LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Micro ball and socket parts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi All,

To avoid duplication, please respond under here with parts you are working on.

Tim
I have modified or made:

63082.dat
98263.dat

14418.dat
14419.dat
14704.dat

joint-8-balla.dat [groove]
joint-8-ballb.dat [no groove]

joint-8-socket-freeb.dat [the old square socket used in 62082]
joint-8-socket-fricta.dat [the new socket]

Please feel free to make any minor corrections at review stage. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to spend on the parts.
OK,

Official parts 2508, 2736, 3184, 3614, 3731, 4089, 6571, 6572, 6574, 6628, 41895 are now back at the PT.

But they don't use the new ball-primitive yet, because I have some issues with them.

1.)
Why do the 8-ball-prim have an extra section of 4-4cyli?
I can't use joint-8-ballb.dat in part 3614.

2.)
I don't like the looks of the "joint-8-socket-fricta.dat"-primitive.
The pictures of the new sockets I can find show something else than the current design.
It should have rounded, softer corners and the hole is also rounded and spherical, not square or semi-cylindrical.
I doubt that the current design allow correct sideways movement.

3.)
I don't like the extemly long file names.
As an active author working in LDDP I do most of my editing in a text editor, and don't want to type it all out every time.
Please consider a shorter name for these new primitives.

4.)
I don't like to remove the word Towball from the descriptions. It has been present for many years now and is established.
If it is removed, let's add it as a keyword.

I'll gladly use them, but let's all agree and discuss it here, before I start integrating them.
I too, made a search in LDFind and found one other part that could use the new 8-ball-prim, 30219
30082 and 30395 need creation of another primitives, towball with a stringhole.

And howabout the old towball socket 3183 and 3730?
They are very similar to 3613 and 3491.
Could that socket-type be made into one primitive?
Magnus Forsberg Wrote:1.)
Why do the 8-ball-prim have an extra section of 4-4cyli?
I can't use joint-8-ballb.dat in part 3614.

Happy to change that one. The balla (was mis-written as balla before) will, I suspect, always be used with the cyli because the origin needs to be standardised.

Quote:2.)
I don't like the looks of the "joint-8-socket-fricta.dat"-primitive.
The pictures of the new sockets I can find show something else than the current design.
It should have rounded, softer corners and the hole is also rounded and spherical, not square or semi-cylindrical.
I doubt that the current design allow correct sideways movement.

They were made from the LDD pictures and could be wrong. Similarly I simplified some of the details to keep the file size smaller. My main goal is to get these very useful parts out in functional and useable form as quickly as possible

Functionally they work. I tested.

Quote:3.)
I don't like the extemly long file names.
As an active author working in LDDP I do most of my editing in a text editor, and don't want to type it all out every time.
Please consider a shorter name for these new primitives.

I too do everything by text. But I would prefer to use names that make sense rather than some complicated abbreviation that is unnecessarily short. I'm sure I'm not alone in typing faster than I can remember Smile

Quote:4.)
I don't like to remove the word Towball from the descriptions. It has been present for many years now and is established.
If it is removed, let's add it as a keyword.

I believe it's long been LDraw standard that names should refer to form and function, but not use. Those parts are no longer "towballs". They are now ball and socket hinges. I agree we should keep the keyword, at least in the old parts.

Quote:I'll gladly use them, but let's all agree and discuss it here, before I start integrating them.

Yes. That is why this thread exists.
The only reason for making the 4cyl8sph-prim was to add a correct edgeline between the sphere and the cyli.
Maybe we could consider adding them into one file?

Are you saying that these new parts are in LDD? I can't find them.
Magnus Forsberg Wrote:The only reason for making the 4cyl8sph-prim was to add a correct edgeline between the sphere and the cyli.
Maybe we could consider adding them into one file?

Not exactly sure what you mean here. Maybe you should just modify the ballb part to something you can use. I really only added it as a placeholder and none of the parts I added use it so consider it totally free for editing Smile

The important thing is that we use some sort of ball (and socket) primitives so that parts can be standardised and connections can be determined algorithmically.

Quote:Are you saying that these new parts are in LDD? I can't find them.

Sorry, I meant the early renders of the Mixels sets produced by LEGO's in-house CAD software.

Tim
Does this mean we should start calling the large Bionicle/Hero Factory-ball joints Ball Joint-12.81's? Smile
There is a suggestion that the primitives be renamed to include Joint-8 first. I agree.

joint-8-socket-frica.dat - Joint-8 Socket with Friction
joint-8-socket-freeb.dat - Joint-8 Socket Square Free
joint-8-socket-balla.dat - Joint-8 Ball ????
joint-8-socket-ballb.dat - Joint-8 Ball with Straight Bar with Groove

Anyone see problems with this?

Tim
Yes, it is a good idea to define the connections, but do we need a primititve for that?
I've read some of the posts here in the forum about snapping parts in LDCad and SR3D.
Both use the primitives, but also need more information about how they are allowed to move or connect.

Think about how a common 2x2 brick is made. It has 4 studs on top and 1 understud on the bottom.
But there are 5 connection points both on the top and the bottom.

Maybe we need a ball primititve, but how about the sockets?
So far I have found 16 different designs .
[attachment=1158]
I don't think it is necessary to create primitives for sockets that are only used once or twice,
like the "joint-8-socket-freeb.dat - Joint-8 Socket Square Free"

Are all the axles connected to the balls of the same size?
This picture shows all the balls I've found so far. The green are fixed at the PT.
[attachment=1157]

There are some unofficial parts in the attached mpd
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5