LDraw.org Discussion Forums
How to "inline" a sub-model? - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: How to "inline" a sub-model? (/thread-10774.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How to "inline" a sub-model? - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-16

I noticed that Tore Eriksson "inlined" a lot of parts in Datsville in the past. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'm guessing it means removing a model from a sub-assembly and placing it in a higher-level parent model without messing up the model's position.

I would like to do the same. I would like to extract minifigures from within individual MPD models and place them in a higher "traffic" layer without screwing up their positions.

Am I being clear? How do I accomplish this?

Re: How to "inline" a sub-model? - Orion Pobursky - 2013-11-16

The easiest way to do this that I know about is to use the inline feature of LDraw Design Pad (LDDP)

Re: How to "inline" a sub-model? - Michael Heidemann - 2013-11-17

Inlining means that you substitude a linetype1 reference with the content of that referenced file and take care of the position and orientation.
There are several tools nowadays that can help you to do that (DATHeader, LDDP, Inliner etc.). Depending on real task every application has it benefits.

I hope this answers your question.

Re: How to "inline" a sub-model? - Philippe Hurbain - 2013-11-17

Agreed, this is my tool of choice for this job (except when I need deep inlining down to triangles and quads, there are better tools for that). LDDP is here. LDDP is also useful to do the inverse transformation (create submodels).

Re: How to "inline" a sub-model? - Roland Melkert - 2013-11-17

You can also use my LDCad and it's nesting feature. Just enter nesting mode using the top level model ('n' while nothing is selected) , select (some) of the submodel's parts and press ins. Those parts will the be inserted (cloned) at the top top level model. When done just delete the original sub model reference if needed.

Re: How to "inline" a sub-model? - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-18

How do I go about doing this?

I have "block_012.ldr" which references "building_009_miningfacility.mpd" which references "pedestrian_036_bluefiguresit2.ldr" and "pedestrian_037_bluefiguresit1.ldr". The model "building_009_miningfacility.mpd" uses local coordinates, and "block_012.ldr" uses global coordinates.

This is all for Datsville of course.

https://code.google.com/p/datsville/

Re: How to "inline" a sub-model? - Michael Heidemann - 2013-11-18

I hope I understand now correctly what you like to do:

You have a pedestrian that is in model a that is used in model b. Now you want to "move" the pedestrian to model c that is also referenced in model b and the pedestrian should be at the exact same position.

Hmmm....
If that is correct I do not know about an actual tool that can handle that task.
I have a very vague idea how to solve that, but currently it is too late to give a fully qualified solution.

In the meantime please answer if my idea of your problem is correct.

Re: How to "inline" a sub-model? - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-19

No. The pedestrian is in model a, which is referenced in model b. Model b is referenced in model c. I want to remove model a from model b and place it in model c.

The coordinates are the issue as they are not the same in all three models.

Roland Melkert Wrote:You can also use my LDCad and it's nesting feature. Just enter nesting mode using the top level model ('n' while nothing is selected) , select (some) of the submodel's parts and press ins. Those parts will the be inserted (cloned) at the top top level model. When done just delete the original sub model reference if needed.

That is a good idea, except the minifigure is inside a building and cannot be selected from outside using the mouse.

Michael Heidemann Wrote:Inlining means that you substitude a linetype1 reference with the content of that referenced file and take care of the position and orientation.
There are several tools nowadays that can help you to do that (DATHeader, LDDP, Inliner etc.). Depending on real task every application has it benefits.

I hope this answers your question.

OK, that's not what I want.