LDraw.org Discussion Forums
[LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Author Tools (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released (/thread-18260.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Manipulator icons in a toolbar, instead of drop-down?! - Willy Tschager - 2016-03-04

I'm fine with it, but if the toolbars were movable like in MLCad one could place them on the sides ;-)

[Image: ml_basic-screen4-en.png]

w.

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-06

I am slowly progressing... and so stupid questions start to come:
- is there a way to graphically move a vertex belonging to a line/triangle/quad?
Found this one when I accidentally hovered on "move adjacent data" icon. Toolbar icons are nice when you are used to, but menus are MUCH easier for self discovery of a new software!
- is there a way to merge a vertex with another one?

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Magnus Forsberg - 2016-03-06

Yes, same as in LPC. Click on Ctrl + E.

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-06

Ah - yes, now I see it in under the merge/split button.
Other question: is there a way to modify visibility of lines? I'd like to:
- be able to hide triangle/quads sides
- show all condlines (without control points except if selected)

Another wish: be able to close a file, in order to allow to modify it externally. At the moment it seems you need to close LDPE, and since its startup is rather lengthy...

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Gerald Lasser - 2016-03-06

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Other question: is there a way to modify visibility of lines? I'd like to:
- be able to hide triangle/quads sides
- show all condlines (without control points except if selected)

Another wish: be able to close a file, in order to allow to modify it externally. At the moment it seems you need to close LDPE, and since its startup is rather lengthy...

Philo, you need to play around with the right mouse-button in the 3D view :-)
Have a look at the "View Actions" and the "Render Mode" settings, those offer a lot of possibilities:

ad 1: I am not sure if this is what you meant, but you can un-tick "View Actions" -> "Mesh Lines"

ad 2: Use "Render Mode" -> "Special Con. Line Mode" you will see all the Cond Line as you wish.

ad 3: I tried the following:
- Open the project and open a file in 3D view
- Open the file also in LDDP
- Add a line in LDDP (and save)
- Open the File in the LDPE Text Editor
-> New line is now visible in 3D View as well
- make changes again in LDDP (and try to save, this will nownot work)
- Close the file in the LDPE Text Editor
- make changes again in LDDP (and try to save, this time it works)
- you can open it in LDPE Text Editor again and you see the changes there

unfortunately youget no prompt in LDPE if therre were external changes but it looks you can do it as long as the file is closed in the Text Editor of LDPE.

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-07

Gerald Lasser Wrote:Philo, you need to play around with the right mouse-button in the 3D view :-)
Clealy yes... I knew I had seen something somewhere but couldn't find it again when needed Wink
Quote:ad 1: I am not sure if this is what you meant, but you can un-tick "View Actions" -> "Mesh Lines"
Exactly that, thanks!

Quote:ad 2: Use "Render Mode" -> "Special Con. Line Mode" you will see all the Cond Line as you wish.
Spot on too. I had some trouble figuring out the meaning of orange/purple condlines, as far as I can tell condlines are are orange in the beginning and become purple when triggered after rotation of the model. Condlines between coplanar elements stay orange.

Quote:ad 3: I tried the following:
- Open the project and open a file in 3D view... (snip)
Mmhhh... behaviour is not completely clear. Today I was able to edit the same file with LDDP and LDPE (3d+text). Then I saved LDDP version (seems that file was not locked today, why was it last time I tried that?). No message from LDPE. Modified file in LDPE and tried to save. THEN I got a message telling that the file was modified externally!

Otherwise I am still completely hermetic to LDDP project logic. I guess it will come with time (and documentation?) but LDDP managed to erase the .dat file I saved yesterday Sad - and yes, I saved it, its name is still in my LDView history. Hate that.

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-07

More questions and suggestions...
- is it possible to add a part or subpart from current project (or from library!) in a more user friendly way than typing the whole LDraw line in text editor?
- Usage of really precise calculations is great, but some 60 or more digits render text editor completely illegible. Of course rounding is not an option because all benefit would be lost... but perhaps numbers could be _displayed_ with some rounding?
- Speaking of rounding, is there a way to define rounding tool precision?

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Gerald Lasser - 2016-03-07

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:- is it possible to add a part or subpart from current project (or from library!) in a more user friendly way than typing the whole LDraw line in text editor?
I don't know of another possibility

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:- Usage of really precise calculations is great, but some 60 or more digits render text editor completely illegible. Of course rounding is not an option because all benefit would be lost... but perhaps numbers could be _displayed_ with some rounding?
I mentioned this before, but I did not see an issue created by Nils here: https://github.com/nilsschmidt1337/ldparteditor/issues

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:- Speaking of rounding, is there a way to define rounding tool precision?
In the Text Editor hold [Ctrl] and click the rounding Menu Button. You can choose now.
I would prefer if I can go to 6 in the coordinate precision as well as sometimes 4 is not enough while you are building a part.

Re: Manipulator icons in a toolbar, instead of drop-down?! - Nils Schmidt - 2016-03-07

The GUI framework offers something what is called a "CoolBar" class. All toolbars located within the coolbar container can be rearranged with the mouse and some drag & drop. However, the coolbar component is rather faulty at the moment, so I don't implement it yet. I will investigate further...

[LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Announcement / More answers... - Nils Schmidt - 2016-03-07

First things first: I will publish version 0.8.5 Beta tonight (5 new features + 8 bug fixes).

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:- is it possible to add a part or subpart from current project (or from library!) in a more user friendly way than typing the whole LDraw line in text editor?
No, not yet. I created a ticket for this enhancement.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:- Usage of really precise calculations is great, but some 60 or more digits render text editor completely illegible. Of course rounding is not an option because all benefit would be lost... but perhaps numbers could be _displayed_ with some rounding?
There is no trivial solution to this. LDPE can't simply display the number with some roundings. To clarify this, I have to give you more information on how LDPE works:
  • The data representation is an exact object model of the part file
  • Each line of the part file is an immutable object
  • The 3D editor and the text editor are synchronised by default (with a little delay to reduce the CPU workload; synchronisation costs are high)
Every time, you edit a line in the text editor (or 3 lines, 1.000 lines, it doesn't matter)
  • All the old line data gets deleted.
  • The edited line will be parsed in realtime...
  • ...with instant error detection...
  • ...and a single new object is generated for this line...
  • The new line is then linked to the object structure.
Which means that all information from the old object is lost.
The whole process is unfortunately a lot more complex!

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:- Speaking of rounding, is there a way to define rounding tool precision?
Just hold CTRL and press the rounding button to customise the settings.