LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) (/thread-15371.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Merlijn Wissink - 2015-02-19

I have a question.
Is it possible to use the rubber band templates to transform the rubber band instead of only making the circle larger or smaller (a bit like how the pneumatic hoses or flex axles can be transformed in LDCad)?
For example, if I want to make a connection between two technic bushes, I need a long, more straight band instead of just a normal circle.

Is that currently possible with LDCad and if so, how exactly?

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2015-02-19

You mean deform like in this picture:

http://www.melkert.net/img/mel/screenShot07.png

If so you just add additional 'circles' for that by selecting an existing one and pressing the ins key. Also keep an eye on the current grid plane (e.g. side view etc).

Yes, exactly like that. For some reason I can't get it to work (although I have the feeling I'm the problem and not LDCad Wink ).

I tried the ins key again (I already tried that, since it's also used for other flexible parts). This time though, something happened instead of just nothing: a 2nd rubber band appeared. Just a normal, standalone rubber band. I tried the ins key again, and the second rubber band started to transform, but the first didn't.

I closed LDCad, opened it again, started a new model, inserted a new rubber band, tried the ins key again, but nothing is appearing, just like before.

Do I have to select a certain part of the rubber band to make it work?

Ins will always insert the last used part / duplicate the selection so you might have not selected a circle last.

Also as the rubber band you drop into your model lives inside it's own ldr, so you must make sure you are editing that model or use the nested editing mode from the top level model.

Nested editing will be the easier way as you keep your whole model in view. You go into nested editing mode by selecting its tab in the top right session label panel.

I know nested editing can be confusing (I've been told Smile )

The pneumatic hose tutorial clip on youtube might give some insight into using nesting mode.

I'm also in the midst of writing documentation about generic (nested) editing.

I'm 100% sure I have the circle rubber band selected.
I've tried both the rubber band ldr and the nested mode.
I've also watched the youtube video ( a few days ago already actually) and unless I'm just being blind, I'm not doing anything wrong.

One thing that just started appearing when I press ins while having the rubber band selected: a little box with the text "click anywhere to insert a new skin meta". Is it maybe that I have accidently turned a setting on/off that causes it to not work (seems unlikely though, since other flex parts are just working)?

I find it really annoying that I can't get it to work. Don't get me wrong, it's not your fault, I just have the feeling that I'm being a bit stupid and completely missing something Wink

Seems you are on the right track as the 'click anywhere...' message can only appear when you are working at the band level.

But apparently you clicked the skin (rubber band itself) last, so you are inserting/duplicating invisible control metas (those control how the rubber band segments are generated).

To change the band shape, you need to duplicate / add control points. Which you do by clicking the red/green/blue crossed center of the white placeholder circles (I thought you mend those when writing 'circle').

edit: talking about stupid I just noticed I connected the pneumatics wrong in that tutorial clip Smile

Ah! I found it. I have to select the center of the cirle, where the 3 little arrows are. I was constantly trying to select the band itself or selecting one of those yellow balls. I was pretty sure though, that I already tried it numerous times by selecting the center.

Well, anyway, I got it working. It's actually even more powerful than I was expecting. You really did a great job on the creation and editing of flexible parts. It's going to save me tons and tons of time! Thanks!

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-02-25

Just got a crash when trying to create a very complex group in nested mode, that included parts from main model, parts from a submodel and (this is probably the source of crash) all parts of a shock absorber, inserted as a template and used twice in the group.
Fortunately I somehow expected problems with this nightmare and saved before Wink

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2015-02-25

Angles, angles everywhere...
- Is there a way in LDCad to get the angle you must rotate a part with some offset between ends (typically a shock absorber in a suspension)? Nothing fancy of course since it is simply (**) arcsin(offset/length)
- it would be nice to display (in selection property) the angle of a part (selection) in working plane
- What about having a stepless rotation mode with part snapping enabled?

(**) Maybe not so simply after all...
Shock length is 110 ldu, offset is 20ldu, giving an angle of 10.47°. I select the shock, press O to get local orientation, then enter value in rotation tool. Visually, it's too far away, and when I check the angle using selection info, I read 13.18°. What happens???

Re: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2015-02-25

You are right it's probably the shock parts as those have slightly different processing when grouping etc. I'll try to reproduce it and fix it for the next version.

In the meantime you can probably avoid the problem by not putting (generated) template parts in groups and instead add their reference. You add the whole shock as one to a group during nesting mode by 'excluding' it. To do that click any of it's parts and click exclude selection from the menu or press 'e'. It will then behave as a single model / part again even during nesting.