LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Fixes to 4522 Minifig hammer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think there are some wrong dimensions on part 4522. Based on its use in set 10185 (see image), I propose that the head should be an even 12 LDU wide, instead of 12.5. And it should probably be centered on the handle, so it protrudes 8 LDU on either side (right now it's ~8.5 and 7.5).

Does anyone know of any other uses that would support (or refute) these adjustments?
[attachment=11059]
Checking with calipers it is indeed 4,79mm  to 4.85mm translating to 12 LDU

Interestingly the raw data shows also a 12.5 LDU height, meaning even in LEGOs tools this should create a collission :-)

Blue is the one in the library, col16 is the original data
[attachment=11061]
(2024-02-09, 11:04)Gerald Lasser Wrote: [ -> ]Checking with calipers it is indeed 4,79mm  to 4.85mm translating to 12 LDU

Interestingly the raw data shows also a 12.5 LDU height, meaning even in LEGOs tools this should create a collission :-)

Blue is the one in the library, col16 is the original data

Looks like I'm right about needing to lengthen the nose, then? Is that 8 LDU on either side of the handle (and therefore, 24 LDU all the way across)?

Where can one find the raw data, anyway?
(2024-02-10, 4:25)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like I'm right about needing to lengthen the nose, then? Is that 8 LDU on either side of the handle (and therefore, 24 LDU all the way across)?

Where can one find the raw data, anyway?

Here you are:
Thanks. Attached my improved version. As well as correcting these dimensions, I've also made the point a little more blunt, and removed the 45 degree rotated prims (so the tip lies exactly at 12 LDU).
(2024-02-11, 2:58)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. Attached my improved version. As well as correcting these dimensions, I've also made the point a little more blunt, and removed the 45 degree rotated prims (so the tip lies exactly at 12 LDU).

Is this difference big enough to make the old version obsolete?

Someone might have made a model where the mallet is placed standing on its head. 
Or one where the head strikes the surface of a pole/bar.

I think we need to make this 4522a.dat, and obsolete the old mallet.
(2024-02-11, 16:17)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]Is this difference big enough to make the old version obsolete?

Someone might have made a model where the mallet is placed standing on its head. 
Or one where the head strikes the surface of a pole/bar.

I think we need to make this 4522a.dat, and obsolete the old mallet.

Possibly, as the handle was also lengthened by 0.5 so that the overall length remains at 60 LDU.
Sorry to let the discussion lapse. I've submitted the improved version as 4522a.