LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Authoring (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 (/thread-15285.html)

Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Frank Engel - 2015-01-25

hi there,
as I did not find any .dat-file for this part, I just created my own.
Perhaps somebody needs it. Better than nothing, I guess.
The 91177-02 file should be placed in the .../parts/ directory, and the 97122s* files in .../parts/s/ directory.

This is the first part I ever created and I don't know how to submit it.
If somebody knows how to do this, please give me a hint.

thank you very much,
regards,
frank

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Chris Dee - 2015-01-26

Hi

Welcome as a new author and thanks for making that.

Instructions on how to become a registered part author are shown on the home page of the LDraw Parts Tracker, which is where we manage updates to the official library.

I have just a few comments on these files:

Please note that the Author: line must match the Real Name and User Name registered on this forum, i.e..
0 Author: Frank [lostcontinent]
although we would prefer that you updated your profile to include you full Real Name, so that the author line can look like
0 Author: Frank Engel [lostcontinent]

Please note also that the !LDRAW_ORG line must initially be
0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_Part
or
0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_Subpart
These get given an UPDATE YYYY-NN qualifier, and the 'Unofficial_' removed when they make it into an official parts update.

Comments within the body of part files should really start '0 // ' to avoid confusion with future meta-statements that may later get introduced, using the '0 xxxx' format.

For this

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Max Martin Richter - 2015-02-28

A couple of days ago I had an email exchange with Frank. Amongst other things I created an own version of this curtain and showed it to Frank.
We agreed, that I should upload it to the forum and the community should decide which one should be taken for the library.

/Max

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Max Martin Richter - 2015-03-07

No thoughts at all?

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Gerald Lasser - 2015-03-07

Hi Max,

In my opinion some of the accurracy is too much for this part, some of the vertices have 5 digits trailing the decimal point.

In terms of subparts wouldn't it be sufficient to have only one file without subparts?

Gerald

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Magnus Forsberg - 2015-03-08

Hej Max and Frank,

I prefer the shape of Max part, but I like the colours of Franks part better. The inner sides are curved, not straight.
I like the somewhat random look of it, and the wrap around effect on the thin sides.

To my eye DkBrown is wrong. It's too dark. The use of DkGreen and DkRed is better.

I'm unsure of the fact that all the surfaces in this part is hardcoded. Maybe all the yellow area should be code 16.

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Max Martin Richter - 2015-03-09

Gerald Lasser Wrote:In my opinion some of the accurracy is too much for this part, some of the vertices have 5 digits trailing the decimal point.
Yes, that's due to intersector. I'm a bit unmotivated to change it to 4 decimals right now. But if really wanted, I would do it.
Gerald Lasser Wrote:In terms of subparts wouldn't it be sufficient to have only one file without subparts?
Nope, thats pretty efficient in my eyes. If I would inline all subfile the main file would be about 700 lines, actually we have the files with around 100 lines each... -> 300 compared to 700 lines, makes it worth in my eyes...

/Max

Magnus Forsberg Wrote:I prefer the shape of Max part, but I like the colours of Franks part better. The inner sides are curved, not straight.
I like the somewhat random look of it, and the wrap around effect on the thin sides.
Thanks. ;-)
Magnus Forsberg Wrote:To my eye DkBrown is wrong. It's too dark. The use of DkGreen and DkRed is better.
DkGreen is not used at all on the real part. DkBrown is too dark. I calculated the sum of Red and Green and got DkFlesh as result...
Should I upload it with this colour to the PT?
Magnus Forsberg Wrote:I'm unsure of the fact that all the surfaces in this part is hardcoded. Maybe all the yellow area should be code 16.
The question is, which colour is the main colour? We have 4 colours and all of them are used symetrically. So it could be even red, green, "brown" which should be replaced. And because I'm not sure about this, I decided to hard-colour the whole part.

/Max

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Gerald Lasser - 2015-03-09

Max Martin Richter Wrote:I'm unsure of the fact that all the surfaces in this part is hardcoded. Maybe all the yellow area should be code 16.
The question is, which colour is the main colour? We have 4 colours and all of them are used symetrically. So it could be even red, green, "brown" which should be replaced. And because I'm not sure about this, I decided to hard-colour the whole part.[/quote]

In my opinion the yellow would qualify as col 16 as it is the lightest color, all others are darker. What is the basic color of the cloth? I don't have this part.

I can not define a basic colour - that's the main problem, cause even the thin sides are differently coloured (as modeled).
If needed I can make a scan of this part at the end of the week.

/Max

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Magnus Forsberg - 2015-03-09

IMO, its not enough yellow in DkFlesh, but it's a lot better than DkBrown.
To me this has allways been a yellow cloth with red and green interlaced stripes. I don't think the brown colour is printed. it's a mixture of the red and green stripes.

[Image: picture_14741.jpg]
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/drspock/vwcamper/picture_14741.jpg

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Gerald Lasser - 2015-03-09

I have to agree with Magnus, the yellow looks to be the base in the attached picture. Also with regards to a cost efficient printing process, they would only print red and green stripes, the overlap is no seperate printing.

Re: Part 97122 - curtain for VW Camper 10220 - Max Martin Richter - 2015-03-10

Thats why I used ColourSum with red and green, which results in DkFlesh...

/Max