LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Call to votes: CRLF as official line ending
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please vote on the proposal below. Please modify the Subject to include your name and vote, in addition to giving your vote in the text.

Move this:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article512.html#termination

Quote:Line Termination

All lines in the file must use the standard DOS/Windows line termination of <CR><LF> (carriage return/line feed). The last two bytes of the file must be <CR><LF>. (In other words, there must be a <CR><LF> line terminator at the end of the last line in the file.)

to

the LDraw.org File Format Version 1.0.1 page.

and add:

Quote:It is recommended that all LDraw-compliant programs also be capable of reading files with the standard Unix line termination of <LF> (line feed).
I vote no. I disagree with requiring a final line terminator at the end of the file.

Bricksmith has generated files without a final line terminator since its inception.

Allen
I agree with this, there is no need for a final line separation no mater the format used.

If this was part of the original pre voting discussion then I must have missed that sorry.
Since Roland has indicated that he will vote no (even though he hasn't yet), I'll just vote NO here to kill this vote (since 2 NO votes prevent passage).
I would appreciate that the people who down-voted the proposal, clean up the mess they left, before we dive into new topics like texture. Please bring forward a proposal we can further discuss or vote on.

w.
Calling it a mess is a bit harsh I think Smile

Everyone seems to be ok with the dos format, only hick-up is the 'must end with' bit. So we could probably re-vote with that part of the text removed, or do we need more discussion?
I would be happy with the following:

Add this:

All lines in the file must use the standard DOS/Windows line termination of <CR><LF> (carriage return/line feed). The file is permitted (but not required) to end with a <CR><LF>.

to

the LDraw.org File Format Version 1.0.1 page.

and add:

Quote:It is recommended that all LDraw-compliant programs also be capable of reading files with the standard Unix line termination of <LF> (line feed).
In addition to the above, we need to remove the line termination text from the part restrictions document. Whether we remove the "last line must end with <CR><LF>" part is not something I care one way or another about, so I will go along with whatever the consensus is.
Here a summary of the new proposal. Have your final say before we pass this to a vote.

Delete:

All lines in the file must use the standard DOS/Windows line termination of <CR><LF> (carriage return/line feed). The last two bytes of the file must be <CR><LF>. (In other words, there must be a <CR><LF> line terminator at the end of the last line in the file.)

at:

LDraw.org File Format Restrictions for the Official Library

and add:

All lines in the file must use the standard DOS/Windows line termination of <CR><LF> (carriage return/line feed). The file is permitted (but not required) to end with a <CR><LF>. It is recommended that all LDraw-compliant programs also be capable of reading files with the standard Unix line termination of <LF> (line feed).

to the :

LDraw.org File Format Version 1.0.1 page.
Looks good to me.
Perfect