LDraw.org Discussion Forums
[LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Author Tools (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released (/thread-18260.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Willy Tschager - 2016-03-02

Feature request:

* Copy, Paste, Cut, in right-click contextual menu in the text and 3D editor
* It's still hard to spot when a button is pressed so making the light blue a bit darker would help
* I'm somehow lost on the project, dat-file loading saving, save the new file thing. Any help is appreciated
* Have an equivalent of the "Show selection in 3D View" button in the 3D editor. The "Show selection in Text Editor" is too many clicks/howerings away
* A button the restore the default settings for the coarse, middle, fine grid in the snapping tap
* Inliner in 3D editor

w.

PS. THIS IS A GREAT PIECE OF CODE!

Re: [LDPartEditor] New Features for the 0.8.5 Beta Release - Gerald Lasser - 2016-03-03

Thanks for fixing the cursor-error. Saves me some cursing... :-)

One note, when I want to start a new project and I use the "New Project" button, LDPE tells me the file/directory already exists. What I do then is I create the directory structure manually (e.g. 22888/P, 22888/Parts, etc) and use the "Open Project" button.

Did anybody else experience this?

Regarding Rounding:

While I noticed that 3 decimals for the position are sometimes not enough, I usually work with 5 or 6 when having to cut into curved parts. LDPE sometimes, when rotating, is extending the decimals up to 20+ or so (well above 10) which, in my opinion are not really necessary, would it be possible to limit those decimals either hard-coded or, alternatively have a setting in the rounding-dialog box to chose an automatic rounding when operations in the 3D view are done?

Regarding the Built-In Rectifier:

To my shame I only used it the first time last week. I was not aware that it transforms quads into rect-prims..., but, very useful.
I have some cases when I select the lines and quads I want to combine, the rectifier does not do it.
e.g. this is a snippet of code which it does not like
Code:
2 24 37.930301 4 -30.301603 36.033784 4 -26.786536
2 24 36.0338 8 -26.7865 37.9303 8 -30.3016
4 16 36.033784 4 -26.786536 36.0338 8 -26.7865 37.9303 8 -30.3016 37.930329 4 -30.301603
There are differences after the 5th decimal (I know, I use up to 5 or 6 as well), may be the Rectifier could prompt such cases or in the dialogue I can select the accuracy (currently only degrees can be changed)

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-03

Quote:PS. THIS IS A GREAT PIECE OF CODE!
I guess it is, but... tried again to use it, and feel like a cow in front of a smartphone. Is there somewhere a startup tutorial showing how to create a simple part with LDPE?

I have watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_6hx10kwZU but it tells little to me, as we don't see the actions performed.

Philo, feeling dumb and frustrated.

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Willy Tschager - 2016-03-03

Instead of creating a part from scratch I suggest starting with fixing them. You've already a structure to work with and moving, scaling, drawing triangles, quads or condlines comes more natural.

w.

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-03-03

Or get some more parts done from here Wink

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Philippe Hurbain - 2016-03-03

Yes, that's more or less what I did, editing a LDD mesh (minifig snowboard). At least I was able to do a few things. But many remain completely mysterious. Eg. how do I change the orientation of 3D view??? A few things are wonderful, such as building a quad by selecting 4 vertices... but when I tried to do the same thing in a place where I had aligned vertices I was unable to select the correct one. Maybe it would have worked on 3D view, but as said above I was unable to change its orientation...
Finding the primitive you need is also a nightmare on those super tiny thumbnails. I dream of a possibility to switch to text mode instead! Actually that's what I did, slowly moving the mouse one by one on the pesky thumbnails till I found the right description... I noticed that there is a toolbar button saying "insert one subpart (part tree selection)" and briefly hoped that would help, but it seems to do nothing at all?

Philo, feeling a tad less dumb, but even more frustrated...

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Merlijn Wissink - 2016-03-03

Changing the 3d orientation took me a while to figure out too: you can change it by pressing the mouswheel and dragging the mouse.

Other than that, I know very little from LDPE. Wink
I've looked into it a bit, but haven't really done anything with it.

Re: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released - Magnus Forsberg - 2016-03-03

Yes, that was a hard one to find out. Press middle mouse button (scroll wheel) and drag it into position.

I even had to buy a new mouse since my old one had a very hard button.
It hurt my finger tip and it broke down after some weeks intence use.

Willy Tschager Wrote:* Copy, Paste, Cut, in right-click contextual menu in the text and 3D editor
* It's still hard to spot when a button is pressed so making the light blue a bit darker would help
* I'm somehow lost on the project, dat-file loading saving, save the new file thing. Any help is appreciated
* Have an equivalent of the "Show selection in 3D View" button in the 3D editor. The "Show selection in Text Editor" is too many clicks/howerings away
* A button the restore the default settings for the coarse, middle, fine grid in the snapping tap
* Inliner in 3D editor
I agree on all of the above.

I too struggle to understand the file management idea. All I wanna do is inline a file/prim/sub or select code, and make a new subfile. The project manager doesn't seem to recognice any other file or folder outside the official/unofficial parts folder. If I choose to open a part in a folder that is not scanned by LPE, it simply ignores or doesn't find my allready existing, good file structure.

* I'm able to have many files open in the text editor, but how do I switch between them in the 3D editor?
* I want LPE to remember the last visited folder.

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:Changing the 3d orientation took me a while to figure out too: you can change it by pressing the mouswheel and dragging the mouse.

Since it didn't work out for my mouse I assigned a new shortkey. Select the arrow near "Merge/Split... -> Customize shortkeys".
I assigned the blank bar to the "Alternative Right Mouse Bar". Now all I have to do is pressing the blank bar and moving the mouse.

w.

Magnus Forsberg Wrote:* I'm able to have many files open in the text editor, but how do I switch between them in the 3D editor?

Also this was a tough one. Select them in the center parts box on the left side in the 3D window.

w.