LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans (/thread-18426.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-30

Quote:* I want to search any/all bins after a partnumber? Or is that only me, being a part author, knowing to many partnumbers?
Click on the search field, and in the popup window check "name". You can make this the default behaviour (set as default below options button). But I don't like this that much as default because it interferes when I search for say a 16L beam.
Quote:* Would it be possible to rotate the part in the bins? I want to see the pattern/sticker sometimes placed on the backside of the part.
Ctrl+drag on a bin. Right click + set as default if you want to keep orientation between bin tabs
edit: Roland was faster !!!

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Magnus Forsberg - 2016-03-30

OK, thanks.
Rotating the parts was easy, but I don't get the search method. Checking the Name and entering a part number gives me nothing.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-03-30

Magnus Forsberg Wrote:but I don't get the search method. Checking the Name and entering a part number gives me nothing.
You probably need to use the generic search group as the filter always acts on the current group's content only.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Milan Vančura - 2016-03-30

Hi.

It depends on where you try to search. If you have a part bin of some category open, the "search" field works as a filter for this category of parts only. If you want to search in all parts, select the "Search" bin. Then, type the desired part number and hit Enter. The advanced search window appears. Tick the "Name" checkbox and click OK. You should see your part(s) in the search results.

At least this is how I use it for about a year.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Magnus Forsberg - 2016-03-30

Got it working now.
Thanks again.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Willy Tschager - 2016-03-31

Roland Melkert Wrote:
Willy Tschager Wrote:A setting to get rid off the "Getting started" dialog or at least add a "Clear screen" to it where I do not get any further dialog.
I could add this but why would you want that? the dialog goes away as soon you open a (new) file no matter how you do that.

I guess it all boils down to that I'm annoyed by this dialog:

.png   LDCad.png (Size: 14.58 KB / Downloads: 34)

When I wanna build I don't wanna think about names and description and such ... I just wanna build! This is most true when I don't even wanna save what I had build, when I launch the prog to just try something out. It might sounds silly but this dialog is a mouse click too much, it's in between the great idea I have in my mind and the workbench on the screen ...

What I want is a "ready to drag'n'drop screen". In case I open a file from the disk I get no further Save message in case I haven't added anything. You can present that header thing before I save but not at the beginning.

w.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-31

I kind of agree with Willy on this one, when I started using LDCad I found it a bit frightening... now I just press esc as soon as I see it, so its usefulness for me is extremely doubtful. Would be much better to show it on save indeed.
In the same spirit (avoid unnecessary complexity to casual user) I'd simplify the subfile creation startup, just pop a window asking for a submodel name, along with "OK", "discard" and "Edit header" buttons. And please, don't create a dummy submodel if "discard" is pressed Wink

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Milan Vančura - 2016-03-31

I complete agree with this.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-03-31

Ah I see, I though Willy was talking about the 'getting started' window listing the recent files etc.

I could make this dialog optional but wouldn't that cause people to forget entering their author name? Resulting in having to do it n times afterwards.

Maybe I should ask to keep showing the dialog when you first close it instead like the default name etc.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Milan Vančura - 2016-03-31

No. We are saying that if this dialog is missed at the moment of opening the file we expect it appearing at the moment of the first attempt to save it. So nothing gets lost, there will be the same window asking you for the author name, license etc...
It's just a matter of taste: one wants to be asked at the beginning and others think it may be delayed to the moment of (first) saving action. For fast sketches.

It's not a big issue for me but it makes a good sense.