LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) (/thread-15371.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2015-02-25

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Is there a way in LDCad to get the angle you must rotate a part with some offset between ends (typically a shock absorber in a suspension)? Nothing fancy of course since it is simply (**) arcsin(offset/length)
I usually put a tmp axle or something somewhere in a streight line from the rest position and dest position. And then use those combined with the base of the spring. After the rotation you can use ''o' to move the shock's length by the difference in length (blue info labels minus the starting length). I'll add a selection info mode for getting that difference in the next version.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:it would be nice to display (in selection property) the angle of a part (selection) in working plane
I'm not sure what you mean, to get any angle you need a reference which is usually at least two vectors. The selection info uses the two sides of the triangle for that but I don't have that info with editing plane orientations.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:What about having a stepless rotation mode with part snapping enabled?
I wanted to write it's allready there but for some reason disabling the grid still applies stepping to rotations. I'll correct that in the next version.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Shock length is 110 ldu, offset is 20ldu, giving an angle of 10.47°. I select the shock, press O to get local orientation, then enter value in rotation tool. Visually, it's too far away, and when I check the angle using selection info, I read 13.18°. What happens???
Is/was selection info set to be relative to the editing plane? You could get slightly wrong values if it's not as it measure the angles of the selection 'triangle' otherwise.

Could you post (or email me) the model in it's current state so I can see exactly what you are trying to do.

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-02-25

Mmhhhh... "e" seems to do nothing - or I don't use that properly. Does pressing "e" change something in the way selection is displayed? Anyway I still get the crash.
Quote:I'll try to reproduce it and fix it for the next version.
Very easy, just a part and a shock absorber is enough.

Sorry it seems exclusion is also somewhat broken combined with spring templates. It currently only seems to work when using 'e' while the spring part is selected during nesting.

I might do a 1.4c version for these problems as 1.5 is still far from stable it self Sad

Roland Melkert Wrote:After the rotation you can use ''o' to move the shock's length by the difference in length (blue info labels minus the starting length). I'll add a selection info mode for getting that difference in the next version.
Ah - yes, a good method for a shock absorber. But that wouldn't work for a fixed length part (typical example: links between ball pins).

Quote:I'm not sure what you mean, to get any angle you need a reference which is usually at least two vectors. The selection info uses the two sides of the triangle for that but I don't have that info with editing plane orientations.
OK, what I had in mind is meaningless. Kind of "absolute angle" projected in working plane. The purpose was to be able to rotate a part the same way as another. But I now realize that there is a much simpler way using local axes and ctrl+home...

Quote:Is/was selection info set to be relative to the editing plane? You could get slightly wrong values if it's not as it measure the angles of the selection 'triangle' otherwise.
Could you post (or email me) the model in it's current state so I can see exactly what you are trying to do.
I think I did the things well. At least the rotation window (see screen shot) says "current editing plane rotation". Two things I am sure:rotation angle value is correct, and rotationresult is wrong (regardless of display value, but this value seems right!)

I'll send you the model tomorrow (don't have it here).

I did some quick debugging and it seems both this issue and the grouping one are caused by the auto group(s) in the spring part. you can therefore prevent both issues by ungrouping the spring parts first (ether in their own subfile or through nesting).

Hope that at least lets you do what you originally intended to do.

I think I might know what's going on here.

The selection info angles (while rel to grid) are measured against the imaginary 2D plane of the grid, when the shock starts out in some odd orientation and you gather the sel info in that state you actually measuring it as if the shock was in abs/grid orientation.

If you then change the grid to match the shock in order to do the rotation you will get the wrong result as the angles had the wrong reference.

In short you need to set the grid orientation to the same plane as the segment it most be rotated over. The is usually done by setting the grid to the shocks orientation before getting the angles.

Hope this is somewhat clear.

Quote:In short you need to set the grid orientation to the same plane as the segment it most be rotated over. The is usually done by setting the grid to the shocks orientation before getting the angles.
Mmhhh... I set grid orientation to shock before rotating it, so angle is set (and measured) in the same coordinate frame. And the problem is not a measurement one, but a rotation one, the shock is really rotated by a greater angle than the on calculated.

Quote:Hope that at least lets you do what you originally intended to do.
No problem, I did it another way (removed parts from the submodel that forced me to do nested edition, made the rotation in normal mode, and replaced rotated parts in the submodel).

Very frustrating I'm still not sure what the underlying problem is but I'm reasonably sure it's not a bug in the rotation dialog.

Is this an official model, if so what's its number? I would like to setup that suspension myself later tonight in order to ether find a bug or the reason for this behavior. I'm a sucker for these kinds of puzzles Smile

It's the 42038 Artic truck...