LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) (/thread-15371.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Merlijn Wissink - 2015-03-13

Owen Dive Wrote:[...]
* In the Manual Movement/Rotation boxes (and presumably in other dialogs as well), it would be nice if the Enter key was bound to the Apply button so that I didn't have to tab several times to get the button in focus or use the mouse to close the dialog.
[...]

I second this. It's very annoying when I manually input some rotation/transformation data using the numpad and then hitting enter automaticly. Instead of applying the new data it just closes the dialog without doing anything.
It's especially annoying because I'm constantly hitting enter automaticly without even thinking about that I shouldn't do that Wink

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-03-13

Probably no need to third, but... I agree!

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Michael Heidemann - 2015-03-13

I am the fourth Smile

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2015-03-13

Owen Dive Wrote:I've finally found the time to have a go with LDCad. It certainly has come a long way since I tried to break it by loading calc.ldr in the 1.0 public alpfa release!
Hi Owen, been a long time indeed.

Owen Dive Wrote:* In the Manual Movement/Rotation boxes (and presumably in other dialogs as well), it would be nice if the Enter key was bound to the Apply button so that I didn't have to tab several times to get the button in focus or use the mouse to close the dialog.
* Somewhat similarly, the Reference/Selection properties (the one that comes up when you hit Enter with a selection) looks like the Apply button is the default action, but hitting Enter closes the dialog without applying any changes.
You are right I will setup default actions for all dialogs in the next version.

Owen Dive Wrote:* In the parts bin, it would be really nice to have some visual indicator of which items are parts (that I can put into my model) and which are groups of (possibly other groups of) parts.
I like this idea, maybe I'll add some small icon to group cells as I'm already planning to add some other indications to the bin cells anyway. Might not be in the first 1.5 beta though, but maybe the second or so.

Owen Dive Wrote:Seriously, almost every time I've thought "this program really needs Feature X", I find that Feature X is there after all - I was either looking in the wrong place, or I hadn't understood what the option did.
I'm working on documentation, added basic editing last week so the more hidden features will be next. But if you have any thoughts on how to improve the accessibility of those features let me know. The menu structures aren't set in stone and it's also possible to have certain items at multiple places which might help.

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-03-20

Another little (?) wish: Double clicking on a part in parts bin currently replaces selected part. Good thing... But I'd like (when no part is selected) this double click to create a new part placed and oriented like the last selected one. This would help with parts with no connectivity, we would start in a known place then use move/rotate tools. Dragging a new part from parts bin is not so convenient, especially when using a fine grid. On a new model/submodel (thus with no previous part selected) the new part would be created at origin with default orientation.
And probably pressing insert while hovering over parts bin should do the same as double click.

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2015-03-20

I like the ins key suggestion.

Inserting parts without something selected isn't a big deal I'm just a bit concerned the less experienced user might end up with lots of duplicate parts at the same location. So I'll add it as an option disabled by default.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-03-20

Quote:So I'll add it as an option disabled by default
Seems wise!

Re: LDCad 1.4b Documentation - Roland Melkert - 2015-03-22

I've added a technical section which, over time, will contain info about all configuration files and LDCad specific LDraw meta's.

Starting with the color bin configuration files.

I also changed the general layout of the site and merged / split / moved some content around.

If anyone would like to see a particular config file or meta explained before the others let me know as it could take awhile for me to document everything Smile

Re: LDCad 1.4b Documentation - Roland Melkert - 2015-03-25

Found some time to finish the technical info about

part bin configuration files

It documents everything about the *.pbg files including things never used in the default part bin groups. Things which as a result of that might not have been fully tested yet.

Re: LDCad 1.4b Documentation - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-03-26

Found a bit of time for some more reading... Mainly trivial typos but... (as I am not a native English speaker either, I can be wrong sometimes... or I may have let things get through!)

- In Bins preparation, shouldn't "(e.g. Technic of Creative)" be rather "(e.g. Technic or Creator)"?

- End of Camera control: " it is therefor possible to set rotation control to the more a beginner friendly spin method " -> "it is therefore possible to set rotation control to the more beginner friendly spin method" and "But please don't give up to quickly" -> "But please don't give up too quickly"

- Start of Editing Compass: "ignored the briefly discusses compass in the left bottom corner." -> "ignored the briefly discussed compass in the left bottom corner." . Later on: "as a result of the grid using to large a step." -> "as a result of the grid using too large a step.". At the end: "and is therefor one of the most important things during editing." -> "and is therefore one of the most important things during editing."

- Building using parts snapping: "You might wonder way I wasted your time" -> "You might wonder why I wasted your time". Then "is set to manual (MEP) while part editing is enabled" -> "is set to manual (MEP) while part snapping is enabled" (I guess?). "as it large influence how LDCad tries to 'guess' part " -> "as it has a large influence on how LDCad tries to 'guess' part" (I guess too?). "While adding bricks you willt need to rotate parts" -> "While adding bricks you will need to rotate parts". "(as long things are at 90 deg angels." -> "(as long as things are at 90 deg angles).". " select the first angles brick again." -> "select the first angled brick again." "being it's rectangular in relation to the angles brick." -> "being it's rectangular in relation to the angled brick."

- Conclusion: "get more and more use to things" -> "get more and more used to things". Then "most out of the LDraw format. Things step editing, using submodels (MPD) and flexible parts." -> most out of the LDraw format, like step editing, using submodels (MPD) and flexible parts." (?)