LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) (/thread-12126.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-25

I've played around with the resolution it won't matter even if I a 100 times higher.

Quote:could it be that the length is computed along the curve, rather than in a straight line?

You are right, the problem lies in the fact i calculate the length along the curve (16ldu for the links) while placement visually needs that 16ldu in a straight line, so the sharper the angle the bigger the offset no matter the internal resolution.

I think i need to invent an additional placement kind (similar to dynamic) to solve this for the perfectionists (which includes myself Smile)

Thanks for pointing it out.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-25

I'm glad you are a perfectionist, that means there's a chance to have this fixed Smile

You may want to have a look at this file, and compare the manually-created chain and the LDCad-generated one. Note, too, that the "radius" is not the distance from the center to the top in the manual chain, because no component in placed exactly at the vertical. In fact, the radius is not any nice number, it must be such that 16 LDU define an angle of 30 degrees (12 pieces per full circle), which gives (16/2)/sin(30/2) = 30.9096... if I'm not mistaken. It would be cool to have some kind of automatic calculator that gets the radius correct, given the number of teeth and donor size Wink

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-25

I'll try to improve it (probably using a new skin option), but I'm not sure it will be in Beta 2.

As for the calc tool, it's funny because I just started working on a generic selection info feature.

The first version shows angle and length information for the items in the current selection, cur dev version:

[Image: selInfoPrvView.png]

You could use those numbers for placement of things like shocks and universal axle joints.

Also I was just wondering if there could be more useful info to show the user, and your suggestion is right in that ally Smile

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-26

Roland Melkert Wrote:As for the calc tool, it's funny because I just started working on a generic selection info feature.

[...]

Also I was just wondering if there could be more useful info to show the user, and your suggestion is right in that ally Smile

In my imagination, it would not be just a "calc" feature, or show info. Once you have a path with a fixed step size (16 in this case) associated to a circle path point, you'd (optionally) change the circle's radius not in 0.5 LDU steps (or whatever), but in integer number of donors, the formula is simple: for n donors of size s the radius is (s/2)*sin(180/n).

Of course, this is an idea that I find useful for this particular case, I don't know if it's useful enough in other cases to deserve a real implementation. But, speaking of a calc tool, a triangle solver would be handy. And for showing info, maybe displaying the transformation matrix as angles, when possible.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-26

Just another thing. In the flexible hose template (flexHose.ldr), is it possible to assign different colors to the two components of the start/end caps (752 and 755)? 755 is actually part of the rubber piece, while 752 is hard plastic and can be detached.

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-26

Yes, the end of that path are using the auto groups I wrote about above. They use auto grouping to make placement easier.

You can ungroup them (ctrl+shift+g), like any other normal group to manipulate the loose parts. Afterwards you can reapply the auto groups (in the group menu) or restore it manually (ctrl+g).

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-27

I'm thinking the simplist solution would be to allow the user to set the internal resolution, setting it to 16 in the case of this chain should fix every thing.

Here's a how it looks while using a quick hack (everything uses the 16ldu grid Smile )

[Image: hqChain.png]

Bit offtopic, one perfectionist to another. How would you go on solving placement of multple universal axle joints. I'm having troubles with it even with the new info feature in my beta 2 deb build:

[Image: uniJointProb.png]

It's ok from a distance now, but the axle also needs to 'roll' along it own length, any idea on how to make that easier?

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-29

Roland Melkert Wrote:I'm thinking the simplist solution would be to allow the user to set the internal resolution, setting it to 16 in the case of this chain should fix every thing.

That's probably better, as you'd have to account for the actual chain path not being tangent to the ideal circle, but to the real polygon. Would the user still need to compute the correct radius? And does the "phase" of the second circle change when you rotate the first one?

Quote:Bit offtopic, one perfectionist to another. How would you go on solving placement of multple universal axle joints. I'm having troubles with it even with the new info feature in my beta 2 deb build:

It's ok from a distance now, but the axle also needs to 'roll' along it own length, any idea on how to make that easier?

Not at the moment, I'm afraid. I think all the cases I've dealt with were solvable in a plane, which makes it relatively easy. But a mechanics simulator would rock Big Grin

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Ignacio Fernandez Galvan - 2014-01-29

I would need flexible templates for rigid axles (under strain) and for free pneumatic hoses (without the thicker end). Are this available or planned? Should I try to create them myself?

Re: LDCad 1.3 Beta 1 (win+linux) - Roland Melkert - 2014-01-29

Ignacio Fernandez Galvan Wrote:Would the user still need to compute the correct radius? And does the "phase" of the second circle change when you rotate the first one?

I'm not sure what you mean, the stepping is used to describe the path around all points (bezier and circle a like). Internally the point info is converted to a array of positions and the distance between them is always the grid stepping. So when you set that distance equal to the skin size, it will map perfectly cause the curve section length is equal to the the link (straight) length.

It doesn't matter how many circles (and mixed in beziers) you add to the path the links will line up perfectly except the last one in regards to the first one. To get that one correct the user still needs to play with the circle radius's and bezier ctrl points to get it to close fit exact. I can't provide those radius's because it depends on other points and the things you want the chain to go around etc.

Ignacio Fernandez Galvan Wrote:But a mechanics simulator would rock Big Grin

It's purely placement for now, but the major feature I want to introduce with 1.4 will be animation. At that point simulating the mechanics will become possible using scripts (I hope).