LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDView Bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I may be able to implement something so that LDView gives you a dialog saying it ran out of memory before exiting, but I'm not going to ever be making the problem go away entirely. These models simply use to much memory when you have LDView set to super-high curve quality and High memory usage. There's nothing that can be done about that.

Also, as a general rule, LDView's default curve quality setting (second notch) is good for displaying models. Going above that doesn't really have a huge impact except when zoomed in quite close, and memory usage goes up dramatically.
Chris Dee provided a link to the 16x24 baseplate with underside details on the parts tracker. To see any of the others, simply click on the Stud Underside Baseplate subfile link on that page (or here). to get a list of all the baseplates on the tracker with underside detail.
uh, yes, I know, I had just simply wanted the handful of lines from the model file to quickly fire up LDView with it
Quote:Also, as a general rule, LDView's default curve quality setting (second notch) is good for displaying models. Going above that doesn't really have a huge impact except when zoomed in quite close, and memory usage goes up dramatically.
Another point is that intersection lines (say between two cylinders in random position) or junctions between round primitives and triangle/quads assume that normal resolution round primitives are 16-sided, so any curve quality setting other than second notch may result in wrong looking parts.
It wasn't only some simple test model. I tested it with some larger model- It is the official 6080 King's Castle....
Right now I've modled many of my models with these underside stud baseplates, because I like to look in 3D on them from all the sides.
It's right that almost nobody makes a pov-ray (or other raytracing) shot, where you can the these underside stud besides I modeld some advanced building model and used the baseplates in another way.
But in LDView the model seems to float in midair and so it happens easily that you look from beneath at it - and there I like it to see these details,which are much easier to see than the stud underside of a brick.

I attached the model
Pages: 1 2