LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans (/thread-18426.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2015-12-29

Hi all,

As the current 1.5 beta 2a version seems to be reasonably stable I decided to start work on the 1.6 version. I have a number of personal targets for this version, namely:

"must have's":
  • More scripting (macro's, model generation through script etc)
  • Allow hot key customization (this is also needed for my macro/script extension plans)
  • Region selection (2d/3d rectangle/circle)
  • Part bin group management / creation.
  • MSAA LDraw rendering (this actually already works, so I might include it in the definite 1.5 version too).

"nice to have":
  • POVRay animation export.
  • Blender animation export.

But I'm also open for any ideas / suggestions users might have so please don't hesitate to post some of yours in this thread.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Willy Tschager - 2015-12-29

http://forums.ldraw.org/showthread.php?tid=18307&pid=18307#pid18307

w.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Orion Pobursky - 2015-12-30

I'd like to see:
- An OSX version.
- A more OS native "look and feel"

P.S.
It's been a bit since I used the flexible part feature, are fixed length bendable parts possible?

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Jason Smith - 2015-12-30

I personally would appreciate the following:

- In program GUI color editor.
- A simpler animation method.
- Instruction creation tool or wizard.
- Multi monitor support. (Editor screen on one screen, tools etc on another.)

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Merlijn Wissink - 2015-12-30

I'd like to see scriptless animation. Something like SR3D Builder had. I understand that that would be probably quite difficult, but it's something that would be very nice, especially in combination with your own suggested blender export I can see myself trying to animate some Technic models.

This is a whishlist right? Wink

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2015-12-30

Orion Pobursky Wrote:It's been a bit since I used the flexible part feature, are fixed length bendable parts possible?
Yes but it is currently undocumented. It's done through the part's header dialog (press enter in its own editor while nothing is selected). There you'll find the 'length constrains' panel on the 'path' tabpage.

You can also limit the number of segments on the path skin it self to get the same effect. But the constrains method is meant to be used combined with BOM generation etc, although this isn't used at the moment.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2015-12-30

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:I'd like to see scriptless animation. Something like SR3D Builder had. I understand that that would be probably quite difficult, but it's something that would be very nice, especially in combination with your own suggested blender export I can see myself trying to animate some Technic models.
You mean automatic kinetics? This is something I would like to implement some day, but as I'm not sure on how to do that yet I'm concentrating on the scripting api hoping it will become possible to write a kinetics solver through (thirdparty) scripts. This way you will be able to animating anything and not be limited to how much the hard coded solver 'understands' of it.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Damien Roux - 2015-12-31

Maybe it has already been discussed. But what about Lsynth support for flexible parts.
What I don't like with current way of implementing flexible parts is that it generates the part using primitives, not using subparts as Lsynth do. Therefor I cannot make LGEO replacements for PovRay renders.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Roland Melkert - 2015-12-31

You can mimic LSynth behavior by using the 'static' or 'dynamic' placement methods for path skin. Using this combined with (un)official (sub)parts should behave almost the same as LSynth placement wise.

See any of the 'LQ' templates for an example.

Re: LDCad 1.6 suggestions/plans - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-01-03

I have another suggestion: being able to make a flexible net. I mean parts like these. I imagine something in the same way as current flexible parts, but with 4 end points (the 4 corners of the net) and points in the middle to make it a 'valley' shape or a 'hill' shape.

Ok, it might be quite difficult to make and it's probably a bit of a 'niche', but it would be nice to have nonetheless Wink