LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans (/thread-18426.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: LDCad 1.6 scripting preview clip - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-07

While a global acting script works great here, I think it would be interesting to be able to restict scope to current selection. Access to selection order would be useful too, eg. to write a script that builds a technic chain around currently selected gears.

Re: LDCad 1.6 scripting preview clip - Roland Melkert - 2016-03-07

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:While a global acting script works great here, I think it would be interesting to be able to restict scope to current selection. Access to selection order would be useful too, eg. to write a script that builds a technic chain around currently selected gears.
This is possible using the new session:getSelection function, it basically returns a normal group (as internally the selection is technically just another group).

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-03-09

I just remembered a feature I'd like to see in LDCad. I believe I talked about this one earlier too: mirror building. Just like in SR3D Builder. Where you set up a mirror where you like, and then the software mirrors on side B what you're placing on side A.

Most parts can be mirrored without problems, but a bunch have a mirrored copy (wings etc.). I'm happy to help with such a list Smile

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-03-09

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:I just remembered a feature I'd like to see in LDCad. I believe I talked about this one earlier too: mirror building. Just like in SR3D Builder. Where you set up a mirror where you like, and then the software mirrors on side B what you're placing on side A.
I have been thinking about that but I'm probably going the cheap route and only offer a selection based axis flip. Problem is there might be different mirrored part versions for the different axis' but I might be overthinking that.

The basic flipping can even be done with the new macro scripting feature. But an list of mirrored parts would probably work better combined with a integrated feature.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Willy Tschager - 2016-03-13

Maybe this is already part of the setting and I couldn't find it. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the categories show the first part which corresponds alphabetically to the category. While Animal, Arch and Brick have a meaning you cannot tell at first sight that the 93609.dat leads to the Minifig category or why on earth the Duplo Plate 1x2 with Overhang should give an obvious clue for plates.

I wish there were a some sort of setting where by default some parts have been selected as representative for each category and where you also have the chance to change them or that the thumbnails also show the category's name.

w.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-03-13

Willy Tschager Wrote:Maybe this is already part of the setting and I couldn't find it. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the categories show the first part which corresponds alphabetically to the category. While Animal, Arch and Brick have a meaning you cannot tell at first sight that the 93609.dat leads to the Minifig category or why on earth the Duplo Plate 1x2 with Overhang should give an obvious clue for plates.
Those are generated groups based upon their !CATEGORY meta using the first part in the list as their mascot. So you could wonder why is a duplo part in the plate category to begin with (as there is a duplo one).

These weird category quirks and the need for sub categories is the reason I added the sorted top level group. Those offer all the options you describe through the corresponding pbg files.

Willy Tschager Wrote:I wish there were a some sort of setting where by default some parts have been selected as representative for each category and where you also have the chance to change them or that the thumbnails also show the category's name.
Letting the user optionally change the group mascots would be a nice extra feature, I might add that in one of the alpha's. Thanks for the idea.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-03-15

SR3D Builder's MirrorList.txt could be a nice starting point. I've attached it as example.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2016-03-15

I was hoping to solve this by adding a new meta you can use in the shadow library. Only problem I need to solve for that is how to handle inheritance so e.g. left/right wings can be handled in the shared subpart etc.

Re: LDCad 1.6 - unofficial parts handling - Roland Melkert - 2016-03-17

A while back someone asked to add some sort of an indication to show which parts are unofficial ones. I've added this by adding a small label in the bin cells.

The thing I'm wondering about... do people think this should be different for parts inside a mpd or maybe even different per unofficial source?

See below attached png for the current situation.

Re: LDCad 1.6 - unofficial parts handling - Travis Cobbs - 2016-03-18

I think what you have is fine.

However, you might consider instead having a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle, and when the user either clicks on that or hovers over it, have it show what it's warning about. For now, it could just say something like "Unofficial Part", but in the future you could add other warnings. Or, you could give more details in the warning, like you were asking about.