LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) (/thread-14363.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-12-13

I'm working on documentation but as I'm making some gui changes for 1.5 I decided to wait with it until those are done in order to prevent having to rewrite again.

As for the copy paste options those can be seen as import/export options as it allows some control over the LDraw lines coming in or going out of LDCad.

Copy paste inside LDCad itself should only be really necessary when copying between two models, in almost any other case it is more efficient / easier to use the ins key on the selection to (silently) clone it.

As for those two options:

Quote:the main line is not the first, move it to the top
When selecting parts, the first one selected is the mainline of the selection and acts as it's center point. When copying to the clipboard the resulting LDraw lines are taken in the placement (.ldr/.mpd line) order. This option can be used to force the selection main item to the top of the resulting LDraw list so other software automatically also use that line as the center (it being the first in the text and all).

Quote:there is non zero work orientaion active
LDCad remembers the orientation of the last selection and applies it to new parts so you don't have to rotate e.g. every 2x4 brick to make a wall in a certain direction. But when pasting something this extra rotation is not always wanted therefore you are given the option to override it.

The dialog will only appear if an option is relevant to the current copy/past action and some needed option has currently a yes/no value. So to get rid of the options all together you could set all options to either always or never.

Hope this make things more clear.

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Denis Smirnov - 2014-12-14

Thanks, somehow I missed insert hotkey.

By the way, any plans to implement built-in instruction maker tool? It seems to be almost impossible to work with large technic models in LPub. It would be a nice feature to control instructions formatting directly from LDCad. For example, you can add some parts to a step, then preview the instructions' page and rearange parts/steps if necessary.

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Jason Smith - 2014-12-14

Maybe if there was a way to make a "snapshot" as you progress along side of adding the steps. The steps could auto populate a box and attach to the corresponding snapshot... I have no idea what I'm talking about but have always thought of this approach.

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-12-14

Denis Smirnov Wrote:By the way, any plans to implement built-in instruction maker tool?
Not in the short term, but it will become easier to edit non visual / meta LDraw content in a nearby version as I'm introducing a 'source' window with the upcomming 1.5 version. This will make it at least possible to edit the LPub meta's from within LDCad.

Denis Smirnov Wrote:For example, you can add some parts to a step, then preview the instructions' page and rearange parts/steps if necessary.

Jason Smith Wrote:Maybe if there was a way to make a "snapshot" as you progress along side of adding the steps. The steps could auto populate a box and attach to the corresponding snapshot... I have no idea what I'm talking about but have always thought of this approach.

Alternative might be using the animation/scripting feature of LDCad as I plan to add access to stepping related things to the api. That way it will be (easier, as it's already sort of possible) to create building instruction animation videos.

I'm also thinking about adding a special build mode animation mode, which lets you play a scripted step to step transformation animation (e.g. falling bricks).

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Jason Smith - 2014-12-14

Roland Melkert Wrote:I'm also thinking about adding a special build mode animation mode, which lets you play a scripted step to step transformation animation (e.g. falling bricks).

Unless a person really wants their instructions in print form I think your idea would be excellent. I can see me using that because I usually use digital instructions from a tablet. Would we need to do write the scripts for that just like the animations?

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Jakub Trznadel - 2014-12-14

This seems interesting to me: is there an easy way to figure out from which direction the part shall appear?

Thanks,
Jakub

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-12-14

Jason Smith Wrote:Would we need to do write the scripts for that just like the animations?

I imagine the scripts universally handling the animation transition from step a to b, and thus I'll probably include a couple of simple universal ones which will enable the feature for any model containing steps.

Custom scripts would then only be needed for very complicated models which would need camera rotations and or moving sub assemblies spanning multiple instructions steps or something.

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-12-15

Sorry for late reply, I missed you're post as I was in the process of posting myself Smile

Jakub Trznadel Wrote:This seems interesting to me: is there an easy way to figure out from which direction the part shall appear?

You mean while using a falling bricks step to step animation? I think the easiest way would be to determine the target locations distances to the model's 6 bounding box planes. And let the part 'fall' into the model from the closest side.

Although it might also depend on the theme as with creator etc it's probably ok to always let new things drop in from the top (-y).

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Philippe Hurbain - 2014-12-22

Roland, is there a way to see the !HELP section of a part (or more generally the whole header)?

Re: LDCad 1.4 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-12-22

No currently only the name, author, keyword and category tags are editable/viewable through the model header dialog.

But I'm working on a 'source' window you can optionally dock left/right/top/bottom in the upcoming 1.5 version. It will show all LDraw text content of the current model and it will also be usable for selecting parts.

And depending on time etc it might also allow for editing any LDraw content but I might push that to the next next version.