LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Color questions (was: 3816ps5 Minifig Leg Right with SW Gunbelt Pattern)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The renders aren't matching because I used lgeo with a custom lg_color.inc, which is based on the original TLG RGB values (that is what I've been told). You can find it here (Page 5 first posting).
But I don't get what you are trying to do here. Why tweak the existing copper? It's alright as it is. It's just useless for patterns since it has a pearl finish and is too dark. A lighter color with a metallic finish is needed here.
DO NOT use lgeo colors to determine if your parts look right!!! LDConfig is the official color set for making instructions, and LDConfig_Alt is the official color set for rendering. Certainly not all of the colors are exactly correct in lgeo and not all are correct in LDConfig, but I take all requests to update color values seriously and spend a great deal of time continuously improving color values and adding new colors.

After looking through real parts and pictures of real parts, I found that the color Metallic Gold is the color that you want for 553pb01. LDConfig did not have a good match for this color, which is why you objected to it earlier. Metallics and Pearls are the hardest to match, since they look different at different angles, in different lights, etc. Fortunately, a good picture of a metallic gold part was recently added, which allowed me to better match the color: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=95676

I've attached a picture comparing MLCad, LDView, and POV-Ray; as well as the updated LDConfig and LDConfig_Alt used to make these renders.

Please feel free to email me future color change requests, and always try to base your color choices off of real parts / real pictures. Bricklink does a fairly good job of categorizing parts by color: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp

Thanks,
Scott W.
Hello Scott, just being curious, I have compared LDConfig.ldr vs LDCfgalt.ldr colors (only part colors,
not edge colors) and was surprised: I expected "many" differences or "none", but what I found was just "few":

"Lime": #A5D426 vs #BBE90B
"Rust": #A52D0A vs #B31004
"Trans_Bright_Green": #56E646 vs #D9E4A7
"Trans_Green": #237841 vs #84B68D
"Glitter_Trans_Clear": #FCFCFC vs #FFFFFF
"Rubber_Yellow": #ECC935 vs #F5CD2F

That's all. Especially for rubber yellow I wonder why there's a difference, since Rubber_Blue, Rubber_White etc. have no such difference. Are all these (few) differences by intention? As said, just curious.

I had never used LDCfgalt.ldr at all, just use LDConfig.ldr, even for rendering, and am happy with that.
Again, just being curious, which rendering programs use the edge colors setup in LDCfgalt.ldr? Why would one need such?
All my photorealistic renders with POVRay just use the main body color, not the edge color.
It's still too yellow.
But okay, you don't want to add a new color, so be it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4