LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: DATHeader 3.0.9.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I thought that this is not necessary as this function is already build in for over a year, so nobody needs to download now if he already has the current version. Wink
I just had the idea of having the possibility in DATHeader to run the output (on save) through Rectifier as this functionality is still not build in.

I would have to add the following in the option dialog:
checkbox named: use Rectifier on save
textbox named: path to Rectifier.
So far I think no other options are needed.

What do other think about this idea?
Good idea, 5 minutes ago I pestered because I forgot to run rectifier before Datheader Wink This would also accelerate significantly Datheader on big triangle meshes as triangle to quad conversion can be performed by rectifier instead of Datheader.
One thing to maybe add in prefs would be equivalent to -a option, that prevents rectifier to create rect primitives when there is an adjacent condline. Default option should be -a active since this is the most conservative option (if you choose not to add another option for the sake of simplicity, then always activate -a).
Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I asked for:
DATHeader -> Rectifier -> finished

You suggested now:
Rectifier -> DATHeader -> finished

I am right?
Actually the order matters little. What I meant is to remove from Datheader the slow triangle to quad conversion, as this operation is performed by Rectifier.
I have at present problems to run Rectifier here (maybe wrong installed or whatelse).
So please can you just run the attached file through Rectifier and upload the result?
Seems to work perfectly, here attached the result.

Otherwise - after more thoughts - it would be slightly better to run rectifier after datheader: Datheader may split warped quads into triangle, rectifier may be able to pair these triangles with other neighbours.
Yes, the output from Rectifier is perfect Smile

I remembered about a tool from you that left much empty space for not more needed lines. That was the intend of my question.

You are also right that DATHeader could be useful for to split warped quads before, but I do not think that those triangles will ever be planar enough that they are combined with other triangles. Smile

One last question:
Should DATHeader ask for doing that optimisation or only run if all is set in the Options dialog?

I would prefer an extra decision should be done by the user!
Michael Heidemann Wrote:I remembered about a tool from you that left much empty space for not more needed lines. That was the intend of my question.
AFAIK Rectifier is "clean" for that.

Quote:You are also right that DATHeader could be useful for to split warped quads before, but I do not think that those triangles will ever be planar enough that they are combined with other triangles. Smile
Chances are low indeed, but not null...

Quote:One last question:
Should DATHeader ask for doing that optimisation or only run if all is set in the Options dialog?
I would prefer an extra decision should be done by the user!
I think a check box in Options dialog to disable optimisation is enough. A good thing of Datheader is that it can create automatic backup!
Code:
A good thing of Datheader is that it can create automatic backup!

That is hopefully not the only benefit Smile

I just saw, that it is now more than a year after the last release.
As I do not get any feedback over the last month, I would very much like to know:
Are there also other people (except from Philo and me) that use DATHeader ?

I would very much appreciate if all user of DATHeader would just leave a short note here for motivation Smile
Pages: 1 2 3