LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Micro ball and socket parts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi Magnus,

Due to work commitments I am unlikely to have much (any!) time to deal with any of this for at least a couple of months.

But one point...

I chose to make "joint-8-socket-freeb.dat - Joint-8 Socket Square Free" as it is very likely to be used in future free moving socket parts. Most of the other parts, aside from the technic ones, are retired, and thus do not need so much need primitives.

Tim
The current design of the "joint-8-socket-frica.dat"-primitive is not correct.

If I measure it correct, I find that:
1.)
It should be possible to move the towball ~+/-35 degrees in the horizontal plane.
1 12 -24.574561 -4 -17.207293 0.819152 0 -0.573576 0 1 0 0.573576 0 0.819152 14418.dat
1 14 20 -4 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 14417.dat
2.)
And if the axle on the towball is placed in a vertical position, it should be possible to move it ~+/-5 degrees.
1 12 -30 -4 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 14418.dat
1 14 -4 -19.923894 1.743115 0 1 0 -0.087156 0 -0.996195 -0.996195 0 0.087156 14417.dat
3.)
There should be a gap between the backside of this socket and a brick placed on top, or bottom, of it.
It isn't big, about 0.5 LDU, but easy to see.
1 12 -30 -4 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 14418.dat
1 14 -30 -12 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3023.dat

I'm working on a rewrite, from scratch, if you don't mind, Tim.

Maybe someone could help me and verify my measurements?
Hi Magnus,

Thanks for checking all that. My primitives were made from rendered pictures so it's not surprising they aren't perfect.

I don't mind you doing a rewrite at all. Saves me having to do it Smile

Tim
The socket-primitive is now reworked and all affected parts have been adapted to it.

I would like to renumber it too. "joint-8-socket-frica.dat" is too long.
IMO, the filename should not be used to "describe" the file content. It should be as short as possible.

I even think that we don't need these new ball/socket-primitives.
To me, it isn't a good idea to create all the differently shaped socket primitives, as seen above.
They are only used once or twice in a few parts each, and don't tell the software programmer how they are allowed to move.
They are sub-files, not primitives.

I don't see how the creation of these four new primitives solves the connection problem, if we also need to have the information about how they are allowed to move in a separate library.
Quote:I don't see how the creation of these four new primitives solves the connection problem, if we also need to have the information about how they are allowed to move in a separate library.

Using primitive/subparts permits adding the extra info to those files so any (future) parts will have (some level) of information without adding additional info.

At the very least it will offer a basic solution for those parts until the remaining details are imputed, something that could take quite some time depending on the time of the person doing that.

Just my 2cts from the pov of my LDCad.
Magnus Forsberg Wrote:I don't see how the creation of these four new primitives solves the connection problem, if we also need to have the information about how they are allowed to move in a separate library.

The ball should always have been a primitive IMO. The old sockets were used in limited parts so are more ambiguous. The new sockets are clearly the start of a new system and one expects that more are coming. Easier to start them as a primitive (like e.g. the click hinge) than separate them out later.

My 2c.

Tim
Hi

I was trying to follow the discussion above but I am slightly lost. I was trying to use the mixel ball/socket joints but they do not appear correctly in Bricksmith. Are these part actually complete and correct - I have a feeling it is me and I am doing something wrong...

As you can see, 14704 doesnt appear correctly, nor 14418 and in the leg portion, I can also not get 14419 to appear.

Can anyone advise me - I would be very grateful :-)

Elspeth
[Image: joint-8-socket-frica.png]

It looks like you're missing the socket primitive and maybe the subfile for 14419
[Image: 14419.png]
Please download them from the Part Tracker here
Thank you. Can I just clarify, do only certain dat files go into the p or parts file within LDraw?

Apologies for the basic question but I am very grateful for your help and just trying to get the parts to show correctly.

Thanks
Worked it out when I realised the 's' within the dat file name would be subpart in the parts folder.

Thanks you so so much - I am sorted :-)

Elspeth
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5