LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Administrative (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? (/thread-1639.html)

Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Orion Pobursky - 2011-11-29

I think I'd like to add an off topic forum. I sometimes have technical question that aren't necessarily LDraw related that I know a lot of the regulars here can answer. It would at worst save me a frustration Google search. Of course any off topic forum will be heavily moderated and flame wars, etc... would be ruthlessly terminated.

Re: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Tim Gould - 2011-11-29

I agree. It's also nice to allow the community to have somewhere to discuss things without worrying about relavence.

Tim

yes and no - Steffen - 2011-11-29

I always like to hear something off-topic.
We have a nice community and lots of curious people, so it is not unlikely that the same things interest us.
However, we should not start the 1000th C++ help forum etc.,
but I guess this anyway is not what you suggested, so let's try what happens :-)

Re: yes and no - Roland Melkert - 2011-11-29

C++ (if relevant to some LDraw program, e.g. "how do I parse type 1 lines?") should be in a development section.

Everything not relevant to any other section could be put in the off topic section like "Did you see that Lego Christmas tree in London?"

my 2cents

Re: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Jude Parrill - 2011-12-11

Maybe this is a silly question, but why is there no "General LEGO" forum for people to talk about LEGO sets? Given this is a site based around modeling a particular company's toys, you'd think there would be some interest in actually discussing said toys.

I don't know, maybe I'm way off on this.

Re: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Chris Dee - 2011-12-11

I think there are plenty of other fora for those discussions, and I don't believe they need to be duplicated here.

Re: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Jim DeVona - 2011-12-11

I think that'd be fine in the "Off Topic" forum - LEGO related discussion that's not LDraw-specific.

Re: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Jude Parrill - 2011-12-11

So discussing LEGO on a site dedicated to modeling LEGO parts is considered "off-topic"?
[Image: picard1.jpg]

Re: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-11

Nope. The Off-Topic forum is a free-for-all (subject to the LDraw Forum Usage Guidelines of course).

Re: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Jim DeVona - 2011-12-12

I post LEGO-related stuff in the off topic forum, so I thought you might like to, too. Confusedhrug:

I just figured "off topic" meant "anything", including LEGO stuff that doesn't fit neatly into the other existing forum categories.

Re: Any desire for an "Off Topic" forum? - Orion Pobursky - 2011-12-12

Jim DeVona Wrote:I just figured "off topic" meant "anything", including LEGO stuff that doesn't fit neatly into the other existing forum categories.

Just to reiterate, the above is absolutely true. Off-topic does mean anything (within the constraints of the Usage Guidelines).