

You can visualize snap info in the part info and editing area for all renderings by pressing F11.

There is no primitive for the ball side of the joint so any new parts (like 14419) need to define the male part of the connection them selves. By adding below line (edit pos= as needed)

Code:
0 !LDCAD SNAP_GEN [pos=0 0 0] [gender=M] [bounding=sph 8] [match=size] [placement=free]

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Milan Vančura - 2016-01-20

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:Anyway, I didn't updated the search path, I just rezipped it to the csf file. I supposed that would work too...
Try the howto I summarized for you. I checked again now that I did not forget anything so it should work if you follow it step by step.

I'm looking forward to welcome you in our unofficial group of shadowers Big Grin

Milan

Oh, that f11 feature is quite nice for a situation like this. I was already wondering if there was something like that hidden in LDCad.

I was under the impression that the ball-sides were all primitives. Ah well, I'll edit a few of the parts tomorrow. With 72 Mixels in total and pretty much all of them using these parts, I'd like to make it a bit easier for myself Wink

Thanks for the help Roland and Milan! Hopefully I get it working tomorow Smile

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Jason Smith - 2016-01-20

I'm thinking with the recent info of Lego discontinuing LDD we should see some more builders venture over to the LDraw side of things especially LDCad cause it's the best.

It's been mentioned before but any changes giving LDCad a more user friendly appearance may be beneficial right now.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Michael Horvath - 2016-01-21

I prefer a more standard Windows-like GUI than the blue boxy GUI LDCad has right now, but whatever.