LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req (/thread-15644.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Roland Melkert - 2015-02-22

Made some real progress this weekend so I would like to post some previews in order to gather some feedback.

Main reason for this is me not being completely sure on the details / behavior of the new LDraw source code window. So any suggestions / feedback on that would be very much appreciated.

Here's a screen shot of the 1.5 gui while using undocked windows and the new source window.

And here's one with everything docked (notice the second part bin).

The source window is read only at the moment but in the very least I want it to be able to control selections. And maybe manage third party meta's (e.g. LPUB)?

Any thoughts?

Re: LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Richard Speyer - 2015-02-23

Looking good.
I think it would be good to highlight any selected parts in the source code window.
If we can't directly edit in the source window, maybe the option to open the "properties" dialog for a part line.
If I put multiple part bins, are the tabs the same or independent?

Re: LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Roland Melkert - 2015-02-23

Quote:Looking good.
Thanks

Quote:I think it would be good to highlight any selected parts in the source code window.

The source window will highlight the selection, I'm just not sure how to handle lines which can't be selected in the 3D view (step meta etc) as things can get messy from basically having two different selection sets.

Quote:If we can't directly edit in the source window, maybe the option to open the "properties" dialog for a part line.

As for the property dialogs I'm thinking to ether add some new ones for third party meta's and fallback to a simple single text line input for unknown content.

Quote:If I put multiple part bins, are the tabs the same or independent?

Every part bin window has it's own view / state io etc, this goes for all dockable windows. There's also no limit on the amount you can have open of the same kind (incl none).

Re: LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Merlijn Wissink - 2015-02-23

Looks great! I especially like the source window (although the 2nd parts-bin also looks useful).

Regarding the source window, I'd like it to behave a bit like in MLCad. When I make instructions, I build the model in LDCad and then I open it in MLCad to reorganize all steps. Because, with such a source window, it's easy to see the order of the parts and being able to move whole steps back and forth. I'd really like that, being able to move the order of the parts directly in the source window.

Re: LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-02-23

Looks good indeed, but I can feel your pain about coherency between text and 3DView. I guess that the worse is for metas that are somehow linked to following parts such as BFC INVERTNEXT (not so annoying here since you don't make a parts editor) or GROUP metas.
Quote:I'm just not sure how to handle lines which can't be selected in the 3D view
I feel that text view selection is a superset of 3D view selection, as you can add more things to selection in text (but not the opposite).
As one of the purpose of text view is to manage stepping, I think it would be nice to somehow highlight in text view the current step as shown in 3D (and update that field in 3D view if more 0 STEP are added or deleted in text). Another concern is ROTSTEP meta - how to make this convenient?

The detachable bins look great too - Beeing able to overlap them partially to keep consumed screen area down looks interesting (but needs to be tested to see if it's pactical Wink

Re: LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Trevor Sandy - 2015-02-23

Very nice!

Do you plan to enable cut and paste within the source window and 3D 'reload' from source in the 1.5 roadmap?

The ability to manage source (i.e. cut and paste step and subfile content) is very useful - especilly when preparing for instructions generation.

Re: LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Willy Tschager - 2015-02-23

Will the color of filetype/position/matrix be changeable via the Prefs? How about the font size?

w.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Looks good indeed, but I can feel your pain about coherency between text and 3DView. I guess that the worse is for metas that are somehow linked to following parts such as BFC INVERTNEXT (not so annoying here since you don't make a parts editor) or GROUP metas.
Yes, and the fun thing about the LDCad group next meta's is they currently only get moved / added to the correct place at save time. So I'm thinking to just remove/hide them from the source window all together as they aren't interesting during editing anyhow.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:I feel that text view selection is a superset of 3D view selection, as you can add more things to selection in text (but not the opposite).
Indeed, and I'm also wondering about the fact I keep track of the selection 'click order' in the 3D view while you probably want line order in the source window.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Another concern is ROTSTEP meta - how to make this convenient?
I'm currently not really familiar with LPUB but adding parse level awareness support for it shouldn't be a big problem. Maybe even apply that rotation information in a new special part bin building group or something.

Willy Tschager Wrote:Will the color of filetype/position/matrix be changeable via the Prefs? How about the font size?
Current colors font size etc are more or less placeholders as I just needed some basics in order to test the underlying OpenGL mass text renderer I've been mostly working on for this source window.

Also a full GUI color / font editor /manager is on my 1.5 feature list, although it probably be in beta 2 at the earliest. Alternative will always be editing the config files as all colors and font sizes etc are the main.gui file.

Re: LDCad 1.5 progress / opinions req - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-02-25

Roland Melkert Wrote:Yes, and the fun thing about the LDCad group next meta's is they currently only get moved / added to the correct place at save time. So I'm thinking to just remove/hide them from the source window all together as they aren't interesting during editing anyhow.
It makes (a lot of) sense!

Speaking of groups, I have encountered situations where I needed to change orientation or position of a part within a group. Maybe I missed something, but I found no other way but ungrouping to make the modification. What about a "nested mode for groups" or at least possibility to remove from group the part which was used to select group?

Quote:I'm currently not really familiar with LPUB but adding parse level awareness support for it shouldn't be a big problem. Maybe even apply that rotation information in a new special part bin building group or something.
Strictly speaking ROTSTEP is not a LPUB command but a very old meta (I believe it was introduced by LDlite, and further extended by MLCad - See www.lm-software.com/mlcad/Specification_V2.0.pdf ) to set orientation of a model in view mode. So I guess it might be interesting to support it in LDCad view mode?