LDraw.org Discussion Forums
2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw.org Announcements (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-1.html)
+--- Thread: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers (/thread-15861.html)

2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Willy Tschager - 2015-03-14

This is the official call for volunteers on the LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB).

The LSB is responsible for maintaining semi-regular internal discussions on pending file format issues, the overall progress of the LDraw file format and new or proposed developments made by different LDraw-based software authors. They adopt new official standards by voting on them, and publish documentation on LDraw.org following such a decision. The LSC has documented and will document past, current and future LDraw File Formats.

With revision 1.5 of the LSC Charter the number of seats is restricted to 4 since one seat is reserved for a current LDraw Library Administrator.

Most urging issues are:
  • LDraw File Format 2.0 (Discussions here and here)
  • Standard for a connection database (Discussion here)
  • Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions (Discussion here)

To ensure only competent, dedicated, and active contributors are eligible to become members of the LSB, they shall have met one or more of the following requirements for nomination:
  • Authored at least two LDraw parts subsequently released in an Official LDraw.org Parts Update
  • Served as a reviewer on the Parts Tracker through at least 2 official parts updates, and posted at least 5 reviews in at least two updates since their initial participation
  • Released a still available software program that is compliant with either the LDraw 1.0.0 spec or another spec published by the LSB
  • Petition for nomination as an LSB candidate approved by 2 current LSB members
  • Petition for nomination as an LSB candidate made to the LSB by at least 5 others eligible to be LSB candidates

This Call will close at 11:59 PM GMT on 31 March 2015. The LDraw Steering Committee will appoint the new LSB members in the following days.

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee

Re: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Travis Cobbs - 2015-03-20

As a long-time member of the old LDraw Standards Committee, I would be happy to join the LSB. Having said that, I don't feel that the current committee (myself very much included) have been doing a good job lately. The last post to the Standards Committee forum here on forums.ldraw.org was almost 2 years ago. So I think that if there are other people that are qualified and more gung-ho to get things done, the community would be better served with them on the LSB.

Re: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Willy Tschager - 2015-03-20

Travis Cobbs Wrote:if there are other people that are qualified and more gung-ho to get things done

Well, so far it looks like you'll have to run the show by yourself.

w.

Re: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Roland Melkert - 2015-03-20

I too be happy to remain in the LDraw standards business by joining the LSB if needed.

I do share Travis concerns, but it is not like we are doing nothing. It's just most new ideas / suggestions are discussed outside the LSC board these days. And most of those seem to die out in a couple of days due to lack of interest and or people wanting completely different things which are just not compatible with the current format.

Re: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Ben Supnik - 2015-03-22

Roland Melkert Wrote:I do share Travis concerns, but it is not like we are doing nothing. It's just most new ideas / suggestions are discussed outside the LSC board these days. And most of those seem to die out in a couple of days due to lack of interest and or people wanting completely different things which are just not compatible with the current format.

I'd like to see a setup where the LSC can act as "editors" for ideas that come from outside the LSC.
- Non-LSC authors who want to propose a standard should be willing to accept edits - "take it or leave it" makes the LSC moot.
- The non-LSC author could do some of the leg work of spec editing based on LSC input and requested changes.
- It would be useful for non-LSC developers like myself and Roland to be able to get guidance from the LSC ahead of time.

For example, there are two basic ideas for LODs: !META commands inside a part to specify sub-meshes, and a file-path scheme like /48. Each time one is discussed, someone goes "well, how about the other?"

I would like to be able to go to the LSC and say "pick one general strategy" and then I can go write a spec, knowing that the spec will be edited and improved, but not outright rejected because I picked door A when door B was what the LSC wanted in the first place.

My 0.02!

cheers
Ben

Re: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Orion Pobursky - 2015-03-23

Nothing is stopping the LSB from doing anything you just laid out. If you want it that way, volunteer! I, for one, would push for your appointment since you seem to have the most energy for the spec right now.

Re: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Chris Dee - 2015-03-28

with me!

Re: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Mario Pascucci - 2015-03-28

*aehm*

I would like to give my humble contribution to the LDraw community.

I'm not sure to meet the requirements about LSB membership application, but I'm here.

Mario

Re: 2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers - Travis Cobbs - 2015-03-29

As the author of JBrickBuilder, you qualify due to:

Quote:
  • Released a still available software program that is compliant with either the LDraw 1.0.0 spec or another spec published by the LSB