LDraw.org Discussion Forums
SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: MOCs (My Own Creations) (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. (/thread-10611.html)

SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-09

What would be the best way to attach streetlamps, fire hydrants, and other stuff to the sidewalks of the attached model and others like it? Is there such thing as a 1x2 hinge? Thanks.

Mike

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Heidemann - 2013-11-09

What about "Technic Brick 1 x 2" or "Brick 1 x 2 with Handle" or "Brick 1 x 2 with Pin" or "Brick 1 x 2 with Studs on Sides" and much more possibilities Smile

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Max Martin Richter - 2013-11-09

I can clearly see the problem, that these parts should be vertical.
I don't know how much friction the hinge of this brick has:
[Image: 30014.1073747687.jpg]
Brick Design ID: 30014
And it's only available in Black and DarkGrey Sad

Or maybe this one: 792c03 (it's available in White)

And see also my attachment for another way. (Note that the pin will be stressed, but it works fine. This is more or less an exploded view. But if the bricks had been assembled, you couldn't see the construction immediately)
All parts are available in White (OK, the 1/2 pin is very expensive ;-) )

/Max

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Willy Tschager - 2013-11-09

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/87087

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/52107

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3937
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3938

w.

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Max Martin Richter - 2013-11-09

When using your suggestions the lampposts etc. will be leaning diagonal in the model...

/Max

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Tim Gould - 2013-11-09

Here you go. Will work at any angle.

[Image: 10764103924_90c27d3934.jpg]

Tim

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Heidemann - 2013-11-09

Ah, now I see where the problem is. The bended portion of the road.
I think your suggestions should work.

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-09

Is this what the un-exploded view is supposed to be like? The idea is intriguing, but it results in several weak spots where parts are just hanging and not actually connected to each other.

No, that is not like it will be in real life. You can push the white part onto the stud and that has a good grip. Try it with real parts.

Edit: It seems that the second stud prevents the white part to snap into the stud. Sad

@Mike: I think, he means the problem with the other stud, which would collide with the Cross Connector...

...well, let's try to play a bit with the available parts ;-)

It's possible to get all parts in white. Note that I used a 1x1 Tile without Groove (OK, that's a rare part IRL...)

/Max

Yes, that looks good. Needs to be approved in real!

I checked this construction before my first post with a simple 2x4 sandwich construction. The friction was OK in my eyes. So that a lamppost or a hydrant should work with this construction.

/Max

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-10

I still think those are weak connections and that the surrounding parts are likely to fall apart under stress.

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-10

Here's what I was able to come up with. I don't like how two of them can't lay flat due to the stud being in the way. Also I need to place a second layer on top of the hinge before I can connect the 2x2 lamppost base.

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-11

I did some googling. Are these street lamps and traffic lights official TLG models? I'm not familiar with newer sets and don't recognize them.

[Image: street_lamp_examples_01_zpseeb9f34c.png][Image: traffic_light_examples_01_zps42bbe9f3.png]

I'm also unfamiliar with the parts. how would I build them?

Mike

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Heidemann - 2013-11-11

First picture, top left = lamp1.ldr

more to come Smile

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Heidemann - 2013-11-11

lamp2 = left picture, top right - the axle that i used for the stand might be longer to really look like on the picture.

lamp3 - left picture, bottom left. Colors needs maybe adjustment.

lamp4 - left picture, bottom right. I am not completely shure how deep the tap can go into the brick 1 x 1.

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Max Martin Richter - 2013-11-11

This lamp is used in official sets.

/Max

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-12

Thank you for building the lamps. I think I like lamp2 and lamp4 the most. However if they were designed by TLG I don't think I could use them because Datsville has an open source license. Were they?

Mike

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-15

Sorry to bother you again. But do you know how the traffic lights are built?

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Heidemann - 2013-11-15

I am sorry, but currently I am not in the mood to rotate those parts and place them like necessary. In the attached file you should find all parts needed. Happy building Smile

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Philippe Hurbain - 2013-11-15

Funny, I just finished to build this model and the other "Technic" traffic light. Attached...

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Heidemann - 2013-11-15

I have a little different solution for your first light, but I think you are closer to the picture Smile

But my file still needs assembling. Happy building Smile

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Philippe Hurbain - 2013-11-15

...and the half Technic pin has no friction so the traffic light could rotate freely. Gravity helps, but I think that my assembly is better. I couldn't figure out the other two traffic light, the images are very small...

I'll give them a try later on. I have for both some idea to realize them.

trafficlight 1, not finished but it shows like it could be done.

Looks good indeed!

Re: SNOT roads and streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. - Michael Horvath - 2013-11-15

Which lamps and traffic lights do you think would look best in Datsville? The lamps need to use part 30383 Hinge Plate as a base. Not sure about the traffic lights as it's unlikely I will build them on a slope.

[edit]

Also, which models were made by TLG?

And now the last one. The design needs to be checked in real, but it pretty much looks like the picture.

File not found:

Are they unofficial and in the queue?

It's a very nice looking model however.

64288.dat is an alias of 59900.dat
6141.dat is an alias of 4073.dat

Just substitude that parts and you see what I see Smile

Thank you! That is my favorite model so far. Do you know if it is an official TLG model?

No, I do not know. But it seems to be not to be an official one if I look to the street crossing. That can't be an official model as there are too many parts and therefore it would have been too expensive Smile But that only my personal thought Smile