LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans (/thread-18426.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-01-07

Quote:This might be a bug, I'll have to check. It should show a thin white/blue line for the remaining unused space.
I do see a red/white line when I pull too far, but if the part is shorter that its defined length there is no "remaining unused space" - so I see no white/blue line.
I also tried with a closed rubber band, and if the length is shorter than defined there is also some folding on itself at band seam.

Speaking of rubber bands, maybe it should be interesting to make length tolerance assymetrical: a rubber band can't be shorter than its unextended length, but can be stretched up to say 100%.

(edit): Still about rubber bands, I find it a bit annoying that LDCad only shows theoretical length, not actual one.
A related question, is there an easy way to get the length of a flexible part while editing it in nested mode? Ideally in real time, but dhowing lengh when idle would be already nice, currently I found no other way than going back to normal editing mode.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-01-07

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:I see no white/blue line.
It could have sworn there was a white/blue line somewhere in there but I checked the source
Code:
path.generateFallBackLine(fallbackRD, path.getLenUsed(), path.getLenReal(), TLDColor(15), TLDColor(4));
And you are right it's a red/white one only, I've must have changed it a some point Smile

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Speaking of rubber bands, maybe it should be interesting to make length tolerance assymetrical: a rubber band can't be shorter than its unextended length, but can be stretched up to say 100%.

(edit): Still about rubber bands, I find it a bit annoying that LDCad only shows theoretical length, not actual one.
A related question, is there an easy way to get the length of a flexible part while editing it in nested mode? Ideally in real time, but dhowing lengh when idle would be already nice, currently I found no other way than going back to normal editing mode.
The real-life part length is something the constraint description was intended for, I will polish that feature at some point. The current length of any generated part should also be given in the part bin cell hints, but I just discovered this only works for parts without a open editing session. I'll correct this in the definitive 1.5 version.

Milan Vančura Wrote:I hope it is Smile Or, better said, even this is too much for LDCad 1.6, we shall discuss this anyway, for future. It's the best time, I believe, because there is a maintainer of LPub again, after several years, so we have a partner for discussions.

Buffer exchange works for immediate replacements of everything from this step. But, sometimes, the situation is more complicated. Especially with Technic models instructions. Look at this example, steps 45-48. There is a submodel containing some (long) pins and a bendable front part, now straight. After this submodel is attached to the main model there is a step with arrows showing how to push those long pins, then another step showing pins in the new location and the front part of the (sub)model bent to the new angle and soft axles bent as well, connected with that front part.

This is near to impossible to create with bufferexchange commands because they are too "heavy" - they force you to replace everything or nothing, they can't work with parts of submodels in the main model etc. It's like an attempt to fix your watches with a jackhammer. I believe we need more subtle and precise commands.
Maybe I'm over simplyfinig it but the first thing that springs to me is adding an option to groups to control in which step(s) it should be shown. This combined with the nested use of groups (and the planned multi layered use of groups) should make it possible to hide/show anything when needed. But it would only be really useful if LPub would also be able to use it.

Milan Vančura Wrote:I'm not 100% sure I understand you. A very good explanation is at LPub tutorial page. Simply said, the "store" and "retrieve" pair of commands is used to forget everything between them and continue after retrieve with the model as it was in time of "save" command. Another example is in the tutorial I linked above.
Thanks I'll take a look at those pages and see if I can think of something useful Smile[/quote]

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Willy Tschager - 2016-01-08

A basic tutorial for BufferExchange can be found on my site:

http://www.holly-wood.it/mlcad/advanced1-en.html#buffer_exchange

w.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Jeff Maughmer - 2016-01-10

Hopefully an easy one.

Roland, happy new year. Love your program. I am in the process of converting models from LDD to LDraw and have discovered your program and am really liking it. However, some of my LDD models are quite large. What I need is the right click ability from LDD. I need to be able to set a new rotation centerpoint.

Currently, it seems like the camera centerpoint is fixed in the center of the bounding box for the whole model. I need to be able to pick a brick and make it the new camera centerpoint (since some of my models are geographically quite large and spread out) and zoom in tight on that one area and spin around it to work. If this is already a capability, please forgive my ignorance. I am still learning all of the details of the interface. It does seem like I can achieve an approximation of what I am looking for by switching back and forth between 2D and 3D modes (using 2D mode to gain a new camera centerpoint), but it would be nice to have the centerpoint function on the right click popup for a brick (allowing it to be set directly from 3D mode).

Oh ya... in the normal course of editing I would be looking to use this ability with the SPN rotation style... but I imagine the concept could work the same for both styles.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-01-10

Hi OldT1mer, welcome here!
I don't know if this does exactly what you want, but "c" key centers the view on current selection.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-01-10

I think it is what he meant.
But, aside from that. I personally didn't knew about the feature hiding behind the C key. It's actually quite useful. Smile

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Jeff Maughmer - 2016-01-10

Awesome! Thank you, Philippe. That is exactly what I was looking for.

C is for center... that's good enough for me. Smile

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-01-10

You can also move the view around by using shift+right mouse button.

And 'c' also work while dragging a new part into the model, it will center on the current mouse location that way.