LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans (/thread-18426.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Milan Vančura - 2016-01-03

Hello Roland.

I've summarized what we have already discussed in (several) different threads:

* to be able to select a snap point (of any brick in the model) as the origin of coordinates
* for each brick (or brick group or submodel): to be able to select one of its snap points as the brick center
NOTE: I know we define snap objects, not points. That's a question how to deal with this. The idea behind is: to be able to select one antistud in the model, one stud on the brick and then connect them with a 'C' key. Another usage: mark a hinge snap point as the coordinates origin to be able to rotate the brick (or brick group or submodel) around this point.

* snapping while rotation: while turning the brick, adjust the rotation angle to snap (do not move the brick, only rotate) - useful for triangles etc.

* snapping for templates - for example Hose Rigid 3mm snapping with Clips or Minifig Hands, regardless how it is bent

* to be able to activate and deactivate 'used' snap objects. The idea is to select only from free studs (etc.) when putting new brick to the model. However, some snap objects are bigger and more bricks may be snapped on it, for example Technic Axle. That's why user needs to be able to activate and deactivate this limitation.

* support of buffer exchange and arrows editing: to be able to add and edit arrows in 3D model space - in a way LPub understands them so we can create instructions like this. More comfortable GUI than it is in MLCAD would be highly appreciated Smile (Maybe agree with LPub3D maintainer on a new syntax, too?)

* grid step lesser than 1 - good for part (EDIT: snap data) editing

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-01-03

Milan Vančura Wrote:[...]
* snapping for templates - for example Hose Rigid 3mm snapping with Clips or Minifig Hands, regardless how it is bent
[...]

+1 for this one Smile
Especially when the clips are rotated in a weird way, it's quite a lot of work to line up the rigid hose or flex-axles with the current version. Also because those flexible parts can move/transform a little when doing something somwhere else on the same part. If you'd implement such a snapping feature for flexible parts, you'd probably need to implement a way to 'lock the snap' (just like in real life), if you understand what I mean...

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-01-04

Quote:count can be used to indicate e.g. the number of brick of this kind present in a offical set or something. If above 0 it will be displayed in the parts cell. Future versions of LDCad will do more useful stuff with this property for now its only a FYI thing.
...do something useful with the "count" property?

BTW, is it possible to structure a bit an official set parts bin (add some sub-bins for multi-thousand parts sets)?

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Gerald Lasser - 2016-01-04

I used 1.5 a bit and I did not see the following:

Would it be possible to display the HELP line in the part when you click on "Properties"?

If there is placement information inside it would be nice to quickly access it.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-01-04

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
Milan Vančura Wrote:[...]
[...]

+1 for this one Smile
Especially when the clips are rotated in a weird way, it's quite a lot of work to line up the rigid hose or flex-axles with the current version. Also because those flexible parts can move/transform a little when doing something somwhere else on the same part. If you'd implement such a snapping feature for flexible parts, you'd probably need to implement a way to 'lock the snap' (just like in real life), if you understand what I mean...
Snap points inclusion on generated parts (inherited from the donorparts) is pending, I'll put it on the must have list.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
Quote:count can be used to indicate e.g. the number of brick of this kind present in a offical set or something. If above 0 it will be displayed in the parts cell. Future versions of LDCad will do more useful stuff with this property for now its only a FYI thing.
...do something useful with the "count" property?
My initial plan for this was to have it decrease the numbers baded on the current model so you could build a model and end up with zero parts in the bin when finished. I've also been playing with the idea to keep an inventory of your real life parts and have those decrease based on the current model. That way you would know if you can build something or not using your real life stuff. the later would need some kind of tool to enter your collection. I'll put the set decreasing feature back on the to do list.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:BTW, is it possible to structure a bit an official set parts bin (add some sub-bins for multi-thousand parts sets)?
Yes you can do that by using a group of the 'dirlist' kind or a 'basic' one referencing the subgroups but those groups need to be outside the sets folder or they will show up twice.

Gerald Lasser Wrote:I used 1.5 a bit and I did not see the following:

Would it be possible to display the HELP line in the part when you click on "Properties"?

If there is placement information inside it would be nice to quickly access it.
I was considering to use the source window for that. It was supposed to work with an option you can use to assign what to display in a certain source window (current model, selected part, some locked part/model). But I dropped that feature for the 1.5 version thinking it should first be 'perfect' combined with just the current model/part.

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:I have another suggestion: being able to make a flexible net. I mean parts like these. I imagine something in the same way as current flexible parts, but with 4 end points (the 4 corners of the net) and points in the middle to make it a 'valley' shape or a 'hill' shape.

Ok, it might be quite difficult to make and it's probably a bit of a 'niche', but it would be nice to have nonetheless Wink
I did consider adding a cloth generator but it never came further then a bit of resource on how to dynamically define/generate such things. I might revisit it when all other major things are done (in version 1.7 or higher).

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-01-04

Quote:Yes you can do that by using a group of the 'dirlist' kind or a 'basic' one referencing the subgroups
Actually I hoped for something like 'catlist' but applied to a static list (similar to a set pbg) generating automatically subcategories.

Or maybe a filter group that uses another group or static item list as a source instead of the inventory? I'll put this on the nice to have list Smile