LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Sails... - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Authoring (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Sails... (/thread-12612.html)

Sails... - Philippe Hurbain - 2014-02-26

I somehow succeeded to create shaped sails. My first try was for the Black Pearl:

Problem is that attachment of sails are slightly different, the sail I created fits only rear top position. It is not very difficult to create the other ones, but should I do that and submit them to PT? If so, what about file name (c0x I guess)/description?

Attached the sail (very rough, single sided, red edges, etc...)

Re: Sails... - Michael Heidemann - 2014-02-26

That looks great and I think it has been a lot of work to get these results.

For the naming I am thinking about this formed parts as for formed stickers, so the right filename would be ...f01.dat

Just my thoughts.

Re: Sails... - Chris Dee - 2014-02-26

Formed stickers currently use ...c01, unless you are suggesting we change those too.

I'm sure the "LDraw as an inventory" users would be keen to see the flat versions submitted too.

Re: Sails... - Philippe Hurbain - 2014-02-26

Chris Dee Wrote:Formed stickers currently use ...c01, unless you are suggesting we change those too.
I was about to look for this "..f01" thing that I didn't remember... Wink
That said, it seems a good idea to introduce this suffix.

Quote:I'm sure the "LDraw as an inventory" users would be keen to see the flat versions submitted too.
No problem for that since I started from a flat version to build the formed one...

Speaking of this: any news about TEXMAP imprementation in library/Parts Tracker? A friend sent me very good scans of patterned Queen Anne sails, and using anything else than TEXMAP would be a daunting task to get them done.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Speaking of this: any news about TEXMAP implementation in library/Parts Tracker? A friend sent me very good scans of patterned Queen Anne sails, and using anything else than TEXMAP would be a daunting task to get them done.

Thanks for the nudge. There are two big enhancements needed to the Parts Tracker a) TEXMAP support and b) ItemID support, moving the Physical_Colour parts out of the main library. Which is most important / useful?

Re: Sails... - Tim Gould - 2014-02-26

I'd argue that texmaps have a _much_ bigger reward.

A re-organisation can occur at any time.

Tim

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
Chris Dee Wrote:Formed stickers currently use ...c01, unless you are suggesting we change those too.
I was about to look for this "..f01" thing that I didn't remember... Wink
That said, it seems a good idea to introduce this suffix.

There would be a small overhead to rename the nine existing official "Formed" stickers and the one official "Formed" canvas part and carry ~Moved to ...c01 files in the library forever.

Using ...f01 instead of ...c01 for formed things (stickers and canvas) - Philippe Hurbain - 2014-02-27

The overhead seem reasonable to me. Any other opinions about this?

Re: Sails... - Chris Dee - 2014-02-27

Tim Gould Wrote:A re-organisation can occur at any time.
True, but I am not releasing any more Physical_Colour parts at the moment and leaving a bunch of certified parts on the Parts Tracker doesn't make the stats look good. It's not just re-organisation; the PT and update production mechanism needs to support a place for them (and possibly a streamlined - or even automated - certification process).