LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) (/thread-17514.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2015-10-10

Hello all,

It took over a year since 1.4 Beta 1 but I'm hoping it is worth the wait / time spend.

For those who somehow missed the massive 1.5 Alpha thread on the forum, the major new features of 1.5 are:

Detachable color and part bin windows, of whom you can have multiple instances or none at all.
Extensive (optional) LDraw source window, with full nested editing support and a growing selection of line type property editing dialogs.
LDraw file reloading and external changes detection, and you can finally close files now.
Library part (shadow) editing, mostly intended for myself in order to add part snapping info so it is disabled by default and far from a full LDraw part editing solution.
Compressed (e.g. complete.zip) library support.
Single instance protection.

There are also loads of minor improvements etc, some of which are:
Better scrollbar handling
Bin window(s) can be used at a smaller width.
Part bin windows can render vertical or horizontal orientated.
And many more tweaks and adjustments etc.

I also added almost 600 new part snapping files to the default shadow library including info for doors, windows, windscreens, fences, bars, antenna's, plane parts, boat parts, minifig hats/hair and minifig accessories. Do note some (especially the doors and windows) need some additional work as I'm not sure how they behave/fit in real life any help on that is welcome.

Here are a couple of screen shots showing possible window configurations.

The 1.5 mascot example

An alternative layout

Editing shadow (snap) info

And I will add a new youtube demo clip later, if there is something particular you would want demonstrated feel free to ask.

As always the new version can be found at
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/download

The windows setup version can be used to upgrade any previous version including ones installed by the AIOI.

I will update the documentation on my website to reflect the newest version in the next couple of days / week. For now the only thing you might need to know is how to dock windows. This is done by holding down 'ctrl' after you position the loose window roughly at the place you want it to go.

Lastly there might still be a problem with occasional crashes during closing the program at seemingly random intervals. I have tried a number of things to fix this and I haven't had a crash since the last adjustment myself, but as it might sometimes take days between occurrences I'm not sure it's really fixed.

So if you do have a crash on close down, please send me the contents of the logs folder as I added some extra messages to help pinpoint the crash location. The crash it self is relatively innocent as it will only result in a failure to write/update configuration files as it happens fairly late in the shutdown procedure.

Hope you like the new major version, any feedback / questions / suggestions are welcome.

Re: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Jason Smith - 2015-10-10

I'm loving it so far Roland, thank for all your continued hard work.

I did my usual dark mods to the gui, really enjoying the flexibility with the layout now.

Re: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Owen Dive - 2015-10-11

Nice work.

Here is the layout I find most useful:
[Image: 800x482.jpg]

Once I get sufficiently inspired, I'll make some icons for the toolbar functions that are missing them.

Owen.

Re: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Jason Smith - 2015-10-11

So I imagine if I fire up my second monitor again I should be able to drag all the tools to one side and have a full editor canvass on the other side?

Okay, I'm sure I've missed the answer already somewhere but how do you lock the newly placed windows so they remain on startup. Also would locking that get rid of the top window header with the close button as you can see in my above ss.

EDIT: I have clicked on the "Lock docked Windows" in the GUI menu but it doesn't do anything.

EDIT2: I'm clearly doing something wrong as my main model panel (top right) gets buried and so does my compass.

Re: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Jason McReynolds - 2015-10-11

Jason Smith Wrote:...how do you lock the newly placed windows so they remain on startup.

If I create a new window, docked or just floating, it appears again the next time I open the app. Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing this beta version.

Jason Smith Wrote:Also would locking that get rid of the top window header with the close button as you can see in my above ss.

"Lock docked Windows" just prevents you from dragging the docked windows you have somewhere else, you can still re-size them though. Also, if you dock a window it gets rid of the header bar with the "X" button. I haven't played with it much, but just did some testing and you can see a screenshot of what I threw together for testing. If I close and re-launch, they all come back.

Played with a new install and same thing. I can't get rid of the header on top of the new windows probably because the windows aren't docking or sticking, not sure what they're supposed to do.

3 images attached.

1st - windows setup before closing, 2nd - Opened after closing. 3rd - With model open, you see the compass just peaking out on the bottom left and the upper right panel is hidden under the parts window.

Re: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Jason McReynolds - 2015-10-11

Jason Smith Wrote:Played with a new install and same thing. I can't get rid of the header on top of the new windows probably because the windows aren't docking or sticking, not sure what they're supposed to do.

3rd - With model open, you see the compass just peaking out on the bottom left and the upper right panel is hidden under the parts window.

Based on your screenshots, your windows aren't actually docked, they are just floating, and if they are floating they will cover up the compass and the session panel. If you want the compass and the session panel to be visible, you'll have to dock the windows and that will "push" them out. To dock a window, get it close to a side where you want it and then hover the mouse over it, press ctrl and then left-click and drag it to the side you want to dock it to (FYI, this is mentioned in the first post by Roland Smile). That should dock it and get the header out of the way. It will also push the compass and the session panel into view.

Jason Smith Wrote:1st - windows setup before closing, 2nd - Opened after closing.

As far a why it's not saving the layout, I don't know. I set mine up just like your screenshot and when I closed and then re-opened it they were all still there and in the same/correct positions. For information, I'm running this on Windows 10.

Re: LDCad 1.5 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Owen Dive - 2015-10-11

Those windows aren't docked: they're still floating, but you've resized them to look as though they're docked.
To dock a window, hold down CTRL while you're placing it.
When they're docked, they won't cover up the compass etc.

I can't speak for the repositioning on startup though. But that problem should fix itself once the windows are docked properly.

Owen.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch, it would seem.

Thank you Jason, the control method worked and I'm a fool for not reading it in the first post. The windows also persisted when opened again so I guess they must need to be docked to remain in position. Wow, all this cause I didn't read a line... Sad To be newbie friendly I vote for a simple right click dock option.

I'm having a lit bit of trouble placing a couple side by side, they just want to go full width, I'll keep playing.

Thank you as well Owen.