LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans (/thread-18426.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Michael Horvath - 2016-01-11

1. I would like to see program tabs for currently opened documents.
2. I would also like to have a way to move the parts always in the same XYZ directions when pressing keys, regardless of where the camera is pointing.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-01-11

Quote:I would also like to have a way to move the parts always in the same XYZ directions when pressing keys, regardless of where the camera is pointing.

As a result of the hotkey handling changes I'm currently working on it will be possible to reassign the arrow keys to general xyz movement no matter the state of the editing pin as long you clear the hotkeys (or set different ones) for the state depended handling as it is a first come fist served kinda thing.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Dahl - 2016-01-11

Hi Roland,

actually I only have one "nice to have" wish.

Very often I only want to have a couple of parts visible, while the rest of the model is hidden: I click the parts which shall be visible, choose the "select" menue, than "invert" and finally press the button "hide selection". So I would highly appreciate if there would be a single key or button for the previous described sequence.

And I copy Milans wishes:
Milan Vančura Wrote:* to be able to select a snap point (of any brick in the model) as the origin of coordinates
* for each brick (or brick group or submodel): to be able to select one of its snap points as the brick center
* snapping while rotation: .. - useful for triangles etc.

thanks and kind regards
roland

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-01-11

Roland D. Wrote:Very often I only want to have a couple of parts visible, while the rest of the model is hidden: I click the parts which shall be visible, choose the "select" menue, than "invert" and finally press the button "hide selection". So I would highly appreciate if there would be a single key or button for the previous described sequence.
This will be possible in 1.6 using a macro (script). This feature is actually the main reason I'm changing the hotkey handling for key customization. As those changes are also needed to universally access any menu item or current hotkey enabled action from scripts.

The needed script for your example will be very easy, it would look something like this:
Code:
ldc.runAction('editSes_selInv')
ldc.runAction('editSes_selHide')

You can then assign it a hotkey and or place a button for it in the menubar.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Dahl - 2016-01-11

Excellent! Another christmas gift! Thanks.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Milan Vančura - 2016-01-11

Roland D. Wrote:Very often I only want to have a couple of parts visible, while the rest of the model is hidden
This reminds me a feature I wish so long time I forgot to ask Smile
Roland, please, can you add a slider to set selection or group opacity/transparency?
To be able to create pictures or videos similar to this image.

And, a following feature request: to be able to set a temporary color for a/each group and to be able to save such setting and turn it on and off as needed. I mean: to build whole model as usual but, when needed, to be able to switch to this kind of view.

Both features are more than handy for Technic models...

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Michael Horvath - 2016-01-12

Milan Vančura Wrote:
Roland D. Wrote:Very often I only want to have a couple of parts visible, while the rest of the model is hidden
This reminds me a feature I wish so long time I forgot to ask Smile
Roland, please, can you add a slider to set selection or group opacity/transparency?

For many years I thought this was the function of the Ghost option in MLCad but I was wrong. Smile

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-01-12

Milan Vančura Wrote:This reminds me a feature I wish so long time I forgot to ask Smile

And, a following feature request: to be able to set a temporary color for a/each group and to be able to save such setting and turn it on and off as needed. I mean: to build whole model as usual but, when needed, to be able to switch to this kind of view.
This might become, partly, possible using scripts too. You can already experiment with it in 1.5 using the animation scripts. Short example:

Code:
function register()

local ani=ldc.animation('test')
  ani:setLength(10)  
  ani:setEvent('frame', 'onFrame')
end

function onFrame()

local sf=ldc.subfile()
  local grp=sf:getGroup('Group 1')
  local ani=ldc.animation.getCurrent()
  local col=ani:getFrameTime()
  grp:setColor(col)
end

register()

This will change the color of 'group 1' to the playback second's color number.

While pausing the animation you can export the OpenGL rendering (and thus the model in alternative colors).

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - David Manley - 2016-01-13

I don't think this capability currently exists in LDCad but correct me if I'm wrong.

The ROTSTEP command in LPUB is helpful when writing building instructions, with LPUB having a default camera view angle for the instructions.
  1. Add a "build instructions view" option (to the 3D view or perhaps as a separate viewing angle) to display the model from the (LDCad) default camera angle position. When using the "build instructions view", the model will not be rotatable.
  2. Allow the (LDCad) default camera angle to be specified/changed. Perhaps set its initial value to whatever the corresponding angle is in LPUB.
  3. When stepping through the instructions in LDCad and a ROTSTEP command is encountered in an LDraw file, rotate the "building instructions view" viewing angle accordingly.
  4. Add capability to insert ROTSTEP commands into the LDraw file. An interactive angle selection by looking at the model (a la MLCad) would be useful.

Regards,

David

P.S. Congratulations on the receiving the James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2015.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Milan Vančura - 2016-01-13

Roland Melkert Wrote:This might become, partly, possible using scripts too. You can already experiment with it in 1.5 using the animation scripts.
While pausing the animation you can export the OpenGL rendering (and thus the model in alternative colors).
Thanks for an example. You are right - part of that already works - that's promising. However, there are still some issues as you can see in my example:
  • edges are not transparent so one gets something like a wired model - emphasized groups still are not visible well
  • to set alpha channel of bricks walls one needs to modify ldconfig.ldr and restart LDCad (twice)
  • scripting API does not contain any call to make a selection so I had to make a group containing all the model
  • one needs scripting - this becomes even more complicated when/if we needed a real animation as well

Anyway, it's really promising that LDCad already knows each part of this feature. Can I therefore ask for a full feature merging them to one nice hotkey (+slider for opacity)? Smile