LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw (/thread-16642.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Jaco van der Molen - 2015-06-12

Hi all,

I have this model in LDD that has 3549 parts.
When I export to LDraw the model has 3475 parts.
So, I am missing 74 parts.

I am using the latest ldraw.xml file.

Some of the missing parts I can identify visually because I know they are supposed to be in the model looking at it in LDD and MLCad. Like part 15068 (Slope Brick Curved 2 x 2 x 0.667) which is in the LDraw libray and has the same partnumber in LDD. But it is not in the ldraw.xml file, so it does not export.

I found out that part 15254 (Arch 1 x 6 x 2) was missing and needed to be converted to 3307 which I did adjusting the ldraw.xml file, because it was already in there but needed the LDraw partnumber. This needly exported.

Still there are pieces missing that probably have different numbers etc. but are "hidden" inside the model so I cannot identify them visually.

My questions are:
1. How do I know or find out what parts do not convert to LDraw?
2. How to add them to ldraw.xml or adjust it so LDD exports the part to LDraw

I see there is lots of work to be done on ldraw.xml, so perhaps I can help a bit there.

Thanks!

Jaco

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Rolf Osterthun - 2015-06-12

Hey Jaco,

quiet some time ago, I wrote a converter, that could convert LDD files (lxfml or lxf) to LDraw compatible files. It also uses the ldraw.xml file. The converter generates a detailed log file (e.g. which file is missing).

Unfortunately, it can only handle LDD files of a previous version (file format version 4). I did not found the time to implement the current LDD file format (5), yet.

But: You can export your model with the LDD into the older file format and send that export through the converter. You can find more detailed information on this website: http://digital-bricks.de/en/index.php?site=konv-uersicht

Rolf

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Jaco van der Molen - 2015-06-12

Hi Rolf,

This looks very good.
Only the latest ldraw.xml file does not seem to work, nor does the one that comes with the latest version of LDD.

Open C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\ldraw - kopie.xml.
Read mappings...
Multible definitions for the Material 143. The first [41] will be used!
Multible definitions for the Transformation 30237.dat. The first will be used!
Multible definitions for the Brick 61252. The first [6019.dat] will be used!
Multible definitions for the Transformation 6019.dat. The first will be used!
Multible definitions for the Transformation 41855.dat. The first will be used!
An FATAL Error occured: De gegeven sleutel is niet aanwezig in het woordenboek.
bij System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
bij System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
bij ldd2ldraw.Ldd2Ldraw.ReadMappings(String file)
bij ldd2ldraw.Ldd2Ldraw.DoConvert()
bij LDD2LDrawAddOn.LDD2LDrawAddOn.buttonConvert_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

The one you provide with you program does not convert alle parts either, but it does what I'd like.
Is there a way to find out what's wrong with ldraw.xml?

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Mario Pascucci - 2015-06-12

Hi Jaco.

You can use BrickUtils, that imports both LDraw and LDD projects and can do some work with lists:
- import your LDraw project and save as a "generic lot" in "My sets"
- import your LDD project and do a "Can build" check against LDraw project lot of bricks
- BrickUtils will show you a list of "missing parts" that you can export in many flavors: HTML, Bricklink Wanted list (and with internal template engine you can define any format you want).

Mario

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Magnus Forsberg - 2015-06-12

The latest version of ldraw.xml is allways kept at Gallaghersart.com, but it's been a while since the last update.
Current version is 4.40, based on LDD 4.3.8 brick version 1265
Which one are you using?

Some weeks ago I made a translation for the 15068

my self Wrote:add these lines somewere in your copy of ldraw.xml

<!-- Slope, Curved 2 x 2 No Studs 15068, translation created by MagFors -->
<Transformation ldraw="15068.dat" tx="-.4" ty=".32" tz="-.4" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" angle="4.712389"/>

I haven't seen any update of ldraw.xml following the latest update of LDD into 4.3.8 brick version 1564.2

Personally I don't know of any other method than "Trial and error" for finding out the correct translation code for a missing brick.
I don't know if Mike is still working on improving the current ldraw.xml, but I would love to see a continued development of the file.

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Rolf Osterthun - 2015-06-12

Hey Jaco,

as far as I remember, there were two issues with the ldraw.xml files:
The
Code:
<Brick ldraw="XXXXX.dat" lego="XXXXX" />
tags and the
Code:
<Assembly>[...]</Assembly>
tags with content. If you delete them the ldraw.xml should work.

Rolf

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Jaco van der Molen - 2015-06-13

Rolf Osterthun Wrote:as far as I remember, there were two issues with the ldraw.xml files:
The
Code:
tags and the
Code:
<Assembly>[...]</Assembly>
tags with content. If you delete them the ldraw.xml should work.
And by that you mean only the <Brick ldraw="XXXXX.dat" lego="XXXXX" /> entries? The ones with XXXX.

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Jaco van der Molen - 2015-06-13

OK, thanks all. I'm taking a look at Brickutils.
Importing the LDraw file It gives me an error.

Reason: java.sql.SQLException: Internal error: duplicated part mapping in database
3069||3069bp0c.dat - Tile 1 x 2 with Letter and Seal Pattern.

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Willy Tschager - 2015-06-13

Magnus Forsberg Wrote:I haven't seen any update of ldraw.xml following the latest update of LDD into 4.3.8 brick version 1564.2

Personally I don't know of any other method than "Trial and error" for finding out the correct translation code for a missing brick.
I don't know if Mike is still working on improving the current ldraw.xml, but I would love to see a continued development of the file.

Nothing hinders you uploading the content of the ldraw.xml file to the wiki and maintain it there.

There is also Mike Heidemann's LDDMaker he has written for us some years ago, when we were adding translations for LU. Since the download is no longer available on Mike's site I uploaded my copy to my webspace:

http://www.holly-wood.it/tmp/LDDMaker.zip

It eases the process a lot.

w.

Re: Find out what parts in LDD convert tot LDraw - Rolf Osterthun - 2015-06-13

Hey Jaco,

Jaco van der Molen Wrote:And by that you mean only the <Brick ldraw="XXXXX.dat" lego="XXXXX" /> entries? The ones with XXXX.

Yes. In the 'working only' version of the last ldraw.xml file from Gallaghersart there are 5 lines that look exactly like this one:
Code:
If you remove them, the file is working. I attached the file witout these lines (remove the .txt).

Rolf