LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Basebricks, stud4f4n.dat, and ribs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking at the old held or non-ca parts, I thought I'd tackle a group of them at once:

6162 33230 6161
and add 47115 (similar to 6162).

I noticed some discussion on stud4f4n.dat about standardizing these extra primitives, and would like to take it one step further.

Before I uploaded a bunch of new primitives, I thought I'd share my thoughts and see what others think.

The flanges on the stud4f's could extend to the meet the next flange, and additional stud4's with longer flanges could be used for edges and corners. This would reduce the file tree and number of polygons used for each rib.

Groups for single- and double-spaced stud4f's and double-spaced stud4's could be created for the standard cases (4 flanges).

Ribs and rib-groups to make up between double-spaced stud4's and edges could also be created.

I've attached a couple preliminary files to show my thoughts about the non-flush ribs and double-spaced stud groups.

None of the stud4f's are released yet, and the parts that use them aren't either.

Opinions?
Just back from vacation, so please give me a few more days to look at this.
No worries Chris, I've been picking at the above mentioned set of basebricks, and am still playing with logical naming and such.
Attached is an initial version of 47116 using a proposed stud family with flush 't' ribs and stud groups. I was thinking the n's w's, and s's could be similar. I'd take on the rework where they're used too.
Corrected message to include MPD with suggested primitives instead of LDR
Hi Greg,
I've created, and sent to Chris, a set of files that could be used directly, or indirectly, here in your files.
My idea is to create three stud fillet files. One for each different width of the support between the understuds.
Like this:
[Image: stud4f4n.png]

These fillets would make it possible to update stud4f4n.dat, and its siblings, and use them, in all 16 files that currently exists on the Part Tracker, without the need to redesign any parts. We "only" have to move them from s- to p-folder.

This primitive, stud4f4n.dat, could be reused in many of your suggested subfiles.
I look at many of your files and think "subfile", not "primitive".
Magnus - even better idea for the cleanup, re-usability, and flexibility for these odd stud primitives.
I'll continue along the sub-part path for the ribs on the big brick parts, but use the stud4n4n's as so that they can benefit from your improvement.